It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Booed In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
at least he didn't lecture on why snakes and donkeys cannot talk.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I intend on avoiding Texas until after the Rapture

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
he should have never used a passage. If anyone has had an argument of any sort with the religious and used bible citation to only prove your point....you know it can mean trouble. To ingest the bible with a critical eye rather than blind fervor is a no-no. People dont like having words they have interpreted in such a way to suit their purposes interpreted yet again to suit someone elses (a non-believer) lol. They have a tendency to get all foamy around the mouth.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
reply to post by jackflap

Actually it’s even funnier than that

1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Four days later

1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

So bible god makes >day< and then sometime later does he gets around to making the sun

there could be more to "light" than first meets the eyes

Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed

And I will give him the morning star

GRB 080319B released more energy than any other astronomical event ever recorded. In less than a minute, this dying star output more energy than the Sun will in its entire ten billion-year lifetime! Although it was observed in March 2008, the explosion itself happened some 7.5 billion years ago: that’s longer than our Sun has existed, and more than half the age of the universe itself. Ever since then the light has been streaming towards us, more than half the observable universe away, while we were busy evolving brains and building telescopes suitable to pick it up.

When I say this was the brightest event recorded, I’m talking about its intrinsic brightness: how much energy it actually produces. cosmic-web.co.uk...

When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The most powerful one yet — in fact, the most violent and luminous event ever seen in the universe — flashed into view on the morning of March 19th.

This sets a record of a different kind: what is the farthest thing visible to the unaided eye? The usual answer is the Great Andromeda Galaxy at 2.5 million light-years.. But the visible-light afterglow from the March 19th burst had a redshift of 0.94, corresponding to a look-back time of 7.5 billion years — several thousand times more than the nearby galaxies. GRB 080319B's optical afterglow was 2.5 million times more luminous than the most luminous supernova ever recorded, making it the most intrinsically bright object ever observed by humans in the universe..Or perhaps it concentrated its energy in a [particularly] narrow jet that was aimed directly at Earth..noted another coincidence: the flurry of bursts marked the death of science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, as if the gamma-ray sky were lighting up with fireworks to send him off in style..
www.skyandtelescope.com...

whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts

Arthur had even speculated that it was a supernova which marked the birth of Jesus

It’s amazing that the GRB knew 7.5 billion years ago, that Arthur C. Clarke would die on the day its light would arrive on a tiny planet that did not even exist when the GRB went off.
www.centauri-dreams.org...

In his work, Arthur C. Clarke often employed pathos to contrast the human scale against the immense scale of the universe. When he once mused on TV that the Star of Bethlehem had in fact been a supernova, now pulsar PSR 1913+16B, he added:ogleearth.com...

interesting things being said here also-

This constellation is one of three decans found in Virgo. Each sign of the zodiac (Hebrew - Mazzaroth: see Job 38:32) occupies thirty degrees in the heavens. These thirty degrees are further divided into three segments of ten degrees each, which are called decans. Each decan contains a ruling sign, and this particular ruling sign is called Bootes (pronounced Boh-oh-teez).

Joseph Seiss, in his book The Gospel in the Stars, has this to say about Bootes.

The name thus transformed into Greek has in it a Hebrew and Oriental root, Bo, which means coming; hence, the coming One...

The Greeks... also called this man Arcturus, the watcher, guardian, or keeper of Arktos, the adjoining constellation which in all the more ancient representations is the flock, the sheepfold. Bootes is... the guardian and shepherd of the flocks... The brightest star in Bootes is called Arcturus, the guardian or keeper of Arktos... Al Katurops, the star on the right side of the arm of Bootes, means the Branch, the Rod, and is often connected with the figure of a staff, the shepherd’s crook, the traditional symbol of pastoral office...

He also bears a sickle, which shows Him as the great Harvester, and the harvest He gathers is the harvest of souls...www.openheaven.com...

When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I don't see why they would storm out, so we know the moon is a lesser light reflector big deal.....the Scriptures aren't gonna give us exact specifics about the makeup of the universe. The point of the Scriptures is for understanding the way we were made and what our purpose is and how to achieve favour with our Father Yahuwah through His Son Yahuwshuwah.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is just so strange.... Why would stating that the moon reflects the sun be an insult to the religious?
Do they think the moon is a light source? Very confusing.

I can't figure why Nye brought the bible into it either. Very strange... Is there more to this story?

These people still believe the Earth is the center of the universe.

Some also believe the Earth is only 6,000 yrs old.

I think this sums it up.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
What I find astonishing is that the Old Testament GOD lays down some pretty strict laws.

When those laws are found to be a bit extravagant and inconvenient; MAN decides to play GOD and reinterpret everything "oh, thats not really what GOD meant" here is the new Christian covenant. How convenient!! Hey, anyone want this last pork chop?

Throws the whole thing into question. Don't you think. Divinely inspired???

Come on now, don't go and get all preachy on me!! I served my time in the Southern Baptist Sunday school in Lubbock where I received my indoctrination in guilt.

topic....Bill Nye should burn in hell for having such bad taste to wear a goofy bow tie.
edit on 29-4-2011 by whaaa because: viva la pepa

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Are religious nutbars that far out of touch with reality and so insecure in their own faith that when someone backs something up with science that directly challenges their faith, even though it's a proven fact, that they heckle and boo them, just because it doesn't jive with the principles outlined in a 2,000 year old book?

Happy to be an atheist.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

I don't see why they would storm out, so we know the moon is a lesser light reflector big deal.....the Scriptures aren't gonna give us exact specifics about the makeup of the universe. The point of the Scriptures is for understanding the way we were made and what our purpose is and how to achieve favour with our Father Yahuwah through His Son Yahuwshuwah.

I thought he was an "all forgiving God". Why would you see the need to achieve favour with him ?

Poking holes in scriptures with religious nutjobs is SO much fun !

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I admit, I may have been harsh with my reply, but I was only generalizing as a reaction to other poeple's harsh comments. I am from Waco myself bro. I don't want ATSers all assuming everyone in Waco/Texas are redneck hicks. We are supposed to be above such harsh assumptions. Again tho, this article is a moot point, and more of a complaint than anything informative.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Well even though the moon only "reflects" light, does not mean that the bible saying that is wrong, it still GIVES light even though it is a reflection, we don't see the sunlight at night do we, no, we see moonlight, even though the ultimate source of it is the sun. But yeah, he should not have brought up the bible into the mix, he could have made his point without trying to refute the bible, dumb move on his part. Even though more and more people are becoming atheists, not everyone is, and he really should have thought about that before quoting the bible into a room of, thank God, not ALL atheists.

Peace,
Marriah

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
i'M not sure who the bad guy and who the hero is supposed to be in this story exactly...

Yeah the people in the crowd are stupid for booing a commonly known FACT.... or Bill Nye who SHOULD be well educated enough to understand that anthropogenic "climate change" (they don't call it global warming anymore because they can't blame blizzards or tornadoes on "warming") is at best shaky science... Honestly it's people like Bill Nye who I had respect for at one point until I realized that he most likely pimps "climate change" not out of any sort of BELIEF but because it makes him MONEY!

The real irony in the climate change straw man debate is while everyone is SO WRAPPED UP in debating whether or not Co2 causes climate issues that they don't notice corporations slowly but surely reversing many of the pollution laws of a more mundane nature that we already KNOW FOR SURE affect the environment and general livability of the Earth GREATLY!!1

Shame on you Bill Nye!! I know you are well educated enough to KNOW better and GREEDY enough not to CARE!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
lol it's topics like this, that ween out the lesser thinkers..

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Anything that can be seen and is growing is emitting sound. ~Wether we hear that sound is another matter, also sound can be seen as light depending on the way you look. This means that everything in the whole universe contains and emits ligtht to some degree or precentage. There is no such thing as pure darkness nor pure light, its all an expression of space.So let us not get confused with religeon, I would go so far as to say, that the particular pargraph in the bible may not be so religeous but rather an old form of science. A science that alowed room for God.(the hidden creator/ess)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It seems sad to me for Bill Nye to promote this kind of sensationalism. I have been to some REALLY
poor and backwoods churches in the south, many without electricity and have NEVER heard ANYONE say that the moon emits light of itself. (It never came up?) If someone didn't understand this science and was confused at this presentation, it still doesn't account for the booing and anger. I think this angry reaction was taken out of context with other factors involved.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm not a Christian, I'm an Entertainment Hedonist. But perhaps, "god" is a poet? Maybe a "lesser light" is the same thing as a "reflection?"

Seems like a petty thing to throw in someones face, either way, to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus
Here is the "more to the story" part.

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" was booed in Waco, Texas in 2006 for suggesting the Moon did not generate its own light, but reflected light from the sun.

link

So first off, this story is 5 years old.

Second, the author of that link links to this link (am I gonna owe nintendo royalties for that improper sentence?)

So, finally I set up an interview with the reporter who did that story, and asked interviewed him about what exactly happened that evening in Waco, which is posted here. In short, it's quite a bit different than myself and others made it out to be.

link

Which leads to this link.

How Woods characterized the audience reaction, and others characterized his characterization, would cause blog swarm. And how others characterized the characterizatons of those characterizing his characterizations later (including yours truly) would cause the story to explode again, three years later.

link

I havent finished reading it, but it looks like the jist is basically it was only a few people Nye angered in the audience, but the original reporter and the magic of the interwebs made the story take off.

Well, there ya go

Good find.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Strange how Christian Fundamentalists can be vilified here in ATS without limits ....but any other religious creed Fundamentalists are off limits.

Perhaps they wont be happy until REDNECKS have no religion, STALIN wanted this for his peaseants , lloks like New York wont rest, until everyone denounces Christ.

Yeah all texans believe the moon emits light, just as Christians believe God only loves Jews.

Wake up folks , lest you become the next Holocaust victims.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
They probably booed him because he's preaching global warming # science, like he was been for years now. Trying to brainwash kids into their cult of bad science. The global warming crisis never existed, in fact our planet will quite soon have to face the opposite, as this is the natural cycle of the Earth.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

I don't see why they would storm out, so we know the moon is a lesser light reflector big deal.....the Scriptures aren't gonna give us exact specifics about the makeup of the universe.
It's not about giving specifics, it's about giving correct information. To state the moon is a light is completely false. It's merely an object that reflects light. Ancient men didn't understand that. They couldn't understand the moon wasn't a source of light. And so when they wrote the bible, they said the moon was a light.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join