It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to temporarilly "turn off" empathic abilities?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'm am close... too close to the tornado damage that happened yesterday. I have been pressed to maintain my shielding (with it constantly being shredded by all the negativity around) all day and I just now drank about a third of a glass of vodka to stop the crying binge I was on. I'll probably have to have more to sleep tonight. I KNOW this isn't healthy btw. I hardly ever drink.
I'd love to go out and help the people that lost everything but I am scared to death to get any closer to the people/deaths than I already am.

ANY information you can offer would be helpful.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Please surround yourself with good friends, and Light.
These are tough times.

Know that others care.
And we'll pray to our God(s) for the safety and healing of everyone where you are.
Take care!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I'll be able to tomorrow. I'm gonna hang out with my best friends and I have been praying/ self-enforced fasting most of the day. It got a lot worse when the sun went down... I guess before then the people working were FOCUSED on something. Now I'm wishing they would all just go to sleep and hopefully have nice dreams.

I'm convinced someone I know relatively well is dead now and that's part of it. The vodka is helping, thank goodness. I'm surprised I didn't wake my hubby with all the crying I was doing. He works for the power company so he needs ALL the sleep he can get.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Sensitive People. I wonder how you'd fare if/when what forum members call "TSHTF" occurs. Maybe you should attempt to learn to control your own emotions?
edit on 29-4-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Well, I do believe in the Rapture. Hopefully, I won't BE here lol.
As for others like me... I'm thinking mass suicide if THIS is how it will be like all the time. That, or a LOT of drunk empaths lol.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
To answer your question...yes, there is a way to temporarily turn off empathetic emotions. Although I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND them, anti-depressants do just that. I had a friend suffering from all kinds of emotional pain and he told me how, when taking them, he was unable to cry. My dad is a nurse, and says the "nurse term" for Prozac is the I don't give a S*** pill.

Empathy is something that make us human. I have personally just broken down and sobbed for things that I can't even physically see. By blocking out that emotion you are disabling any positive that could result from it. It's OK to mourn. Stick with the vodka for the short term, but don't get on anti-depressants.

link   
That's a good question.....i have tried for 30 years with no real absolute luck. If fact I have been avoiding people more so lately..depends on your level of focus.....do you receive background noise? Or are you able to focus it and control the room? If you are truly empathic, not only do you feel, but you can make others feel you. If you have not learned this part I strongly recommend it.

I would caution drinking though, it may help, but its not a good habit to get into...been there done that....

I find that exercise helps, as does nature.....if you can go to the middle of nowhere for at least 20 mins it helps.

Depends on if you want to just shut it down, or if you looking for a better way to understand it...??

My record BTW is focus reading 15 people at once....i was drunk...i don't recommend it.....

link   
Seriously, how would you "shield" yourself from feeling other people ?
I could definitely use some help with this...

Drinking works. Pills just numb everything.

This might sound stupid but this is the only way I have found so far...Look and focus on a plant or tree, take a breath in, focus on sending the emotions from your heart to the tree...then breath out... You should feel a rush go from your heart to your brain and then out.. a big release out.

Have done this while waling in NYC and it works. But I have not found an alternate method...
Obviously you need some type of plant, which in winter are hard to find. And it is not permanent.

edit on 29-4-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

yes, you have to saturate them with artificially painful stimulations: you can play with videogames such Medal of Honor, Call of Duty.
As they are only sensorial and not real stimulations of your empathy, they won´t cause real pain on you, but at the same time they will force your psychic immunitarian system to react developing a sort of resistance against feeling other people pain.
At same time you won´t loose awareness of other people pain: you just won´t feel it.

Warranted effect.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
Sensitive People. I wonder how you'd fare if/when what forum members call "TSHTF" occurs. Maybe you should attempt to learn to control your own emotions?

... Well, I can tell YOU have never had this problem. This is actually the second huge tornado I have been through. I had PTS for the longest time afterwards. My college professors got used to the initial screaming when the test sirens would go off.

I can deal with my OWN emotions just fine, thanks. Everyone I am close to is safe, I've confirmed that. Yesterday everyone was in shock so it wasn't that bad. The thing is, these aren't MY emotions. I am afraid of tornadoes, yes, but no one I was especially close to was hurt. I am feeling the emotions of everyone close by that was hit and hit hard. I'm far enough away that my power only flickered but close enough to feel everything... It's like a wailing that never stops, a creature just outside of me trying to get in. Yes, empathic gifts have their uses... but not in situations like this.

Grow a heart.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Im the most insensitive person here in regards to your feelings. And when the SHTF?....well I grew up around eskimos.and uncle sam.....im sure I will be just fine......got my lawn chair, got my popcorn, got the pack o smokes.....yep all set!

LETS GET IT ON..........

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

Haha well, I would say that would be a last resort. Regardless, I still believe you can learn to control the "flow" of emotion. Maybe you could just focus on meditation, as you seem to be open to these ideas. Practice that self control.

Empathy is the imitation of emotion from perception of other peoples emotions. These are your own emotions. You are not being invaded by an emotional demon.

reply to post by Castogere

GOT MY RIFLE, MY SWORD, MY GRENADES
GOT MY ARMOUR, MY SHIELDS, MY ROCKET LAUNCHER
LETS GIT EET AWN!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Meditation, to help clear the thoughts and possible to block others. I've blocked them somewhat during very disturbing situations by that method. I don't suggest suppressing the empathic abilities and emotions, as it can turn out worse for you afterworlds, but to however grieve while helping others and allow them to help you.
If you must...Also, distracting immersion of a medium such as entertainment may help.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveakaRNG

I had the same experience when I was put on anti-depressants for a while... because of past issues not empathic ones. I got off those things asap. I REFUSED to be dependent on the things for the rest of my life.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

You now have PTSD approach your health accordingly DON'T SINK INTO A DEPRESSION.That can be lethal.No matter what you personally think you aren't expendable.Perhaps there are some who need help.After the initial pain kill (It's ok to get blasted to heal..once)
restart living as strongly as you can

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

reply to post by sisgood

Haha well, I would say that would be a last resort. Regardless, I still believe you can learn to control the "flow" of emotion. Maybe you could just focus on meditation, as you seem to be open to these ideas. Practice that self control.

Empathy is the imitation of emotion from perception of other peoples emotions. These are your own emotions. You are not being invaded by an emotional demon.

reply to post by Castogere

GOT MY RIFLE, MY SWORD, MY GRENADES
GOT MY ARMOUR, MY SHIELDS, MY ROCKET LAUNCHER
LETS GIT EET AWN!

trust me friend, these are not my emotions. i am not depressed about being a 42 year old french national in an American tourist trap stuck in jerkwater usa cause my flight was canceled.

not mine

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

I respectfully disagree. Whenever something major happens... I feel it. With the recent Tsunami I spent the day before in fasting and prayer and many tears... and didn't know why.

With the tornado.. it was strange. I felt wrapped in cotton wool that entire day. It's only TODAY that everything has hit me... hard. I've been tired all day and slept for a lot of it. I did have some entertainment that helped distract me but once the sun went down I just felt restless.

My hubby was really sweet about it too. He held me and brought me roses.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Yes, there is a way to do this, but it requires that you not only feel the energies that cause these events but you must also understand and *accept* them. They neither more nor less than that -- simply energies that run through our existence. You can perceive them as you *choose* to. They can seem painful, causing nothing but suffering, or you can choose to see them like a strong wind blowing weak branches from the trees. I understand when it's family, dear friends, neighbors you've known all your life who are the ones swept away, but their time is there time. They have a part in the change too. Their lives needed significant change, and it was given. What we perceive as "fair", "just", "deserving", "cruel", and all the other possible adjectives one might apply here, that is only from our perspective. We do not see the big picture unless we are already understand things on a higher level. Look at it from a distance. You don't cry when someone digs up a garden, do you? You don't cry and resort to alcohol when someone cuts down a tree. They are merely "unpleasant", at worst. Look from a distance and you will see this the same way, because it is the same, whether your sentimentality likes it or not. It could have been you too, losing everything. But the loss is an illusion. You lose nothing because you had nothing.

This is not callous or harsh. It is simply a view from a distance. I am also from that land and I know that I will lose my family within the near future, due to their location in that country. Things happen. It's why we're here.

Change is the only constant. There is no light without darkness, and vice versa. Accept what happens in life.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 7thcavtrooper

Oh this wasn't nearly as close as last time.
Research the tornado that hit Oak Grove in 98. I was half a mile away and it hit outside of my community, wadded up trailers like tin cans, jumped over my community and hit McDonalds chapel... I've moved now so it wasn't THAT close.

Last time I hadn't "woken up" yet. That didn't happen till my senior year of high school.

I know all about PST cause I got it last time. I don't think I will this time as I am much stronger emotionally than I was back then. I've been through therapy several times and I've forced myself to record and listen to sirens to rid me of my screaming problem. It worked lol

If I could just... for a tiny little while turn everything off though. Not feel from others. It's only making me a burden right now. I don't want to be a burden.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

lol Actually I did cry... and scream when dad mowed down my garden that I had worked for hours and hours on... but I digress.

I see what you're saying but these are people we are talking about. It sounds like you are talking of devaluing them somehow. Maybe... I don't know. I'm a little dizzy right now actually lol. Vodka helps - note to self lol.

With the life I have led... that would be very hard to do. I called every place but the moon trying to find a friend that lives in Hueytown today. She wasn't hit, thank God but I had a real scare.

Maybe I could have the mindset of they are lucky to be alive. They're angry and sad but time can heal a hell of a lot. They need help right now but in the future they will be alright, as before.

I wonder if there is underwear hanging in trees like last time. lol My parents found someone's car keys in their yard this morning.

Anyone missing the keys to a GM?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join