It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Branching Off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Over the last few years I've gotten the impression that there is a "branching off" of a section of society that seems to be qualitatively different than mere differences in class structure.

I see the majority as going one way, but a good chunk of people going in the exact opposite direction. I take a rough guestimate that there's about 80% of the people who are regressing, and about 20% who are progressing.

Take health as an example. 4 out of 5 people out there are overweight or obese, else have a very poor diet. 1 in 5 is health conscious, exercises regularly, eats healthy, etc.

I see the same applied to most areas of life. I see most people as mindlessly going with the flow, but a stable minority as realizing the folly of the social and cultural structures, and doing their own thing.

It seems that the gap is becoming wider between those who are aware of what's going on to the environment and society, and act accordingly, and those who aren't aware, or choose to ignore the signs.

I think this may lead to what will likely be called "class warfare". It doesn't seem to be related to class, but I have a feeling that societal pressures will point the finger this way.

Does any of this make sense to anyone, or am I alone here?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

For several years now, I have felt maybe that one of the best things the US could do is to split. Cut it right down the middle, one side is for those that believe and wish to live by The Constitution as the law of the land. Then the other side who wish to continue to be slaves, take handouts and entitlements and do what the government says.

I would be very interested in exploring this possibility.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

That's interesting, although not quite the direction I was looking to have this thread go into.

What I'm defining is a bit boxless. What I mean is that those who are "aware" from my point of view don't stick to any political ideology, and that includes being a constitutionalist. I see labels, and people who claim to be part of these labels. I see mounds of hypocrisy, basically.

I'm not on the left, or the right, or even in the center. I'm an individual, who chooses to write my own story.

edit on 29-4-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I agree with you 100% as I have always marched to my own drum beat, which does cause problems with other parts of society when I "rebel" against their wishes. At times, it just seems to me that with the diversity of the US there is absolutely no way to get enough people to agree on anything to effectively live together as a society and to put aside petty differences. So splitting the country seems to be the only solution where certain parts of society could split off and everyone be happy and model each side to likings of society and tailor it suit each sides wishes.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

You bring up some interesting points.

I don't think splitting up the federal government would accomplish much, to be honest.

I think what needs to be done is to reassess the stories we tell ourselves. One we can find common unity, we can live in a sense of community again.

I think the problem with the federal government is that it doesn't liberate OR secure the people whom inhabit the lands. You can't fix those problems without first developing a sense of unity within the people. The unity CAN be had, it just needs to be kept to what can reasonably be universally accepted.

I think the declaration of independence and constitution was a great story that had it's time, but the terrain has changed over the last 2+ centuries, and we need a new great story that hits us deep down. It can be done.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by Skewed

I think the declaration of independence and constitution was a great story that had it's time, but the terrain has changed over the last 2+ centuries, and we need a new great story that hits us deep down. It can be done.

Yes they were and still are great stories and I am open to change. But the change that is happening is not for the people and by the people. Certain entities are effectively removing that belief system into something that suits them. At the moment The Constitution is all we have and no other story to tell other than one of greed and usurpation. You are correct it can be done, but we are not even headed in the right direction of creating a story that the people can be proud of telling. Until we make the necessary changes in America to change mindsets I think having a United States of America East/North and United States of America West/South would be a solution, not the best or ideal, but in someways better than what we are doing now.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join