It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Prophet' faces fine for quake warning

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

if someone yelled fire in a theatre and I saw no smoke or fire, i would not run. if you are too stupid to think for yourself, that's your problem. and how often does this actually happen, that we need laws against it? when was the last time you stopped yourself from killing someone ONLY because it was against the law?

Don't be silly. The point was about instigating mass hysteria and confusion which could result in harm or death, something that shouting "fire" in a crowded environment would do. To sit there in your armchair saying "well if I couldn't see any smoke then I'd stay put, anyone who panics is an idiot" is simplistic and naive.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Gosh what does fear mongering have to do with freedom of speech?

We are talking about a region known for deadly tsunamis and earthquakes, all those asian countries has certain measures to protect their population, everyone isn't "in on it" to cull the world population. Those countries have warning systems in place to protect their people and for the people to jump when it really matters.

Last thing anyone in the world needs is for people to continuously cry wolf, these "prophets" should be punished.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Originally posted by RicoMarston

if someone yelled fire in a theatre and I saw no smoke or fire, i would not run. if you are too stupid to think for yourself, that's your problem. and how often does this actually happen, that we need laws against it? when was the last time you stopped yourself from killing someone ONLY because it was against the law?

Don't be silly. The point was about instigating mass hysteria and confusion which could result in harm or death, something that shouting "fire" in a crowded environment would do. To sit there in your armchair saying "well if I couldn't see any smoke then I'd stay put, anyone who panics is an idiot" is simplistic and naive.

Not only that,but such behaviour could also get you killed. You stay still and everyone else in the place runs, you may be trampled to death. Worse than that, lets imagine you set the high example of calm and serenity, and when someone bursts into the theatre and screams fire, you do nothing. Maybe you are in a position where people are going to look in your direction to see where the shout came from. Lets say they see you there, calm and serene, and think "Hell, Im not moving if that serene fellow isnt!".
One would look pretty smart when the fire cuts off the exits before one has a chance to move out of the seat, and even more daft when one chokes to death before being burnt to a cinder.

As an aside to my response, I have to say that it galls me to think that people who agree that the governments of the world are liars , secret keepers, and every kind of corrupt (a veiw I entirely agree with) are the same people who would ignore a warning of impending doom!

<< 1  2  3   >>

join