It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Stop Amish From Selling Milk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Will all that is going on in the world and the country this is what the Feds are after?

Feds sting Amish farmer selling raw milk locally

A yearlong sting operation, including aliases, a 5 a.m. surprise inspection and surreptitious purchases from an Amish farm in Pennsylvania, culminated in the federal government announcing this week that it has gone to court to stop Rainbow Acres Farm from selling its contraband to willing customers in the Washington area.

The product in question: unpasteurized milk.

A yearlong sting about Amish selling raw milk?! What in the world have to came to? People have been drinking raw milk for 1000's of years.

However, the FDA has an issue with it....

“It is the FDA’s position that raw milk should never be consumed,” said Tamara N. Ward, spokeswoman for the FDA, whose investigators have been looking into Rainbow Acres for months, and who finally last week filed a 10-page complaint in federal court in Pennsylvania seeking an order to stop the farm from shipping across state lines any more raw milk or dairy products made from it.

My personal feeling is that this isn't about food safety as much as it is about control. Control the food and you can control the people.

+28 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I feel safer already.

Now if they would only lock up those radical Amish and impound their cows I could stop living in fear.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Whether you like it or not, there are standards when it comes to selling food. If the facility wasn't meeting compliance, then someone can get really sick.
Just because it used to be unpasteurized, doesn't mean that people are used to unpasteurized now. Not having the bacteria in teh system shocked it.
Milking a cow and throwing it in a bottle may seem quaint. But there are sanitazation protocols, and you dont want someone giving bacteria filled milk to an infant.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Oh stop it! You almost made me spit coffee on my keyboard form laughing!

Those beards do make them look suspicious thou. I'm sure they are investing them and their cows for extremism as we speak..

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All in all though, I would feel much safer the Amish handling/growing my food than
any other capitalist corporation.

+18 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

If it is pasteurized, you can't make cheese out of it either. I happen to know several families here in my state that are in a co-op that sells unpasteurized milk. This is a choice, nobody is forcing them to drink/use it. This is only about government control, period.
edit on 29-4-2011 by chiefsmom because: spelling of course

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The way you get around the regulation is to sell shares of the dairy cow itself. You come to the farm and pick up your share of what the cow produces. The dangers to consuming raw milk are similar in many ways to eating a raw vegetable from your garden. The risk is there but probably overblown for milk.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

but really, has it been documented for the last 1,000 years of alot of people being sick from raw milk? Maybe the possibility exists nowadays, because of the hormones injected into the cows, and them eating pesticide plants to produce that milk. I remember hearing something about how some of that growth hormone seeps into the milk, and that they have to be removed during the process of pasteurization. Don't know if that true though...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackhawk420

but really, has it been documented for the last 1,000 years of alot of people being sick from raw milk? Maybe the possibility exists nowadays, because of the hormones injected into the cows, and them eating pesticide plants to produce that milk. I remember hearing something about how some of that growth hormone seeps into the milk, and that they have to be removed during the process of pasteurization. Don't know if that true though...

it is true that some dairy cows are treated with a hormone. this is a substance that is within the cow and the milk to begin with and it is not possible to tell the difference between milk for a cow that has been treated in this way and those that haven't. dairy cattle are not given growth hormones.

Pesticides and Herbicides are another matter

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Wow, apparently their milk doesn't have antibiotics-which reduce infections on overmilked teats-(which in turn reduce the human 'herd's health), uhh 'radiation' levels at all and of course tax wise and such does not benefit the Gov.
Next they'll stop them from having their own self sustaining farm(veggies,etc). And aren't they making and selling wood stoves? Yeah, maybe the Feds are mad about them making a living.
edit on 29-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

They've been doing their milk like this for generations. This is just another step across the line towards forcing people to get their food corporately. Its like that law they want to pass to make backyard gardens illegal because "they bring pests into the neighborhood". Its getting rediculous, and if I were Amish I'd be on my front porch, pitchfork in hand, saying "Off my porch, boy".

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I applaud our dark overlords for saving us from the evil bovine population.

Now they can move on to more pressing issues like the oncoming attack of the killer tomatoes.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Unless these Amish supervillains were selling to people who didnt know it was raw, this should not even be an issue. You have the ability to know what you're consuming, and if I want to drink raw milk its my choice. I really think the gov't could find something better to do than put parking boots on a horse n' buggy

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire

They've been doing their milk like this for generations. This is just another step across the line towards forcing people to get their food corporately. Its like that law they want to pass to make backyard gardens illegal because "they bring pests into the neighborhood". Its getting rediculous, and if I were Amish I'd be on my front porch, pitchfork in hand, saying "Off my porch, boy".

"get off my lawn"

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This is absurd! This has to be a joke? Is it april 1st? The amish dont bother folks! Now if they would put a restriction on those johovah witness' knocking on my door, then id be impressed.

Really though, we are losing our right to consume what we choose. It is no longer our body, but the governments. Do not consume, unless approved by the f.d.a.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I've been in a few Amish barns that would have made your stomach roll. I watched them strip the cows teats by hand without any washing at all. I literally saw cow manure fall into there milk buckets. I have no problem with unpasturized milk, but every dairyman should have to maintain a minuinum amount of cleanliness.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is bad news. I don't know too much about America, but i do know that the Amish community is harmless, pure and they tend to be good hardworking people.

Shame on the feds.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The argument of whether raw milk is good or bad aside. It took a year to find out if a dairy farm was selling the stuff? A year! They're having a laugh right? I seriously question the FDA's powers of investigation. CSI eat your heart out.

"surreptitious purchases" I wonder if they went disguised as something normal...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Best not breast feed then. They will break down your door with a tank.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I am so glad the governments are taking care of us, telling us what we are allowed to do with our own bodies that apparently we do not fully own..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join