It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Booed In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The first thing that popped into my head was that they are booing him for making fun of their religion.
Bringing up a phrase in their book just to make fun of it.

That irks me the wrong way too.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I don't think we can blame the burning of Mt. Carmel & David Koresh's followers on the people who booed Bill Nye.

Personally, I blame it on Bill Clinton.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
The first thing that popped into my head was that they are booing him for making fun of their religion.
Bringing up a phrase in their book just to make fun of it.

That irks me the wrong way too.

Get over it sissy
Second line

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by took red pill
reply to post by whaaa

I don't think we can blame the burning of Mt. Carmel & David Koresh's followers on the people who booed Bill Nye.

Personally, I blame it on Bill Clinton.

I didn't mean to make that connection. I blame Mt. Carmel on the overzealous FBI/ ATF and the booing of Bill Nye on overzealous fundamentalist Christians. Overzealousness of any flavor is a precursor to disaster.
edit on 29-4-2011 by whaaa because: viva la pepa

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I live in the Dallas area, but I grew up in Waco. In my whole life I have never met or even heard of someone who thought the moon gave off it's on light. Yes there are some dumb rednecks and trailer trash that are uneducated living here, but no more than anywhere else in this country.
Contrary to popular belief, we don't all ride horses, hang out in saloons, gun fight in the streets ( well some do
), hang people in the street, or even wear big cowboy hats.
We are used to the occasional ribbing about being from Texas, but stop generalizing us as cartoon characters.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I don't see how the moon being only a reflector of the sun's light disproves the Genesis account, either way it illuminates, doesn't it? It's neither something that disproves the Bible nor something that Christians should get worked up about

I haven't heard how this Bill Nye guy said it though, so it's possible that he may have sounded mocking of Christianity or the Bible account. It's equally possible that the Texans were too sensitive

edit on 29/4/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

The Hebrew there can actually mean a reflected light as well. It doesn't just mean a light but can also be something that is illuminated.

If something sounds odd in English, people need to go check the Hebrew. The English has alot of issues.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think there must be more to the story, but if it really is as simple as presented, then I wonder how those folks doing the booing reconcile the moonless nights? The days where the sun and moon are out at the same time? The crescent moons?

Obviously, the moon is not as steadfast in its duties over the night, as the sun is in its duties over the day?

Anyone, that takes anything literally, is a little bit off their rocker.

Even the things I typed into this post are not meant to be taken literally. I don't really think the moon has "duties" and I don't really think those people have rockers and are off of them. (However, I did enjoy typing "doing the booing," that is just fun to say.)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Blame Bill Clinton for that debacle in Texas? I thought he threw Janet Reno under the bus for that one.

And look at all the publicity the wanna be celebrity scientist is getting of of this.

His speaking fee's probably just went up one or two hundred dollars.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I work as a scientist for a private consulting firm, and the linked website is blocked.

thinkchristian.net and thinkchristian.com I can get to just fine. thinkatheist.com? Sorry, Charlie. Course, our IT administrator is a hard-core Christian. Whatcha gonna do?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I doubt the full story is being told here. Either he said something that was grossly misinterpreted or there were a few uneducated bimbos in the room that got up and stormed out. I doubt the entire audience booed him for just pointing out that the moon reflects the sunlight.

A light doesn't have to be a source of light. We call a hole in the roof of our houses a "skylight" even though it depends on an external light source to make it work. Nothing conflicting in nature and what was said in Genesis about there being a lesser light for the night time.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

We are used to the occasional ribbing about being from Texas, but stop generalizing us as cartoon characters.

I was born and raised in Texas and I think we can safely say, that if we are viewed as cartoon characters, we bring it upon ourselves.

I doubt if Bill Nye would have been booed in Denver or Santa Fe.

edit on 29-4-2011 by whaaa because: viva la pepa

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Nah. The Hebrew word carries the idea of a "brightness", luminary, luminous body, or light abstractly.

This kind of thing has been getting to me lately. If someone finds something odd like the moon being called a light source, there is always an explanation of some sort as to why the Bible referred to it in that particular way. People usually do go back into the Hebrew or Greek translations and inform everyone that the present tense of the given word or words were actually meant to mean that the past tense of the given word is the correct assumption and therefore the word actually means thus and so. Or it usually goes like something along these lines.

Way back when the Bible was being constructed, do you think those people thought that the moon was actually a light source and factually referred to it as such to explain it from the perspective of someone who was trying to rationalize our existence from an all knowing point of view more or less? I don't think they would have realized that the moon actually reflects the sun's light and is not a lesser light source as such. It is a reflector of a greater light source. They just couldn't grasp that because they seriously didn't know.

There is another good controversy like this one that I remember too. When the Bible refers to bats being birds. It's a good thing that Billy Nye didn't bring that one up!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
Actually the moon does give off a trace amount of it's own light.

Umm, no, it doesn't. Do you have any sort of source to show this?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I loved your post. IMO any state that can raise a Molly Ivins is alright in my book.

One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children

Thus ensuring another scientifically ignorant generation.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I see your point, but to me, I also get annoyed when we assume ancient peoples didn't know as much as we know. It is starting to seem they may have known MORE than we know!

I don't believe they thought the moon was a light source like the sun, because then how could they explain the different phases of the moon? My 4 year old has already put together the relationship of the moon and the sun. He has discovered for himself how the moon and sun are in opposition when the moon is full, but the moon rises and sets at odd times when the moon is in other phases.

If my 4 year old has put it together, I'm pretty sure an ancient civilization could have put it together.

Not to mention, over 3000 years ago, the knowledge of astronomy was at least as good as it is now, and possibly better. Check out the knowledge the Masons pass down in their floorwork Here The ancient astrological knowledge was pretty vast.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by redtic

Originally posted by Namaste1001
Actually the moon does give off a trace amount of it's own light.

Umm, no, it doesn't. Do you have any sort of source to show this?

He's talking about black body radiation... and it's true... but nothing that can be seen with the naked eye...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by jackflap

I see your point, but to me, I also get annoyed when we assume ancient peoples didn't know as much as we know. It is starting to seem they may have known MORE than we know!

I don't believe they thought the moon was a light source like the sun, because then how could they explain the different phases of the moon? My 4 year old has already put together the relationship of the moon and the sun. He has discovered for himself how the moon and sun are in opposition when the moon is full, but the moon rises and sets at odd times when the moon is in other phases.

If my 4 year old has put it together, I'm pretty sure an ancient civilization could have put it together.

Not to mention, over 3000 years ago, the knowledge of astronomy was at least as good as it is now, and possibly better. Check out the knowledge the Masons pass down in their floorwork Here The ancient astrological knowledge was pretty vast.

This is so true... ancient man was not as stupid as we make him out to be... though theories went unverified and were only honed to the degree that could be measured at the time, ancient man paid a lot of attention to subtlety in nature... because their lives depended on it... and to the degree that a force of nature was able to threaten their survival and they couldn't do anything about it, was the degree to which that force was seen as a God...

When you read ancient texts with this grain of salt, you will learn quite a bit about what was going down...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
Blame Bill Clinton for that debacle in Texas? I thought he threw Janet Reno under the bus for that one.

Well, we can blame him for "poor old Janet" being thrown under the bus, too. I don't think anybody actually believed that she was responsible for it all by herself.

edit on 29-4-2011 by took red pill because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

How is he a sissy?
He simply stated that it pissed him off, that does not make him a sissy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join