It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Booed In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
sounds like a hoax to me or misinterpretation. No people of any religion I know believe the moon emits its own light.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'm a Texan and we don't all wear 10 gallon hats and cowboy boots with giant belt buckles.This thread doesn't seem to make much sense to me & it seems like the offending element has been left out... Why did they boo? Doesn't make much sense to me at all. Anyway, Bill Nye is a celebrity more than a scientist. He makes guest appearances on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. So maybe the religious crowd took offense to something a scientist said. Not like that's the first time that's happened.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
A little honesty here would be that it was the WAY he said it that got the boo's... He was saying it as if they didn't have a clue rather than just the basic fact that the moon does give off light whether it is a reflection or not makes no difference, because it still does the job. Bill was saying it in a way that was trying to invalidate what is written by arguing semantics in regards to the actual scientific reason for the moon to give off light...

But this is what athiests always do, twist and mold words to fit their agenda of trying to invalidate Christianity; This is just another failed example of this agenda.
edit on 30-4-2011 by alienreality because: eta

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I had to read the OP and the title a few times, i couldnt figure out what he did wrong lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kman420

I agree, and any opportunity to highlight the rediculousness of religion should be taken.
If it gets indoctrinated bibble bashers upset, then mission accomplished.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm almost crying laughing right now
I mean that is just great (in a terrible way). It absolutely amazes me the amount of ignorance about simple scientific facts that exist in what are modern first world countries with public education. It's sad but at the same time I can't help but laugh. I mean what's next Nye shoots down the idea that the moon is fixed to the firmament and gets booed? I can see it now:

Angry Redneck: "What do you mean lightning doesn't come from Zeus? Electric build up in the clouds? That's preposterous I ain't see no electricity in them there clouds!"

Angry Redneck 2: "You mean to tell me it isn't my fervent prayers and burnt offerings that make the rainy season come?"

Anrgy Redneck 3: "They took our jearbs!"

Edit to Add: No offense to Texans, there are plenty of intelligent people in Texas, just couldn't help making a joke.
edit on 30-4-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You need to unload some proof.

Considering the source you quoted said that the Waco paper pulled the story, I'm left doubting.

Also, just plain considering the source.

I have anouther question. Why would a "knuckle dragger" go to the "distinguised lecture series" in the first place? Someone that stupid would think the "distinguished" implied that it had once been on fire
!

Nah, calling equine excrement on this till we have video.

Also,

To all of you christian bashers, if this sort of story is enough to keep you from driving down I-35 south, the story did its job. We have enough problem with the idiots running through our south border without yall adding to it.
edit on 30/4/11 by felonius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d
I live in the Dallas area, but I grew up in Waco. In my whole life I have never met or even heard of someone who thought the moon gave off it's on light. Yes there are some dumb rednecks and trailer trash that are uneducated living here, but no more than anywhere else in this country.
Contrary to popular belief, we don't all ride horses, hang out in saloons, gun fight in the streets ( well some do
), hang people in the street, or even wear big cowboy hats.
We are used to the occasional ribbing about being from Texas, but stop generalizing us as cartoon characters.

So the various groups referred to as rednecks throughout history, such as the Scottish Covenanters, politically minded white farmers and Appalachian coal miners, as well as the working poor that live in mobile homes you call trash deserve their slurs but "Texan" becoming a derogatory term synonymous with ignorance is somehow unfair. Pot, meet Kettle.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Never Trust a Man in a Bowtie.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Cretin.

1779, from Fr. crétin (18c.), from Alpine dialect crestin, "a dwarfed and deformed idiot" of a type formerly found in families in the Alpine lands, a condition caused by a congenital deficiency of thyroid hormones, from V.L. *christianus "a Christian," a generic term for "anyone," but often with a sense of "poor fellow." Related: Cretinism (1801).

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure Texans know the moon reflects sunlight. I think they booed him cause the fact he brought up the Bible as if to make fun of it. Sounded like he was saying your stupid for believing in the Bible.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I grew up watching him, but recently hes become quite the religious troll. I remember seeing him a few times as a 'debunker' for UFO's [CNN], religion...etc; he knows what hes saying and I'm sure he doesn't say it in the nicest fashion. Definitely taking a page from Maher...etc

He is right that a majority of the light is reflected from the moon, but I bet he couldn't resist throwing that shot at the bible.
As stated, I really doubt a bunch of clueless rednecks would attend a lecture he had provided, just doesn't make sense in the first place. I'm pretty sure he took some blatant shot at the bible.

I'd like to see a video of what he said, then I can judge whether it was warranted by Texans on what they did.
edit on 4/30/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/30/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Dont Worrie Bill Nye

it happend to Galileo too!

when tried to tell the same type of people that the earth moved (Orbit) around the Sun
and that the Earth wasn't in the Center of the Solar/Universe System

tho Galileo was Punished in a Roman Inquisition Style !

Galileo's championing of Copernicanism was controversial within his lifetime, when a large majority of philosophers and astronomers still subscribed to the geocentric view that the Earth is at the centre of the universe. After 1610, when he began publicly supporting the heliocentric view, which placed the Sun at the centre of the universe, he met with bitter opposition from some philosophers and clerics, and two of the latter eventually denounced him to the Roman Inquisition early in 1615. In February 1616, although he had been cleared of any offence, the Catholic Church nevertheless condemned heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture",[10] and Galileo was warned to abandon his support for it—which he promised to do. When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.[11][12]

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The only way we can get past the madness that is religion is to discuss scientific fact and then bring up bible that explains it incorrectly.

Well done Bill.

Now really blow their mind by telling them about a sphere world and how there is no mountain where you can see all the corners or whatnot...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ha haaaaaaaaaaaa To use you atheist libs favorite debunking machine, I went to Snopes cause the original source of the WACO article was not available.

"King James Bible, Genesis 1:16
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

It just says God made two great lights. No where does it say how it was done. If I see a source of light, does it really matter whether it is reflected or not. God did not bother to tell us if it was direct light or not. If it was that important to know you thing God would have mentioned it somewhere. "
"
message.snopes.com...

Apparently comparing science to God doesn't go over well in the Bible Belt and I would bet his whole speech was riddled with scientific materialism. Apparently he talked about global warming, so of course, there's no real consensus in real scientific communitities, and even the IPCC consensus has been debunked. Al Gore flunks and so did Bill Nye.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz

Dont Worrie Bill Nye

it happend to Galileo too!

when tried to tell the same type of people that the earth moved (Orbit) around the Sun
and that the Earth wasn't in the Center of the Solar/Universe System

tho Galileo was Punished in a Roman Inquisition Style !

Galileo's championing of Copernicanism was controversial within his lifetime, when a large majority of philosophers and astronomers still subscribed to the geocentric view that the Earth is at the centre of the universe. After 1610, when he began publicly supporting the heliocentric view, which placed the Sun at the centre of the universe, he met with bitter opposition from some philosophers and clerics, and two of the latter eventually denounced him to the Roman Inquisition early in 1615. In February 1616, although he had been cleared of any offence, the Catholic Church nevertheless condemned heliocentrism as "false and contrary to Scripture",[10] and Galileo was warned to abandon his support for it—which he promised to do. When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.[11][12]

Remember, the Roman State was dedicated to pagan god worship, and so it incorporated it's earlier pagan rituals into Christianity.
The Pharaohs worshiped the Sun God. The difference is we know that the Sun is the source of life on earth(scientifically speaking) and also causes global warming and cooling). I have no problem incorporating both science and religion into my WorldView. So, whoever, whatever created the Universe gave us the sun as a life source. What is so hard about that?

"Akhenaten, the God Aten and the Religious Revolution
Pharaoh Amenophis IV was about 25years old when he became Pharaoh and was married to the beautiful Nefertiti. At the beginning of the reign they follow tradition and worship the Gods and Goddesses of Egypt especially Amun-Ra. This was a very prosperous time and Egypt and the Pharaoh possessed great wealth. But so did the Priests. The priests had been made wealthy through the offerings given to them but they also possessed great power - perhaps even rivalling that of the Pharaoh. The God Aten was an ancient sun disk deity dating back 1000 years. The worship of the sun God Amun-Ra and reference to the ancient god Aten led to the belief that Aten was visible everywhere and the fundamental life-giving force in the universe not just a main god but the only god. Within just four years of his reign the god of the solar disk, Aten, was now worshipped by the Pharaoh and Nefertiti as the only deity, starting a religious revolution"
www.king-tut.org.uk...
edit on 30-4-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhioPariah
Apparently this story is five years old?

Yeah... but that wont stop people on ats.. hell the past few days the majority of front page 'reports' are dated 2-3 years ago but the post is laid out as if it's new info or something. Cmon people..
edit on 30-4-2011 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Mr. Nye is nit picking. Without the moon there'd be no light at night, so reflected or not, its still a light.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Though I have to admit, I'm not sure why he had to bring up religion...

... he didnt HAVE to... but when your like me and you the chance to openly point out flaws in main stream religion, you do, because its your little chance to change it, one person at a time.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Great Story, Truth Optional

As ZombieJesus pointed out way back on Page 3, there is more to this story. Or less, to be precise.

Apparently there is a huge difference between what actually happened five years ago in Waco and what it has morphed into on the Internet.

At least, that's the case if we are to believe Dylan Otto Krider, who claims to have interviewed the reporter who wrote the original Waco Tribune-Herald article from which all this hullabloo seems to have descended:

Reporter of Bill Nye, Moonbat story speaks

ZombieJesus already provided this link in his previous post, but I think it bears repeating because this article shoots all sorts of holes in the notion that the good people of Waco, Texas were outraged at the idea that the moon reflects sunlight.

I challenge anyone who has seen fit to use this story as an excuse to indulge in -- dare I say -- ignorance and bigotry to give it a read.

If there is any credible evidence that the assertion "Bill Nye Booed In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun" isn't a load of hogwash, I would love to see it.

Likewise, if anyone feels it's appropriate to slander the citizens of Waco or Christians in general after gaining more information on the provenance of this story, I would be interested in seeing the rationale for doing so.

Just the facts, please.

edit on 4/30/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join