It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to temporarilly "turn off" empathic abilities?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
It's understandable to get weirded out when something tragic happens. Especially if weird weather is involved.

I don't really consider myself too much of an empath because sometimes I feel kinda numb towards others, although i do wish i could help people a lot. It's not often but sometimes I alarm myself how my feelings get shut down somehow. I have to pull myself back sometimes. I tend to get set off by the strangest of things... because of the craziness of life. I do try to help people, even though I'm not often in a position to help... but there's a part of me that can't help but to be selfish... and I'm not a selfish person. i know the importance of giving and sharing.

it's often the strangest little thing that no one else would notice... things that don't seem important at all to others in what they think the grand scheme of life is... but there is a connection to something, I know there is. It gets distorted. life plays tricks on my mind. people distort and misconceive and it drives me nuts... and once I'm angry or hurt about certain things, meditation- useless. drinking can never be in moderation when this happens. something drastic has to change, either in circumstances or my whole frame of mind and it often takes something hard and profound.

It's hard to say for your situation because it doesn't sound the same.

maybe you should just go out and try to help... do it while sobbing. no one is going to condemn you for that when something bad is happening. just do it while crying. if you can make things better, then you will feel when the trouble starts to pass the same way you feel the negative now.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

Three suggestions:

1. Clear your chakra points and verify you're not blocking your own energies with the effort. Spin your wheels clockwise and counterclockwise to break entanglements.
2. White sage smudge sticks clear out negative energies in the area. (Keep an eye on the stick. Don't blow it out- or relight it. It will burn only as much as needed.)
3. Soak in a nice bath with a cup of Epsom Salt. (No longer than 15 min. - do this only if you don't have any kidney issues.) Magnesium is an awesome mood stabilizer and helps the body reabsorb calcification in the pineal gland.

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

I'm absolutely not speaking of devaluing them. I'm saying that it goes on all around us all the time. We have over-inflated the value of human life vs all other life on this planet. If you cried when the grass was mowed, as did I, then surely you realize this on some level. Realize it fully now.

What is most important though is to really understand what these energies are doing. They will course through our lives regardless of how much or little we wish them too. They are huge! Think of them as ocean currents. You can't expect them to halt for your sentimentality, so readjust your perspective.

And we can ask too: Are we lucky to be alive? Do you know what's coming? This is just the beginning of the period of major change. Keep that uppermost in your mind and work with the energies, not against them. You won't win.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

maybe everyone shouldjust become more sensitive probably be for the better

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

The more sensitive you are, the more illogical your perceptions become. A balance is a requirement.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

"Illogical"? What, are you Spock or something?
Logic has little to do with feelings, mon ami. Until you feel enough, there cannot be sufficient depth and breadth of understanding. It takes practice to understand feelings. Our culture has discounted feelings for so long that trusting one's feelings is a lost art. Why do you think so many psychics are counted as charlatans? It's not because they're wrong but because few can interpret the signals correctly. What we consider to be "stable" and "rational" are not absolutes. They are constructs created by our society.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

Logic has everything to do with feelings. The more sensitive you become, the more you deviate from logical reasoning towards magical thinking. Why do you think people get used and abused in interpersonal relationships so often while ignoring all the seemingly obvious signs of use?

Think the man/woman that cheats on their partner
Think the dictator that in a time of crisis uses relative perceptive speech to influence the masses for his own gain? (Hitler)
Think the kidnap victim who ends up "relating" more to their abusers and captors? (Stockholm Syndrome)

But at the same time, without empathy, we deviate into carelessness and logical fallacies. (Sociopaths)

Equilibrium is key. People just need to find it.
I fear I am going to hijack this thread.

Why do you think so many psychics are counted as charlatans? It's not because they're wrong but because few can interpret the signals correctly.

This sounds to me like rationalisation for lack of evidence regarding psychic phenomena on a macro-influential scale.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I had the same thing go on when they were having all that flooding and whatnot in east Asia a while back, and it was bad enough that I tried to kill myself a couple of times. I feel for you.

What I would recommend the following, all of it in combination:

Get some kind of cheap, low-metal bangles or other metal jewelery to wear on your left wrist, or if you are left-handed, wear them on your right wrist. Passive hand is receptive and it is the avenue through which we draw in a lot of energy, emotional and otherwise. Crap metals block the flow of chi.

If you smoke Wonderful Extremely Entertaining Drugs, take a tolerance break for now. The green stuff makes some people a lot more receptive.

Use some kind of purifying bath daily.

Watch something meanly hilarious every night, like South Park.

Direct your thoughts everywhere but towards the damaged locales.

Always try to have some kind of food in your belly. Keeps you grounded and less receptive to external feelings. Carrots are good, and they seem to linger for a while.

Temporarily suspend any kind of energy awareness exercises you do. This one can be difficult if you actively rely on it for mundane activities, so it will be like running blind for a week or so.

Daily, visualize that you have built a wall all the way around your heart, a thick wall which blocks out all sounds and all influence which you do not experience from direct interaction with other people. When the crisis is over, visualize taking down the wall.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm back (and not drunk) now. Today is better than yesterday was. Hopefully last night was the worst. Honestly, it kinda scared me last night because I've never had an experience THAT intense before. Thinking that it's the circle of life and that they WILL all eventually recover helps and I'm going over to hang with my best friends, one of which taught me how to shield and other a few other things like that.The other gives fabulous massages.

Yeah. I was an empath with no shielding and no grounding *shudders*. Bad times were had for all...

As for shielding... I'll say this you and your mind has everything to do with it. Yes, finding your center is important, and can be difficult... Oh, I also did a bit of house cleaning there. That's probably why I feel SO much better. From there, you can "make" a shield. I have two. First layer is a ball of liquid that hovers over me for a moment then pops and pours the liquid over me forming a sort of armor, the second is the standard bubble shield.

I... think? I read that someone was curious about how to make shields. Hope it helps. Thanks for all the advice and I vow only to resort to vodka when I just can't stop crying... like last night. It felt like some monster was clawing down my shields as soon as I could reinforce them.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

It's good to remember that you are in a human body, dealing with consciousness, while interpreting information. So shield all three. (I'm sure you know this already- just want to mention it)

The emotional aspects are exacerbated through the little gut and hippo campus. Calm your little gut. Quiet the chatter. SleepyTime tea is excellent for this, as is a magnesium bath. Managing your receptors is the strongest way to shield yourself.

I have also found it beneficial to teach my 'mind' to alert me, whether for pain, fear, empathy, etc- but then to let it be silent so I can reason out the best way to do a thing. Getting your majority of receptors on your side is your greatest strength. It is also how you are protected from pain, should you decide to lie on a bed of nails.

White sage is anti-negativity, as well as anti-viral, biotic and parasitic. Nature has a way of making things relevant in more ways than one.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nithaiah

Nice list. I didn't realize crap metals worked to block chi. This is informative.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nithaiah

I'm wearing a cheap metal cuff bracelet now and it IS helping! Who knew! Thanks for the tips!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

Turning that ability of is like turning off any of ur other senses - it can't be done, all u can do is ignore it. I have the same problem, my shields are broken due to this "ascension" crap. I cry at the drop of a hat, when I get angry electronic devices do not work properly. Welcome to my world.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If you are going through which many others are going through, it is an opening up of sorts. This seems to allow a connection that we have not learned to control yet.

I picked up on the one immature and rude comment, most definitely an arrogant personality. Many like myself are strong beyond what some like that think, we are just changing. I am a man in my seventies, and have had many friends, children I have raised through school and hundred of other die or become seriously hurt while I worked on them, I did not break. Yet recently like yourself, the greed and cruelty of life gets through to me and I too broke down recently.

A few days ago, I reached out with my consciousness and found some lost keys for my wife,got dizzy and disoriented. Then a day later I reached out, way out from myself, and had to remain seated for the rest of the day, I could not connect to my body until over a day later. Yup, I know of needing grounding.

What I suggest, use normal things that bring joy, your interests which in my case is sailing or kayaking. Walk in the grass barefoot, become one with the earth. And for Gods sake ignore the stupid shallow unknowing comments.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I Understand you problem better than some here it would appear.
With the overwhelming emotions you are receiving from others it becomes so very hard, to not be swept away in them.

You will have to take control yourself and project the calm.

You know their effect on you. Now you have a responsibility to us all, to help us all through this. You must find your calm and your love and give it to the ones around you.

Sorry if you were looking for simple and easy but this is the lot you were cast.

Welcome to the war and we will win.

BTW I know you have been doing this and how hard it gets but we all have our roles. Love and light be with you always. Look for help and receive it from others. Know it is not hopeless. Only you can chose to be alone because as you know we are always here.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Ubeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I believe your parents (one or both) are narcissistic. If they are, then you have co-narcissism and need to go see a Counselor. In my professional opinion, you need seek help, if not, I'm afraid you'll hit an great depression episode and the worst may happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

You've gotten a lot of advice here. There are empath communities on the web..get involved witth them, you can learn techniques. Drinking vodka is only gonna make matters worse --I'm sure you know this. In addition to things already suggested you can say your own name over and over when you are feeling too many other peoples emotions. It will bring you back to yourself. Mantras are good too..either traditional mantras or one you choose yourself like "love" or "peace" --or a short phrase you can repeat. And I don't know what spiritual leanings you may have or not have but some find it helpful to call on their angel or spiritual helpers/guides.

Its not bad to feel emotions. Don't overextend yourself ..try to help others but don't take on more than you can handle. Know yourself.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I am a VERY empathic person, but do not how ever believe in all of this new age belief mumbo jumbo. Honestly if you are a true empatic person it is by your senses of observation both sight and sound. There fore if you want to stop recieving you must stop observing, isolate away from the situations that are plaging you and concentrate on something else. Talk to no one that has been affected and see no pictures or video clips.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by abaraikenshi
I believe your parents (one or both) are narcissistic. If they are, then you have co-narcissism and need to go see a Counselor. In my professional opinion, you need seek help, if not, I'm afraid you'll hit an great depression episode and the worst may happen.

? Who let freud into the convo? To the OP, find a element that coinsides with your birth sign. For instance mine is water. When Im near it, its much easier for me to relax. I too suffer greatly by being severly empathic. I can feel others within a good radius. I too have tried many things including booze and stuff to kill the feeling.

I strongly suggest that whatever you do, you learn to control it in your own way. While the advice here is good, it is ultimatly up to you how you proceed. And to decide whats best for you will take time.

If you need support just hit me up. Part of being empathic is also the ability to take on anothers emotion, or build up there of (whether its yours or not). It causes me great physical drain, yet I'd be willing to do it for you to help you cope. This abilty has made me a hermit of sorts, yet I have gained better understanding of people in general from it.

Trial and error will eventually give you peace, just dont throw in the towel...there are many like you. Telempathy doesnt have to be all bad.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

"Illogical"? What, are you Spock or something?
Logic has little to do with feelings, mon ami. Until you feel enough, there cannot be sufficient depth and breadth of understanding. It takes practice to understand feelings. Our culture has discounted feelings for so long that trusting one's feelings is a lost art. Why do you think so many psychics are counted as charlatans? It's not because they're wrong but because few can interpret the signals correctly. What we consider to be "stable" and "rational" are not absolutes. They are constructs created by our society.

This is why I effectively flip the emotion switch so that I dont appear to display any (i still feel it sure, but this way im allowed to take a step back from the emotional roller coaster). Sure its no fun at parties, but from that stand point I can then let logic ensue...cal me Spock....cause half the time people get no real response. Emapthy is one extreme or the other, there is no inbetween. Good point tho.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join