It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Booed In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

You think perhaps the "religous zealots" were perturbed not because they believe the light originates from the moon but perhaps they weren't expecting to get preached to by a "scientist"? When we criticisize one group for being so narrow minded perhaps we should practice what we preach otherwise one might think you a hypocrit.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

"Live the message... not the words." Amen to that.

Wasn't that the whole point about the Pharisees? Law vs heart?

I wonder how the religion migrated back to law even after Christ tried so hard to reform it? Corruption, much?

I think Jesus would do a facepalm about this whole situation of his religion becoming mindless observance of "The Bible". It is sad, really.

Why do they think God gave us brains if not to use them and think for ourselves? Fear that thinking will make them not believe?

If they don't believe in science, why don't they live like the Amish? No electricity. No engines. No chemistry. No cell phones. Those were all developed through and function using "science". Can anyone spell hypocrisy?

Ugh!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
WAY too many morons in America. It's why we are beginning to lag the world in EVERYTHING.

We need to spit America into two Nations. We aren't heading anywhere except to civil war.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm almost crying laughing right now
I mean that is just great (in a terrible way). It absolutely amazes me the amount of ignorance about simple scientific facts that exist in what are modern first world countries with public education. It's sad but at the same time I can't help but laugh. I mean what's next Nye shoots down the idea that the moon is fixed to the firmament and gets booed? I can see it now:

Angry Redneck: "What do you mean lightning doesn't come from Zeus? Electric build up in the clouds? That's preposterous I ain't see no electricity in them there clouds!"

Angry Redneck 2: "You mean to tell me it isn't my fervent prayers and burnt offerings that make the rainy season come?"

Anrgy Redneck 3: "They took our jearbs!"

Edit to Add: No offense to Texans, there are plenty of intelligent people in Texas, just couldn't help making a joke.
edit on 30-4-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

Don't you know that HUMANISM was declared a RELIGION by their own proponents till Christians said, hey if you are a religion than you can't teach in the public schools, so the proponents of Humanism decided they didn't want to be a religion after all because the whole point of it is to indoctrinate the youth into scientific materialism devoid of spirit. In fact, John Dewey made statements to the effect of humanism being their "faith". John Dewey was a humanist and his philosophy is what drives public education today.
edit on 30-4-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scytherius
WAY too many morons in America. It's why we are beginning to lag the world in EVERYTHING.

We need to spit America into two Nations. We aren't heading anywhere except to civil war.

Yah, go ahead and "Spit" as much as ya want smartey-pants.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Maybe I'm missing something but the moon is a valuable part of that secondary light source. I don't care about the religious argument at all but without the moon there is no reflection and no light source. Seems like they are arguing semantics.
edit on 30-4-2011 by zerotime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There's no place for atheists in Texas. Well, except for Austin. Good people there.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I live in Georgia so (unfortunately) they would have done the same thing here *in some area's of Ga. Don't flame me bro' . It is incredible that we have humans on Earth who actually think this is correct. On the other hand we have humans on Earth who have designed and built rockets to the moon. Makes you really wonder if we will ever progress as a society.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I'm sorry but what does Humanism have to do with Bill Nye teaching simple scientific facts and pointing out that the Bible was wrong?

This was at a lecture series, not something made mandatory by schools and it most certainly wasn't about scientific materialism. From the OPs article:

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

Yes, darn Bill Nye for doing talks about space exploration and global warming, how dare he promote such a spiritually dead point of view

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Come on guys stop arguing.

Lets be real....the moon was obviously a satellite put into Earth's orbit by extraterrestrials.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
But the moon is a light. Right or "wrong" he was still ripping on religion.
edit on 2-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass

Or the Earth initially was a satellite of the moon until it formed enough mass.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't believe this story. We have a link to an atheist website which loves to denigrate Christians as ignorant and a link to a supposed source story here but guess the original article is removed.

The atheist story says that a couple of people stormed out saying "We believe in God!" and then infers these two things are linked - I don't see anything about the audience booing Nye except in the title.

I call atheist hoax.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
There is not a person in Texas who believes that moon is its own source of light. The booing was because Bill Nye brought the Bible into the discussion as a passive aggressive means of attacking religion-- which I have seen him do before.

Mind you, Waco, Texas, is the home of (Baptist) Baylor University. That many (not all) Baptists have taken up an antagonism with science is to me as inexcusable and foolish as scientists like Bill Nye who seek to antagonize some Christians.

Bill Nye knew what he was doing, he knew he was baiting them and shame on him; but demonizing his victims is rather low, and requires pitiable ignorance to believe that anyone booed because any Christian believes the moon generates its own light. None does.

If you are atheist, be secure in it without an assumption of superior intellect. Like people of faith, atheists run the range from absolute slug-like ignorance and hatefulness, to the sublimely brilliant and loving. Perhaps we ought to, all of us, strive to be in that second group?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
i've never heard anyone say the moon gives it's own light.

don't forget, back in the day, people probably didn't know that it reflects light from the sun.

so the bible gave a simplistic description of what people were seeing.

like the planets they named, they saw that they were different from stars.

i'm not sure if they knew the difference.

anyway, it seems odd some people would boo him.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Come on people... if you take your children to see "Bill Nye the Science Guy" You cannot assume that something he says will not conflict with your primitive superstitions...

This would be like going to chippendales performance and being offended because you saw naked men....

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?????

Though I have to admit, I'm not sure why he had to bring up religion...

www.thinkatheist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Primitive? What has atheism accomplished other then mass murder and genocide? You Atheist's are responsible for more deaths(even if you don't count abortions) in your 20th century marxist revolutions then every religion combined in the history of humanity.

While the Bible birthed the concepts of social programs, the abolition of slavery, civil rights and justice. Also the history contained in the Bible is invaluable. Without it we wouldn't know anything about the Ancient World(Egyptians had a bad habit of erasing things that didn't go their way). And no matter how many times you Atheist try and question the historical accuracy of the Bible, the Bible win's out.

Nye got booed for being a Bible hating, ignorant bigot. He intentionally delivered that information to inflame the public at large in Texas. He could of delivered it in any number of way's like "(insert genesis passage) The lesser light is a reflection of a the greater light", instead he picked a highly insulting way of delivering it.

As for "silly superstitions" , I guess people like you(as in defective people without a conscience aka no soul) wouldn't like a document that seeks to instill some moral character and punishment for doing wrong. From your perspective you see nothing wrong with using, abusing and insulting other people. And view it as inconvenient that people won't put up with outward displays of sociopathy.
edit on 10-5-2011 by korathin because: fixed "know", accidently put "no"

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join