It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Prophet' faces fine for quake warning

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hmmmm, shouldn't they wait until after May 11 to call BS ?

They would probably throw me in jail and throw away the key for one of my threads

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Did the guy above me say he hopes this comes to America? Obviously not thinking before speaking...

Yeah you have the crazy, or truly sincere people trying to make predictions. Even more trying to make money off it. But, that's the cost of the complexities of freedom. Don't trade it for the simplicity of rules and regulations, please.

"Those who trade freedom for security are both ignorant and deserve neither"

Actually its:

"Those willing to give up liberty for security deserve niether and will lose both."

May 11th check.
May 21st check.
June 21st check.
October 21st check.

Am I missing any other days where I'll die or or raptured. :p

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Finnaly fines for prophets and good law ..... just hit them in the pocket ...i hope this law will be implemented in US soon

OMG! Really? Just because someone "predicts" something doesn't give anyone the right to fine them! If you don't believe the person, then ignore them. For those people that choose to drop everything and build shelters, that is their own decision. No one else has any right to cause any kind of punishment for making predictions, just like you wouldn't have any right to fine those that say nothing will happen. That is also a prediction.

It's just like watching TV, if you don't like what they are saying/showing, change the dang channel.
edit on 29-4-2011 by CuriousEnigma because: Added quote that I meant to reply to.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

reply to post by gandhi

What security ? Why are you mixing things ? This law is good ... We have science and scientists which is their job to warn us if Nibiru,Elenin, or some other crap that will put us in the danger. Or you think every scientist is goverment cover up agent.Nobody can predict exact time , location and strentgh of quakes till now ,especially not some blogger who thinks he is a God and scaring ordinary people and messing up with their lifes.Just hit them in the pocket .

Lol.

If I wanted to make predictions that's my decision. If someone wanted to follow my predictions that's their decision. It is not the place of the US government to decide who gets to make predictions and who does not. Spirituality falls under religious freedom, and our right to speak our mind regarding prophecies is protected by the 1st amendment.

Like many wise people have stated, we would not need freedom of speech if we all agreed with one another. Its only when someone disagrees with you and wants to shut you up that you need some medium to protect your right to speak your mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

So you defend shouting "fire" in the crowded room then - after all it's only everyone's personal decision to panic and run for the exits?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
And i thought that it will be Rome to be the center of a huge quake that will evaporate thjis city on may 11.. strange indeed.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

What security ? Why are you mixing things ? This law is good ... We have science and scientists which is their job to warn us if Nibiru,Elenin, or some other crap that will put us in the danger. Or you think every scientist is goverment cover up agent.Nobody can predict exact time , location and strentgh of quakes till now ,especially not some blogger who thinks he is a God and scaring ordinary people and messing up with their lifes.Just hit them in the pocket .

So if one of these scientists differs from the others in his opinion of how far Elenin will miss by and says it will pass real close to, say Utah, causing mass panic and evacuations, he should be arrested as a criminal? Will there then be a show trial where he is accused of being a terrorist? Will other show trials follow? Will TPTB and the NWO/One World Government have an excuse to increase internet surveillance, censorship, and ultimately control of the www, to "avoid panic"? Will we all be black listed as collaborators? Will ATS and the like be closed down and the owners accused of all sorts of (cough) nonsense? Will all the prophecies of Nostradamus be banned? Will the Holy Bible be edited and re-written, removing all prophecies? How far could this go?

People died in their thousands in WW1 and WW2 to preserve freedom and democracy, and whilst I personally despise the many false prophets that preach disaster they have a right to express themselves freely while we have a right to listen to them or to ignore them. Legislation will just cost more money and go snafu.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I am going to make a startling prediction that is a sure thing.

Ready.... wait for it......

Here it comes......

I am predicting that fines and penalties, and even imprisonment will not prevent the utterance of prophetic statements.

Let me know if I'm right.

Of course I'm right.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by dalan.

So you defend shouting "fire" in the crowded room then - after all it's only everyone's personal decision to panic and run for the exits?

Hey, look at me! i r using flame faces too lol

i r so angry

But no, I do not find running into a crowded room and shouting "fire" amusing...unless of course there actually were a fire. In that case I would find it necessary. You are getting "predictions" and "trouble-making" mixed up. Allow me to fill your mind with knowledge since you seem to be lacking an understanding of basic definitions:

prediction [prɪˈdɪkʃən]
n
1. the act of predicting
2. something predicted; a forecast, prophecy, etc.

mis·chief (mschf)
n.
1. Behavior that causes discomfiture or annoyance in another: Shouting FIRE in a crowded room
2. An inclination or tendency to play pranks or cause embarrassment.
3. One that causes minor trouble or disturbance: The child was a mischief in school.
4. Damage, destruction, or injury caused by a specific person or thing: The broken window was the mischief of vandals.
5. The state or quality of being mischievous.

Please read the definitions slowly so you don't over-exert yourself.

Human beings generally make predictions as a forecast of something to come. Whether a person believes that it comes from God, aliens, or psychic phenomenon is irrelevant as we are protected by the 1st amendment. The only reason someone would want to have people who make predictions fined is because they are donkeys who cant handle the fact that not everyone believes the same things they do.
edit on 4/30/2011 by dalan. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
And, of course, I never said that. You'd be hard pressed to prove anyone who started a thread here was looked at seriously in the first place. What I am saying is that if someone announces a prophecy and people suffer damage because of it, they can be held liable. I am NOT saying we ought to make another law against false prohecies. I AM saying if you do so, you can be held liable. Civil Court would be the way to do it.

And, of course, I never said that you said that.

What you are suggesting is that a ''prophet'' should be punished, not because of his words, but because of the reaction of people beyond his control to those words.

This is pandering to people with a lack of personal responsibility.

For example, if my spouse became enamored with your "teachings" and you predicted the end of the world, and as a result she killed herself, thus leaving me to raise the children alone, And, of course, your prophecy did not come true, then I have grounds to sue you This done all the time. It is not unusual.

And why wouldn't that be entirely your spouse's problem for believing the words of a charlatan ?

No-one is forcing anybody to believe anything.

Or, if I'm not prone to court suits, I might just take you out, and that would be the basis of my defense.

I hope you could afford a good lawyer, because you'd need one if that was your defence !

I see no reason whatsoever that you should not be held responsible for the results of your actions. That is just so basic as to be fundamental and certainly as self-evident as the 'pursuit of happiness.'

And if somebody is gullible enough to sell all of their possessions and head to the hills because of what this ''Wang'' says, then they should be held responsible for their own actions.

He shouldn't be fined just because some people are highly impressionable.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Hey I thought the flame was appropriate for the question

So there are limits to free speech then, in your world?

How about if I ran into a room shouting "there's going to be a fire in 30 seconds - the boiler is going to blow up, you all have to get out NOW!!"

that's a prediction too.....

Just trying to gauge what your limits are....

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

reply to post by dalan.

Hey I thought the flame was appropriate for the question

So there are limits to free speech then, in your world?

How about if I ran into a room shouting "there's going to be a fire in 30 seconds - the boiler is going to blow up, you all have to get out NOW!!"

that's a prediction too.....

Just trying to gauge what your limits are....

With rights come responsibility. If someone were being mischievous with their predictions simply to incite panic, then those people should be responsible for the individuals and property that they harmed.

There are many mediums for making predictions, some prefer certain methods over others. You can use science, psychic abilities, shamanism, religious incites, even dreams. If someone comes to a revelation they should have the freedom to share it. It seems to me that the OP wants to fine people for making predictions simply because he/she disagrees with their belief systems.

Also, who would get to decide what medium is Ok to use to make predictions and who decides who gets fined? No matter who is making the decision, and no matter what the decision is...its going to be biased.

We have seen many predictions on ATS, and I generally take them all with a grain of salt. I've never once read a prediction on here and felt that someone was "screaming fire in a crowded theater."

Instead of fining people, evaluate each incident uniquely.

Sorry about the flame.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

and then fine them??!!

The "prophet" is now being investigated for links to a company dealing in surplus shipping containers, with a view to figuring out whether fraud is involved......

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 1-5-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

and then fine them??!!

The "prophet" is now being investigated for links to a company dealing in surplus shipping containers, with a view to figuring out whether fraud is involved......

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 1-5-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

And THAT my friend, is what people should be fined for.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
All these replies and not 1 person with enough brains to ask What are you gonna say IF this guy's predictions happens exactly as he said it would????? Im sure some idiot would still want him fined!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Sometime I believe that freedom of speech is a bad thing. Imagine if there where "prophets" prophesizing about quakes and death all the time and people believed them, what can you do? Do as they say until the we find out the truth or ignore them and wait?

The should be some control on "freedom of speech and expression"

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SIGNSTODAY

Signs, if the event is to be as bad as the prophet has predicted, then there wont be anyone around to fine him, that much is clear. People will be far to busy drowning, mourning the loss of thier entire environment as well as thier families, friends, and culture. The point therefore, is moot. There are , what, nine days to go before the deadline? Some say you shouldnt be harsh about this fool until he is proven wrong. In this instance, and any instance of fortune telling, you SHOULD call bunk until there is proof.
Making an outrageous claim should force a person to provide outrageous proofs, and this idiot has done nothing but stir people into a frenzy using thier own fear.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Perhaps the concept of free speech SHOULD be limited to things which are not simply baseless, fearmongering lies.
Now if only we could instate something like this regarding this damn 2012 nonsense.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof7

i hope this law will be implemented in US soon

free speech a bad thing for you? What other rights would you like to remove also?

This "prediction" and it's consequences is akin to shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre. Would you support that as "free speech"?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

reply to post by dalan.

if someone yelled fire in a theatre and I saw no smoke or fire, i would not run. if you are too stupid to think for yourself, that's your problem. and how often does this actually happen, that we need laws against it? when was the last time you stopped yourself from killing someone ONLY because it was against the law?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join