It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Stop Amish From Selling Milk

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

That year could have gone to ending the proliferation of counterfeit meds that the masses are hooked on.

Attacking someone that has not asked for help is....oh wait...that is exactly what America does best. Please disregard, it seems those Amish needed to be liberated.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
What people fail to fully understand is that the FDA is concerned with commerce. It is NOT concerned with human health. The name says it all, it is not called Human Health Concerns Via Product Consumption. Human and Health are not on the title.

This means their effort that Humans should not consume Raw Milk is NOT from a health standpoint, but a commerce one. Pasteurized milk is easier and better to sell for profit reasons, farms selling raw milk run the risk of much lower profits due to spoilage and stores run the risk of law suits etc. The FDA seeks to mitigate the problem, human consumption is not the point.

It is a really odd thing. People want to believe the FDA and EPA are agencies to protect people. Wrong. FDA is to protect commerce, the EPA is to protect the physical earth - of which humans are only standing on it. Folks get angry when these agencies perform the mandate simply because the fail to actually understand what these agencies do. There is a lot of stuff about the EPA and FDA's difference on radiation. The EPA is only looking at the issue with regard to the earth environment, not humans - Environmental Protection Agency, not Human Protection Agency.

I do not condone what they do, they are in fact misleading people into the above beliefs, and their tactics are as deplorable as their logic.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
One year Sting Operation - and this cost the US HOW much money?

Why would it take a Whole Year to figure out that the milk was not meeting the "standards" set by the Feds?

Why was a "Sting" operation needed to buy milk?

"WE" don't have anything better to "Sting" than milk?

This is a real "Give me a break" control situation and shows clearly that (I guess) the TPTB don't have anything better to do with their time?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Whether you like it or not, there are standards when it comes to selling food. If the facility wasn't meeting compliance, then someone can get really sick.
Just because it used to be unpasteurized, doesn't mean that people are used to unpasteurized now. Not having the bacteria in teh system shocked it.

Doesn't sound as though you come from a farming community. I do.
I used to get unpasteurized here in the UK. The only regulation was that it was accredited brucellosis free. With some safeguards, it was perfectly safe. People should have the choice. Pasteurized milk is a horrible replica of the real thing. The two products are entirely different. Who here prefers fresh ground coffee to instant? Well that's about the difference.
Perhaps you would like the government to hold your hand while you go to the toilet? After all you might fall in!
We live in a nanny state.
edit on 29-4-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman

...Pasteurized milk is easier and better to sell for profit reasons, ...

So, are you saying that pasteurization has zero health benefit?

Seriously?

I mean, I will be the first on the block to condemn the FDA for its propping up BIG AG, (since I have worked on a number of ranches, you could read some of my older rants on this topic), and I can tell you all about how seriously compromised both FDA and CDC are as regards their stated mission.

On the other hand, Do you think Louis Pasteur was an evil genius, or a scientist, trying to help common people?

Do you know who he was and what he did?
edit on 29-4-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Good, I'm glad those Amish got what was coming to them. Now I can go back to drinking my drug-resistant superbacteria filled "pasteurized" bovine beverages.

I hope they go after those that sell eggs from free range chickens next, who do those people think they are not packing chickens in so tight they can't move and loading them up with drugs so less of them die before getting the required number of eggs.

After that, better gun down the grassfed beef farmers so we don't have any competition for the ecoli infested ammonia filled corn fed "meat".

Then go after any of those farmers that put poop on their crops instead of industrial fertilizer, and anyone not using Monsanto products should be put on the terrorist suspect list.

(yes, this is all sarcastic if you are thick enough to think otherwise)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I hope that farm doesn't loose it's cows over this. My guess is they started not shipping as much milk as usual when they started selling it out the back door. The creamery ratted them out. The creamery will buy milk for about ten cents a pound, which is 80 cents a gallon. I bet that farmer was making 4 bucks a gallon. I say this troubled started because of the greed of the creamery.

In Michigan it is illegal to sell raw milk, so we do the cow share thing. I know a guy who delivers raw milk about 90 miles away and gets $8.00 a gallon. Why? People want raw milk and are willing to pay for it.

I would not buy a cow share unless I saw the conditions of the barn and cows.

I have my own Jersey milk cow. After drinking her unprocessed milk, I can't stand processed milk. It tastes cooked to me. It also has a skunky after taste. Raw milk has no after taste. It is like drinking a milk shake. I make all kinds of products with the milk and I love sharing it with friends. I don't make money on it. I love to show people how to make cheese, butter, yogurt, butter oil, ricotta etc.

I hate what corporate America has done to our country. We are not free.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Yes, pasteurization has zero health benefit. It kills the benefitial bacteria present in the raw milk which leaves no competition for these new drug-resistant super bacteria we hear about these days and also leaves people more sensitive to milks proteins.
Most, if not all contamination of milk happens after the pasteurization prossess. This is the same way that raw milk has been contaminated in the past, by storage or transportation contamination.
edit on 29-4-2011 by PplVSNWO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
While I agree whole heatedly that I would trust the Amish when it come to food. We do have strict standards when it comes to milk and pasteurization. There are valid reasons for this process. So I will have to actually side with the government for once on this one.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

This is so stupid

Exactly why the government is hated so much

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mappam
One year Sting Operation - and this cost the US HOW much money?

Why would it take a Whole Year to figure out that the milk was not meeting the "standards" set by the Feds?

Why was a "Sting" operation needed to buy milk?

"WE" don't have anything better to "Sting" than milk?

This is a real "Give me a break" control situation and shows clearly that (I guess) the TPTB don't have anything better to do with their time?

You are soo right. Er Um... Couldn't they just buy a gallon? The word pasturized would be missing. Duh...
Now if it said pasturized on the bottle, this is a totally different ballgame. And they should have been stung righ in the tush.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

“It is the FDA’s position that raw milk should never be consumed,” said Tamara N. Ward, spokeswoman for the FDA, whose investigators have been looking into Rainbow Acres for months, and who finally last week filed a 10-page complaint in federal court in Pennsylvania seeking an order to stop the farm from shipping across state lines any more raw milk or dairy products made from it.

But radioactive pasteurized milk is ok. Hmmm...

edit on 4/29/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Congrats ATSers, you just gave a bunch of stars to someone with completey wrong information.
No wonder you think the government can control you.

And your completely wrong, cheese can be made out of pasteurized milk.

Yes the feds want to control milk, they are controlling the spread of diseases like turberculosis, and the oh so benign salmonella, listeria, and E. coli.

Giving unpasteurized milk to neighbors is legal. BUT
the questions you have to task first is: what sterilization is in place, have the cows been tested for diseases? are they containers they are stored in sterilized.

for all you know, your Amish dairyman is ushing his chamber pot to put milk in.
Those who sell milk, must be licensed, the milk is tested constantly, and sanitation practises must be met.

edit on 29-4-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Ah ha, the plot thickens. It appears that unpasturized milk is legal in 10 states. But illegal in 11 states and the district. It was being transported accross state lines. Which made it fall under the FDA's ban on interstate sales of raw milk.

But most importantly, it was not labeled as unpasturized milk.

Feds sting Amish farmer selling raw milk locally
edit on 29-4-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Whether you like it or not, there are standards when it comes to selling food. If the facility wasn't meeting compliance, then someone can get really sick.
Just because it used to be unpasteurized, doesn't mean that people are used to unpasteurized now. Not having the bacteria in teh system shocked it.
Milking a cow and throwing it in a bottle may seem quaint. But there are sanitazation protocols, and you dont want someone giving bacteria filled milk to an infant.

She's right on point.

Is it relatively minor in the grand scheme of things? Sure... But, does that mean that we should suddenly let folks break laws designed to protect public welfare? No...

In a way, it's protecting the Amish too. Lets suppose an infant did get sick or worse, die from such milk. Can you imagine the backlash to the Amish way of life? (and by extension, the people)....

But, just as we can't condone leeches as a cure for everything, we must uphold modern health protocols when it comes to food safety when you are selling food products.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Milking a cow and throwing it in a bottle may seem quaint. But there are sanitazation protocols, and you dont want someone giving bacteria filled milk to an infant.

She's right on point.

Is it relatively minor in the grand scheme of things? Sure... But, does that mean that we should suddenly let folks break laws designed to protect public welfare? No...

In a way, it's protecting the Amish too. Lets suppose an infant did get sick or worse, die from such milk. Can you imagine the backlash to the Amish way of life? (and by extension, the people)....

But, just as we can't condone leeches as a cure for everything, we must uphold modern health protocols when it comes to food safety when you are selling food products.

If they're so concerned with the way this Amish farmer sells milk, then why don't they investigate his cows and milking practices to make sure he's doing it the right way instead of just shutting him down completely? If the FDA was only concerned with whether these raw milk farmers produced and sold the raw milk in the correct and healthy/safe manner, then we'd have more people selling raw milk. I for one would love to be able to find someplace where I can purchase raw milk and cheese. I don't mind the FDA requiring a license to sell it (a license obtained after yearly inspections proving that the farmer follows the correct protocol for selling raw products), but it seems to me like the FDA does not want anyone selling raw dairy. It's next to impossible to find someone who does on the open market.

I grew up in Europe where people consumed raw dairy products on a daily basis, and everyone seemed fine. My great grandparents mostly consumed raw dairy products, and they lived well into their late 80s and 90s. So did a lot of their neighbors. I just don't understand this horrible fear of raw dairy. If the guy keeps his cows healthy and clean, if he keeps the containers clean and refrigerated then what's the problem??? Everyone knows the risks of raw products, and it's an individual's responsibility over his/her own life to determine whether or not they wish to consume them. For God's sake people take horrendous medications to treat problems like allergies or depression every day, risking suicidal thoughts, infections, diarrhea, dizziness, even death, and we can't consume raw milk? Give me a break.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You believe pasteurization protects you from those things? Only safe handling will reduce your risk.
Raw Milk, Pasteurized Milk and Listeria is just one such example of an outbreak of Listeria in PASTEURIZED milk.
Nobody should drink or consume anything from diseased animals period. And storing and transporting products in clean containers is just as important. How cases can you find of outbreaks from raw milk that came from contaimination from within the animal itself and not handling during or after the milking process?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
This is bad news. I don't know too much about America, but i do know that the Amish community is harmless, pure and they tend to be good hardworking people.

Shame on the feds.

mr-lizard you are right on the money. the Amish are amongst the finest groups of people you will find in this diversified country. they live a good whole natural life, deep in The Word, always there for the neighbor.

i wonder what the cost of this year-long sting was to American taxpayers. the oddest part: i'm quite confident if an Agent simply approached the manager or owner of the facility and asked them "are you doing this in this particular manner" they would've received an honest answer on the spot. there was no need of deceiving these people by slithering into their community like a scumbag piece of crap snake, but i guess Agents have to be true to their nature.

as most of our 16 mickey mouse super spy organizations were built on lies from the first brick i'm not surprised they would stoop this low. these Agents are cut from the same cloth of those who gave us Waco, Ruby Ridge and many other national disgraces. law enforcement super heroes like this make me ashamed to be American.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Did anybody else in ATS have to take an American Literature class in high school? Anybody ever hear of "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair?

Here's a hint: That work is the reason that Theodore Roosevelt set up the "Bureau of Chemistry" that later became the FDA.

I guess it's been too long since those enormities; now, we don't need either unions or the FDA.

Those who forget history....are doomed to take the summer course as a pass/fail.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Living naturally?
Not being a part of the system?

Hell throw the book at them.
They must be evil.

How dare these people try to live outside of the mega corp/banking/gov enslavement system.

What good are they to the taxman?
Or big pharma-they don't even vaccinate!

How evil these simple living down to earth folks must be...[/sarc]

Or maybe just maybe they have a point.
maybe if more folks lived within their means,without the need for megacorps for food and medicine,the world would be a better place.

Just my humble opinion as usual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join