It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Understand Americans.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The 13 Colonies broke away from The Monarchy, yet thousands of Americans are in London cheering the Royal Couple as if they where their own Royal Family. Why?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
A lot of them can't remember back 235 years ago, and a good majority of them have nothing better to do.

But for the most part they are SHEEPLE!
edit on 29-4-2011 by neOrevolutionist because: word change

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Just like the Commonwealth the United States also has a bunch of Idiots. I know the monarchy has limited power supposedly. And the culture is kinda neat. But why do the Brits still tolerate a king and/or a queen. And even the idea of royalty. I would think it would be insulting. I certainly wouldn't bow to any of those clowns. I supposedly have royal blood lines from both sides of my family and I never thought for a second that it really means anything. Except the neatness factor which wore off fast. They were French on dads side and Scottish Stuarts on my mothers side. Wait WTF I didn't get to go to the wedding!

lol. I am kidding you couldn't of paid me to go to that wedding.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

A good portion of Americans immigrated here after the American revolution. Some still have strong ties to Europe, and take pride in their English culture. Myself as an American could care less about the royals. Don't hate them, don't follow them. Just another celebrity news story.
But if someone else is into that kind of stuff, then thats their buisness. I personally find weddings boring, the only part I ever enjoy is the open bar after the reception. So even if I was a follower of the royal family I doubt I would ever watch a wedding on TV.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think many Americans are just fascinated by the idea of royalty. It's all so extravagant, like a fairy tale. I mean, what little girl didn't want to be a princess when she grows up

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I blame the Media.. Turning it into the "Event" of the year..

EDIT TO ADD: And you know America is a consumer driven country, Filled with Heavily brainwashed citizens..
edit on 29-4-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

And like it or not alldaylong, you just added to the media fanfare and fascination (internet being media) with this thread.

IRM

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This is just my guess...

Its not royalty as much as its celebrity that is the attraction.

I'm an American and lets face it - a good % of our population just cannot get enough of celebrities or famous people. We'll even go so far as to create reality shows and catapult the starts of those to celebrity status enough to draw hordes of fans even if they are basically drunken thugs from Jersey or unwed teens.

So, when you have something like this go on it feeds the celebrity hunger of many Americans.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's like saying "Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and the US nuked them during WW2, but now all the Americans are concerned about their health after the earthquakes/nuclear disaster/etc as if they were best friends. Why?"

The past, while it affects the events of the future in some serious ways, doesn't always have the direct impact on each individual person that you're assuming.
edit on 29-4-2011 by potaco because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by potaco

Right.....it's because that war was fought by a different generation. Our generation does not have a beef with Japan. That's like saying I can't have an African American friend because Caucasians kept them as slaves long ago. That was then and this is now.....things are different. I'm American and I got up very early watch the wedding....the reason? Curiosity I guess.....

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I dont want to watch it and dont care... unless they get all rioty. Id find it hilarious if all of the opposing protestors started brawling. Like British Death Match.... Anarchists versus Muslims... live.

Im joking... I remember watching and enjoying Diana and CHarles' wedding, but this one I really dont care about in the least. Its gonna take a lot more than some ugly boy and pretty girls wedding to distract me from the current DOOOM!!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
We're just happy that we don't have to pay to support the royalty's extravagant lifestyles anymore. If it's not our problem, might as well celebrate!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Although we broke away from English rule ages ago, many of us still trace our ancestry in English roots. I myself trace it back to a minor noble family in Wales.

In addition, since the split, England has been one of America's staunchest allies. There is a camaraderie between our two peoples, and we share a lot of similarities (more than just a language, sans accent or spelling).

Add to that, that many of us grew up with the whole royal family. Fairy tales of princes and princesses dominate our youth, and many of us watched Diana marry Charles, and saw the boys grow over time.

Just as we feel a kinship for other celebrities we've grown up with, same for them.

A royal wedding is pageantry, fantasy, elegance, etc., a lot of the qualities that we'd like to see more of in our own lives. Is it really a wonder, that for one moment, people want to share in that a little bit?

Having a lot of English friends, and having spent some time there on various occasions, I can tell you that the monarchy isn't some archaic figurehead to the English people. The monarchy is the embodiment of English tradition, the soul of its people, and a global representative of the best of English culture. Indeed, the Queen is the heart of the nation and its people. You just don't have that same kind of thing when your leader changes every 4 years. Yes, democracy is great, and I wouldn't change it, but its nice to see this tradition preserved somewhere.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I can't understand all those that are part of the Commonwealth.

Why in the year 2012 there are countries full of people who idolize these Royals.

Why haven't they have been thrown out like Russia,Italy,Greece did and numerous other countries.

The Shrieks and emirs and any place in the world that revere people because of their lineage.

The Windsors are even weirder because they are not even English the English line died off and they had to find a German from the house of Hanover to take the crown.

Heck Liz's husband is Greek.

But why do you idiots put up with them today.

Probably why ET visitors to this world won't show themselves they think were all "screwed" up down here.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
I think many Americans are just fascinated by the idea of royalty. It's all so extravagant, like a fairy tale. I mean, what little girl didn't want to be a princess when she grows up

I agree. And anyways, everything is cool between our countries now. It was fun watching the wedding and I still have it recorded and a bit more of it to watch. They do seem like a cute couple and seemed to be having fun through it all. Oh and by the way, I still want to be a princess when I grow up.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

Yes other countries got rid of the Monarchy. Take Germany and Russia for instance. Oh they had Hitler and Lenin as head of state. Point made.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I was asking a women at work the same question the other day. She told he her daughter's were going to stay up with Grandma and watch the wedding live.

I guess she saw the look on my face, cause she then said "Your a guy, you wouldn't understand, it a Prince and future princess getting married." Lots of girls grow up with this romantic vision of Princess and Princesses. In a weird sort of way, her comments shed some light onto the mystery for me.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

Grandma has lived through history, and she knows it in the making, when she sees it. I'll bet she can remember what she was doing when historic events happened, and she wants to see future generations also embrace it when history happens in front of their eyes.

And of course, who can resist seeing fantasy become reality?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neOrevolutionist
A lot of them can't remember back 235 years ago, and a good majority of them have nothing better to do.

But for the most part they are SHEEPLE!
edit on 29-4-2011 by neOrevolutionist because: word change

I could careless what happened 235 years ago. I wasn't here! All you people who think everyone should think back and hold onto what happened in the world in the past need to get a grip. The PAST IS THE PAST! Nothing I or anyone else can do.....holding a grudge much?

Also OP people are celebrating two people getting married. It's a love story and IMO a really sweet one. Obviously you have no heart and don't get it.

Im American and I watched it. I have plenty to do and multitasked while watching it.

Also why do you even give a crap what American's choose to do?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join