It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Wal-Mart's core shoppers are running out of money much faster than a year ago due to rising gasoline prices, and the retail giant is worried, CEO Mike Duke said Wednesday.

"We're seeing core consumers under a lot of pressure," Duke said at an event in New York. "There's no doubt that rising fuel prices are having an impact."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Wal-Mart shoppers, many of whom live paycheck to paycheck, typically shop in bulk at the beginning of the month when their paychecks come in.

Lately, they're "running out of money" at a faster clip, he said.

"Purchases are really dropping off by the end of the month even more than last year," Duke said. "This end-of-month [purchases] cycle is growing to be a concern.

Fifteen years ago, when I was 9 years old, it was beyond unthinkable that this would be America's fate, so soon. The seemingly richest and powerful country has been destroyed in a mere ten years. Obviously, the decline has started a long time ago, when the Fed was created if you will, but it saddens me (as an European) to see the cradle of freedom turning into a second class and hostile police state.

Reckless spending, illegitimate wars and corruption underlie this sombre fate and in the end it is the common people that pay the bill - as well as the bad name worldwide.

Tent camps, food stamps, America is sinking deep and faster than I could ever have imagined.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Thread exists.
Someone beat you to it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
Thread exists.
Someone beat you to it

off-topic:

In cases of Breaking Alternative News we want to be sure everyone has an opportunity to contribute, so the idea is that we do accept 2 threads on the same topic if one is in breaking news and the other is in a different forum.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

-- Wal-Mart's core shoppers are running out of money much faster than a year ago due to rising gasoline prices, and the retail giant is worried, CEO Mike Duke said Wednesday.

Typical Wal-Mart concern. Money!

Not trying to derail this thread but, Wal-Mart is the worst when it comes to supporting American Consumers and Jobs! They hire people paying them peanuts on the Dollar [Which are consumers themselves] Then they further help the erosion of the American Economy by purchasing the cheapest Foreign made Products they can find to stock their shelves to sell to those consumers. [Maximizing their corporate profits]

They often move into areas and drive out the midsized and smaller business [which usually paid and took care of their employees better] with cut throat retail pricing and practices. Once the competition is financially ruined and out of business then they raise prices/profits to send out of state to their corporate headquarters while simultaneously contributing little or nothing of any real value back into the local economy to support it's own profits in the area by again paying their employees peanuts.

Their Management/Business practices are atrocious! Sam Walton would have fired the whole lot of them if he were Alive!

Their profits are still going through the roof. Just not from American Consumers. I bet most of the Items on the shelves over in their Chinese retail locations are actually MADE IN CHINA

edit on 29-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm out of money until the 1st...
that's to be expected with milk over $4 a gallon
Hamburger $2.65 a Lb
Chicken is still cheap if you buy the big family packs.
Forget eatting healthy it's a chore just to eat.

My new running joke is if I ever win the Lottery I can finally stop buying store brands and sales items..(Sure Fine and Best Value).... once I win the big one it'll be the good stuff Del Monty and Green Giant for me buddy

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Hamburger $2.65 a Lb

My new running joke is if I ever win the Lottery I can finally stop buying store brands and sales items..(Sure Fine and Best Value).... once I win the big one it'll be the good stuff Del Monty and Green Giant for me buddy

I bought a 3.5 lb pork butt for $9 last weekend, added two onions and a $2.75 bottle of BBQ sauce and fed 16 people pulled pork sandwiches for less than $14 total...

Not too shabby if you ask me

I eat healthy everyday as in foods I make from scratch... if you are willing to actually cook your food, you will find it's much much cheaper than you expect....

Hamburger doesn't count because it's a PROCESSED FOOD... not a whole food like a roast etc... so they charge more for it...
edit on 29-4-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Are your shoppers running out of money or are they just now spending it elsewhere?

You know where you can get stuff cheaper than walmart? Farmers Markets, Good will... etc.... Perhaps Wal-Mart has just been undercut?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Why did you stole my thread? there is already a thread on this

edit on 29-4-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Originally posted by Maxmars
off-topic:

In cases of Breaking Alternative News we want to be sure everyone has an opportunity to contribute, so the idea is that we do accept 2 threads on the same topic if one is in breaking news and the other is in a different forum.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Read the Moderator post above....

To everyone else:

America is failing.. I'm feeling the pressure too, thankfully though my particular area was the last hit by the economic problems and so far we are seeing very little as far as rising prices are concerned.. Thankfully...

We all see it looming on the horizon though...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Heck all they need to do is hit on Obama's stash. like that lady during the campaign who said Obama was going to pay for her house, car, gas and crack.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Read the Moderator post above....

To everyone else:

America is failing.. I'm feeling the pressure too, thankfully though my particular area was the last hit by the economic problems and so far we are seeing very little as far as rising prices are concerned.. Thankfully...

We all see it looming on the horizon though...

Interesting... I think that's a one dimensional view... because my business is BOOMING and I'm feeling less of a stress than ever right now...

I guess it's all in how you approach it

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
At the risk of getting flamed...

The US has been falling for a long time now - the myth of the "richest country in the world" was just propaganda, and people bought into it.

Goods and services are consumed at a huge rate, while artificial means are used to prop up the currency and economy, whilst at the same time the national debt grows, and grows, and grows, until their won't be enough wealth in the world to repay it.

In effect, the US built a house of cards over a number of decades, and now the house of cards is truly tumbling.

It's a shame that a potentially truly great country is being brought low by nothing more than the greed of the few, who made greed admirable in order to con people into trying to do the same.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

So your anti-capitalist?

Gotcha!

I'm a HUGE capitalist... and I see all sorts of wealth everywhere in this country... wealth we have yet to even tap!

It's not as bleak as people believe... which is kinda the issue.. it's more about attitude than it is about objectivity

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Typical Wal-Mart concern. Money!

Well, it's kind of hard to run a business when you're not making any.

Not trying to derail this thread but, Wal-Mart is the worst when it comes to supporting American Consumers and Jobs! They hire people paying them peanuts on the Dollar [Which are consumers themselves] Then they further help the erosion of the American Economy by purchasing the cheapest Foreign made Products they can find to stock their shelves to sell to those consumers. [Maximizing their corporate profits]

Sure, they could buy TVs made in America. Few people would be able to afford them because of the much higher costs of manufacturing in the U.S.

What you need to pay attention to when discussing "profits" is what is known as "Profit Margin." This is how much profit is made on each sale - relatively (in stores like walmart, it's less predictable than manufacturing, but you generally have an estimate on how much it costs to 'make' or display each product). Most businesses - even the Fortune 500 - run anywhere between 3 and 5% profit margins. That means, for every dollar they charge, 3-5 cents of that is profit. The exceptions to this are beverage providers (30% - downright insane profit margins) and government contractors and pharmaceuticals, who often hit up into the 10% range. Smaller private practices (such as your local Journeyman or Master electrician) can often have very high profit margins - but this is often because the business tends to vary.

Wal-Mart runs about a 3% average profit margin - interestingly, it is up considerably from previous years: ycharts.com...

However, that is displayed for 2011, and it is anticipated that clothing and commodity prices will jump - so they could be hiking prices a tad in anticipation of higher costs in procuring inventory - meaning it will settle by the end of the fiscal year.

They often move into areas and drive out the midsized and smaller business [which usually paid and took care of their employees better] with cut throat retail pricing and practices. Once the competition is financially ruined and out of business then they raise prices/profits to send out of state to their corporate headquarters while simultaneously contributing little or nothing of any real value back into the local economy to support it's own profits in the area by again paying their employees peanuts.

This is really a silly perspective to take.

Department stores like WalMart are part of a growing economy. They can procure the same merchandise you would have found in any of those smaller businesses (no local grocery store ranks as a medium business) in much greater quantity at a lower per-unit price (and offered at a similarly reduced price).

What this translates to is being able to afford things considered part of a higher-quality lifestyle on a smaller income.

Now - I'm not sure where you are getting your data from, but around here, Walmart pays well within the industry standard - better, in some cases. While they have put some competitive pressure on local stores and smaller chains - many of them adapt by offering a better selection of produce (Woods is a little more expensive, usually - but they have a much better array of products and tend to have better quality meats and poultry - Bings is about in the same boat - but they have some of the best meats in town that you don't have to butcher, yourself). Wal-Mart phased out their hobby section, and the local hobby shops have been expanding or moving to more prime locations down town.

Of course, I have yet to figure out how in the world this area is able to support a Menard's, Lowe's, Sutherland's, and half a dozen smaller hardware and lumber stores.

But you know what - it's not that bad of a deal for Wal-Mart to be here. We've got a community college with trade schools and plenty of affordable housing with industries that utilize the trades at the school. You're not supposed to retire on shelf-stocking.

Their Management/Business practices are atrocious! Sam Walton would have fired the whole lot of them if he were Alive!

Apparently, you live in an area where the regional management is much different. While Sam Walton originally set up his stores to sell all-American products - I'm sure even he could understand the reasons to move away from this. Let the people in the Philippines make spoons and pots/pans and let Americans move on to making things that require more education or a more established/mature industry.

We can't sit around doing the same thing we've always done and expect things to miraculously improve.

Their profits are still going through the roof. Just not from American Consumers. I bet most of the Items on the shelves over in their Chinese retail locations are actually MADE IN CHINA

It wouldn't make sense for them to be made in America. The federal minimum wage for an American workers is $7.25/hour. American corporate taxes on industry are higher (regardless of who is buying the products), and the only reason to buy something from America is because it is not available somewhere else or not cost-effective to produce it domestically (Chinese industry loses cost-effectiveness in a hurry once quality controls are placed on products).

They would have to spend proportionately more money on American products than they would buying them from china, Mexico, Pakistan, and a number of other places we -also- get our textiles and other consumables from.

Sure - America is in an economic crunch. The reason for this is massive numbers of people living on credit and a general lack of progression within our economy. Once, we were among the few countries sporting industry that could produce the critical parts for automobiles, aircraft, computer components, etc. Now, that's all changed - and we're not initiating new industries to take the place of the old ones.

Of course - the prospect would change in a hurry if we were to authorize the drilling of oil wells in our own damned country.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Hamburger $2.65 a Lb

That chance may come when you are in your 60's according to statistics on the age of people winning the lottery.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by budski

So your anti-capitalist?

Gotcha!

I'm a HUGE capitalist... and I see all sorts of wealth everywhere in this country... wealth we have yet to even tap!

It's not as bleak as people believe... which is kinda the issue.. it's more about attitude than it is about objectivity

I wouldn't say I'm anti-capitalist, because what we are seeing isn't capitalism, it's keynesian economics.

Capitalism is a level playing field, what we have today isn't.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not sure where you get your hamburger but where i get mine it isnt "processed" and its not expensive. They take the chuckk or sirloin and run it through a grinder right in front of you and nothing is pre-packaged. They grind what they sell.

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Hamburger $2.65 a Lb

I bought a 3.5 lb pork butt for $9 last weekend, added two onions and a $2.75 bottle of BBQ sauce and fed 16 people pulled pork sandwiches for less than $14 total...

Not too shabby if you ask me

I eat healthy everyday as in foods I make from scratch... if you are willing to actually cook your food, you will find it's much much cheaper than you expect....

Hamburger doesn't count because it's a PROCESSED FOOD... not a whole food like a roast etc... so they charge more for it...
edit on 29-4-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Wal-Mart runs about a 3% average profit margin - interestingly, it is up considerably from previous years: ycharts.com...

I'm sorry I disagree. Maybe On their Electronics and house hold appliances. [Which is the same for any retailer in those fields] Lost Leads Designed to draw in the consumer to purchase Coffee, coffee filters or over priced ink for their printers or DVDs and Blu-rays movies for their new players Ad infinitum...

But what are their retail mark ups on all the rest of their products? You're right and I agree. Sam Walton did open his stores with "American Made" products and understood that they should put back into the local economies. I've lived on both East and West coasts, in large, medium and small population areas so please don't try to brush off my opinion as being some sort of "Regional thing" Their retail tactics are well known & documented.

Why are they not concerned about the "Consumer" instead of what the Consumer is spending?

pffft

edit on 29-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: typos and I spilt my coffee while answering the phone. I'm at work.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join