It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can knowledge be bad if it detracts from imagination?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The more you know, the less you can imagine, as not-knowing is really the origin point of imagination itself?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

This is an interesting excuse to not do your homework.

I'd say- there are plenty of other things to use your imagination on that you know nothing about... but I like the idea none-the-less. I don't, however, want it effecting any potential to find things out that I wish to know. Hopefully this brilliant idea will remain unenforceable in practice.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
The more you know, the less you can imagine, as not-knowing is really the origin point of imagination itself?

Its a nice cylce actually simple and beautiful. Science has shown this. Once one question gets answered more open up and people think. A good example of this is when science was first discovering microscopes and finding small life forms in water....then people thought, hey what if there were even smaller things then that....then eventually the atom came along and what was in an atom and we are still going deeper. Or the explosion of ideas and theories presented and researched due to black holes being discovered and theorizing how they work.
Its a great chain it seems.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
It takes works of imagination to create what is known, and it takes knowledge to understand the works of imagination. They are 2 sides of the same coin, like much of life. Knowing everything means you can imagine everything, but everything means infinity, so it will never cease and you'll never have to worry about a loss of imagination.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
As others have said... one feeds into the other. Nothing is imagined that isn't rooted in a prior experience or understanding, and nothing new is understood without imagination.

The only thing that can detract from imagination is yourself... primarily due to fear of looking silly.

Namaste!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Knowledge has the opposite effect upon my imagination.

The more I find out, the more I connect the dots between other bits of information that my brain carries around.

The more new things that I learn, the more doors are opened up which lead me down new paths.

And that makes my imagination and all of the "what ifs" run wild for me.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Knowledge has the opposite effect upon my imagination. The more I find out, the more I connect the dots between other bits of information that my brain carries around. The more new things that I learn, the more doors are opened up which lead me down new paths. And that makes my imagination and all of the "what ifs" run wild for me.

Exactly my thoughts!

Besides, I still fantasize and imagine things I know do not adhere to common knowledge/universal truths.

For example, just because I know I can't fly or have pyrokinesis doesn't mean I can't imagine.

If I still had legos I'd play with them all the time.. And I am 25

edit on 29-4-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit

I do still have legos...
and I do still build things with them all the time.
They forgot to confiscate them when I applied for my Adult Card...so I just never brought it to their attention.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

That's exactly right. The more you "know" (i.e., having been taught, particularly through formal education or even by reading the texts of others) the less you imagine yourself. You will never, ever forge a new path if you follow the ones built by those before you. I know there will be many who comment hereafter about "not needing to reinvent the wheel" each time, but I suspect that this doesn't apply so much anymore, what with the incredible rate of information exchange out there. Sitting around in classrooms, being spoon-fed already old information cannot be conducive to broad thinking. But maybe that's fine for some! Maybe there's room for both ways. We need to loosen the grip of academia over our intellectual progress though. You don't need a piece of paper to give you permission to have valid thoughts.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

I think I understand what you are trying to say here.

If something is commonly accepted as truth, or knowledge we except that and no longer continue to imagine why it may be that way.Which could and has lead to ignorance if the accepted truth or knowledge is not in fact correct.

But as others have pointed out knowledge also has the power to stimulate imagination.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
"In the beginner's mind all things are possible" - Shun Ryu Suzuki
I agree with what you are saying, The more we know the smaller the probable outcomes. I had many years of discipline in the visual arts and it seemed the more I learned the less creative I became. Learning develops brain pathways and the stronger those pathways are the more difficult it is to think beyond them. This is the essence of conditioning and why Americans have difficulty thinking beyond the current paradigm we are caught up in. It can only lead to further conformity becoming static and eventually dying because the creative impulse has been killed,

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
Exactly my thoughts!

Besides, I still fantasize and imagine things I know do not adhere to common knowledge/universal truths.

For example, just because I know I can't fly or have pyrokinesis doesn't mean I can't imagine.

Are you *sure* you can't fly or have pyrokinesis? Or do you just not know how?

Thinking you know what you can't do is basically the "bad" application of knowledge. It's more workable to hold the perspective of "I don't know how to fly of my own free will... but I don't know if I can't".

Have you tried the old falling and missing the ground trick?

Namaste!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Knowledge has nothing to do with imagination.
Self evident fromm this thread.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

Can you elaborate?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Good topic.

Okay, let's comprehend here the difference between fantasy and Imagination.

Fantasy is mechanical, whereas Imagination is Conscious (Imagination is related to Vipashyana in Buddhist Meditation).

Here is a great quote from Albert Einstein (with Gnostic commentary in parenthesis):

"(Conscious) Imagination is more important than (intellectual) knowledge." – Albert Einstein

As Samael Aun Weor wrote:

Intellect

"The intellect is a very precious instrument for the Great Work of the Father, when it is absolutely used for the pure service of the Spirit. A mystic without intellect fails because of lack of culture (see Intellectual Culture). The intellect is satanic when it is used for the service of the internal beast. The intellectual villains (cynics and skeptics) are the result of intellectualism without spirituality."

– Samael Aun Weor, The Aquarian Message

Here is an excellent practice for working with and strengthening the Imagination (link):

The Supraconsciousness

"Imagination, Inspiration, and Intuition are the three obligatory steps of the Initiation.

"We are going to examine each one of these three steps separately.

"Let us begin with Imagination...."

edit on 29-4-2011 by Tamahu because: added link

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon

I know a lot about some things.
I know very little about some things.
I surround myself with people who all know something about something.
Pooled together, we are a collective bank of knowledge.
Our imaginations pull us forward through this bank of knowledge, asking ourselves "what if", until finally we discover new things that we didn't know before.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

No. Knowledge is the basis for imagination. You actually do not "create" anything truly original in your head. All you do is piece together "knowns" in a new way. The more "knowns" you have, the more creative you can be because you have more things that can be spliced together in new ways.

A thought experiment is to consider a unicorn. Although imagination was used to create it, it is a horse with a horn on its head. A patched together creation of knowns. As are our images of aliens.

You seem to be trying to play off the idea that the wise are those who "dont know" but this is a whole other thing from imagination. You still dont need to stop gaining "knowledge" you simply never let the bits of data you call "knowledge" stop you from looking and taking in new evidence. The wise have lots of knowledge, they just do not let it become rigid in their mind, they keep the mind in "search" mode all the time.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
you simply never let the bits of data you call "knowledge" stop you from looking and taking in new evidence. The wise have lots of knowledge, they just do not let it become rigid in their mind, they keep the mind in "search" mode all the time.

This.
....times infinity.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu

Here is a great quote from Albert Einstein (with Gnostic commentary in parenthesis):

"(Conscious) Imagination is more important than (intellectual) knowledge." – Albert Einstein

He is saying that the ability to make new connections between things is more important that simply memorizing a thing and holding it like a static rock in your mind. A tape recorder can hold "knowledge" but it cant take what it "knows" and put it together in new ways that have greater value.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
having thought about this some, knowledge is good and all that but let's say imagination is all you have.

Like, if you are in a position where you can't gain external information or something like that... or even if you do have knowledge and are isolated or something, like in a dungeon... and to keep yourself from going practically braindead from boredom- your imagination steps up and says "I'LL take it from here!"

The imagination is powerful. It can seem to be bad to be lost in imagination but perhaps it's simply a different state of being. The imagination can extract knowledge from seemingly out of nowhere ie... figuring # out. The mind does not have to be fed by traditional means to be active and viable... and to learn.

I hope I'm not repeating anyone because i just jumped on here a few minutes ago.
edit on 30-4-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join