It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Stop Amish From Selling Milk

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm sick of them trying to control us. IF we want to buy unpasturized milk and IF we die from it then let it be our choice. BACK OFF FEDS!!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm friends with several professional Rugby players, and these guys are all about health, they spent most their days training or in the gym, and have plenty time to look into what's good for the body and what isn't.

Strangely, none of them consume aspartame, and the all drink raw milk. Seems odd that the one which is seemingly unhealthy is mass sold and promoted, and the one with benefits is blackballed.

Pretty soon they'll be trying to stop us from eating fermented cheese because it's dangerous. I say let me eat what I want and go campaign against McDonalds.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Whether you like it or not, there are standards when it comes to selling food. If the facility wasn't meeting compliance, then someone can get really sick.
Just because it used to be unpasteurized, doesn't mean that people are used to unpasteurized now. Not having the bacteria in teh system shocked it.
Milking a cow and throwing it in a bottle may seem quaint. But there are sanitazation protocols, and you dont want someone giving bacteria filled milk to an infant.

And that would be a fair point, if not for the hypocrisy. There's tons of dangerous and massively unhealthy foods and drinks that are sold to us, no issue.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

If they really were concerned for our well being, they should be shutting down the farms that have the animals living in conditions that lead to their disease and needing constant drugs to keep them alive. The conditions the animals are raised in are what cause them to be in poor health to begin with.
So what do we do? Instead of fixing the farming practices, we irradiate or use toxins like ammonia to kill bacteria in our food that wouldn't have been there to begin with.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Said like a person who lives in the city and thinks food is made and not grown.I grew up on a farm and drank unpastuerized milk everyday and have never ounce been sick.And trust me on this one the ,Amish have been milking cows and doing it safely forever.It's about control of food and nothing else.Btw i know were not free to choose for ourselves anymore but no one was forcing these people to drink it..all respect..Just curious are you female?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Oh dear me! of course raw milk isn't safe.
Women need to stop feeding their infants raw milk too.
It's unpatriotic!
I would say ENOUGH!
Time for the Amish to start getting rowdy!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Milk is one of the first food groups to become irradiated after a nuclear reactor meltdown. The fallout ends up on/in the plants that the cattle feed upon. They concentrate that radiation into milk which is direct to the consumer.

What has changed? Fukushima is producing an unending stream of radioactive poisons that are even more deadly when ingested.

Fukushima is like an unwelcome visitor that will not go away until we physically remove it.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I found a really great site that breaks down this whole debate. Sorry if this has been posted already but as I am gradually moving away from pasteurized cows milk anyway due to health concerns...milk is something I have been doing a lot of looking into lately.

From the site:

Pasteurization's great claim to popularity is the widespread belief, fostered by its supporters, that tuberculosis in children is caused by the harmful germs found in raw milk. Scientists have examined and tested thousands of milk samples, and experiments have been carried out on hundreds of animals in regard to this problem of disease-carrying by milk. But the one vital fact that seems to have been completely missed is that it is CLEAN, raw milk that is wanted. If this can be guaranteed, no other form of food for children can, or should, be allowed to take its place.

Probably pasteurization's worst offense is that it makes insoluble the major part of the calcium contained in raw milk. This frequently leads to rickets, bad teeth, and nervous troubles, for sufficient calcium content is vital to children; and with the loss of phosphorus also associated with calcium, bone and brain formation suffer serious setbacks.

The process of pasteurization was debated in the House of Commons and the suggestion made that no raw milk should be sold for human consumption. This would mean installation of expensive machinery by every supplier, and if it should become compulsory there is little doubt that many small firms would shut down and the business pass in the hands of a few big dealers.

With regards to the prevention of souring; sour raw milk is very widely used. It is given to invalids, being easily digested, laxative in its properties, and not unpleasant to take. But, after pasteurization, the lactic acid bacilli are killed. The milk, in consequence, cannot become sour and quickly decomposes, while undesirable germs multiply very quickly.

www.realmilk.com...

The part about the effects on children really struck me because while we are currently looking all over for answers to what may be causing children to be born a bit wackier than they used to be...we might be ignoring the cow in the room.
edit on 29-4-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Here's a radical idea, though: People should be responsible for ensuring their own safety. If you don't want to risk it with milk - don't buy raw milk.

Otherwise we might as well outlaw scissors, gasoline, and all sorts of other things that people might inadvertantly hurt themselves with. Hell, sharp corners on home furniture because you can do some SERIOUS damage to yourself if you stumble and take a header onto one of those!

I'm SICK of the government thinking people can't take care of themselves - especially when they ruin so many things for so many people. "Oh no, social security is a must and everyone has to stay in it!" Crap, I say. Refund me what I've got in the system and let save my own damned money. Quit wasting so much of our money overseas and on the drug war and other atrocities and use THAT money to cover the people still in the system who aren't paying in anymore, but I want out.

I WANT to be able to drink raw milk like my ancestors did if I feel like it. Who is anyone else to tell me I can't? I'm an american, and SUPPOSEDLY have the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - which means as long as I don't ruin it for anyone else, I can do as I will. But no. Some people always think they know what's better for someone else. All of these idiots need to BUTT OUT.

And the fact that everyone just keeps taking it...I can't wait for this people to rediscover their american heritage, seriously.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This is amazing to say the least of it. The goverment has been feeding me raw bull#@&$ for years but that seems to be okay! It's out of control and I am scared to see what comes next!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
But most importantly, it was not labeled as unpasturized milk.

In agreement here, I see no problems if their milk simply came with a disclaimer...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
What really pisses me off is the hypocrisy in all of this. Here's a few examples;

- Sugary drinks and sodas - cause obesity and loss of bone mass (true for cola sodas, which contain phosphoric acid) when consumed frequently. Frequent consumption of sugar contained in sodas causes damage to teeth. Soda and Loss of Bone Mass
Soda Pop and Your Dental Health

- Alcohol - May become addictive, resulting in liver damage. According to the CDC, there are 79,000 deaths per year from excessive alcohol consumption. Each year approximately 16,000 people are killed as a result of drunk driving. I won't even mention the number of fights and physical abuses that happen with the help of alcohol consumption.
Drunk Driving Facts
CDC Alcohol fact sheet

- Pharmaceuticals - Over-the-counter pills as simple as Tylenol taken for headaches or body aches can cause liver damage. People who take Tylenol on a daily basis to relieve chronic pain are at a higher risk of developing kidney cancer. Some allergy medications can cause all sorts of bad symptoms, including drowsiness, dizziness, high blood pressure, insomnia, headaches, cataracts, suicidal behavior, and so forth. Acetaminophen/Tylenol
Allergy Medications

- Cigarettes - May cause severe addiction and a large number of health risks, including several forms of cancer. According to the CDC there are approximately 443,000 tobacco-related deaths per year just in the U.S. alone.
CDC - Tobacco-Related Deaths

Do I think any of these things should be illegal? No! Are they dangerous? They certainly can be. The beauty of the thing is that we make a choice. We choose to drink or smoke, or eat to our heart's content. Others choose to abstain from these things. It's all down to the risks we are willing to take.

Supposedly raw dairy products may cause diarrhea, upset stomach and vomiting. I've never had any of this happen to me while consuming raw products, but I'm willing to admit that this may be a possibility when raw dairy products aren't safely obtained. Some people may have adverse reactions to these food products, but even if this is a valid concern, adverse effects of raw dairy products still don't come even close to the side-effects produced by some of these legal items I listed above.

I honestly tried to find the statistics on how many people die per year from consuming raw dairy, but all I could find is this Drinking Raw Milk: More Details on the Risks It states that:

Among outbreaks of illness transmitted by dairy products reported to CDC between 1973 and 2008 in which the investigators reported whether the dairy product was pasteurized or raw, 82 percent were due to raw milk or cheese. From 1998 through 2008, 86 outbreaks due to consumption of raw milk or raw milk products were reported to CDC. These outbreaks resulted in 1,676 illnesses, 191 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths.

Between 1973 and 2008, there were 2 deaths attributed to raw milk or cheese! Admittedly not very many people consume raw dairy products in the U.S. due to the fact that it is illegal in some states, but still..... two deaths in 35 years isn't so bad compared to the hundreds of thousands of deaths per year due to other perfectly legal substances. That's pretty impressive, actually, seeing as (according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology) about 100 people per year die from peanut-related allergies.

In addressing the supposed 82% who became ill after consuming raw milk, did they store it properly??? Were the cows kept in a clean environment? Was the person who consumed the product lactose-intolerant/allergic? There are many factors here. People are used to storing pasteurized milk for two or three weeks before it goes bad. You can only store raw milk for a few days before it expires. Was this taken into account by those keeping records? When you make something illegal, you create a black market for the item, which doesn't care much for health standards, a clean environment and consumer concern. I liken it to having your neighbor drilling or pulling your teeth instead of allowing a licensed dentist to do it.

If you believe the product isn't completely safe, put warning labels on it! The Government forced to put warning labels on cigarettes and alcohol, so why not placing them on bottles of raw dairy products and allowing people to decide for themselves? I have a suspicion of why they're not willing to do it. I've tasted raw dairy products, and they are delicious. The pasteurized milk is only a shadow of the real thing. If raw milk hit the market and people started getting a taste of it, many would refuse to go back to the pasteurized crap they sell in the store these days. What they call "milk" is white water crap. The fact that it keeps for up to three weeks is hint enough that something isn't right.

edit on 29-4-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
THe amish will sell you milk here in sillinois but there is a catch...you have to milk the cow yourself. Is raw milk legal in some states and not others?

I grew up on a farm and that 's all we consumed was milk straight from the cow...sometimes my dad would bring in the milk in the morning and it was still quite warm..we didn't like having our cereal with warm milk.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i would like to see a headline that reads feds stop mexican drug cartels from selling massive amounts of coc aine for once.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Maybe it's possible that the buyers can sue the state if they get sick. Thus, the state doesn't want to allow it for that reason (to prevent lawsuits).

I'm only guessing. It wouldn't be the first time something similar has been done. "Yes nanny..."

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I don't even bother with this garbage anymore. Ever since I started reading more and more stories just like this one, I came to the realization that this will only happen more frequently until people take it upon themselves to counter-act these unconstitutional measures by the government. I was going to say 'our' government, but it's not even ours. It belongs to the banks and the corporate conglomerate.

I make my own nut/coconut/hemp milk. If I really wanted raw cow's milk...I would probably have to go to the farmer, incognito, and do the deed there.
edit on 29-4-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Wonder if they know how despised they are as they lead us farther down the road to fascism.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
On the conspiracy side, the Amish dont vaccinate their
children and their children dont get Autism.
So they are on the governments hit list.

healthwyze.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Okay, now I really do believe the world has gone mad!

Amish people in trouble for selling unpasteurised milk? OMG call in the Army and bomb the hell out of them

Seriously though, I grew up on a dairy farm in New Zealand. We lived on unpasteurised milk and I comsumed a LOT (like 2 litres a day as a teenager) I never ever ever had any illnesses related to drinking the milk.......

If the powers that be really really want to make sure milk is safe to consume (pasteurized or not) the best way is to keep a close eye on animal health and the hygiene of the milking and bottling plant. Amish people are very old school and very in tune with nature, so I am sure they would pass any such tests with flying colours.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I'd rather have unpasturized milk and product from a local farmer. Sometimes I get lucky, mostly just in europe/austria though...

I hate treatment. I don't drink "city water", nor do i touch it/shower in it.

I also rarely get sick. IMMUNITY!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join