It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare Knocks out Power Worldwide - How would you organize a Community?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I thought of women, elderly, disabled and children when reading your post. I could not personally endorse cutting them off, but I see your point about sending them packing. I think there will be a need for baby sitting, and doing games for kids. So women and elderly can do some of that. Everyone probably could have a skill they could use to assist the community, but it might not be the food producing skill. It might be watching someones kids to allow them to till a field or bring buckets of water to a garden, etc. For the teenagers they might be put to use delivering items to other neighborhoods.
edit on 29-4-2011 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I was more referring to those that wish to itch and complain and refuse to cooperate, you know the type. Not kids or the others mentioned, there will be plenty of work, some hard some easy. I know many elderly women who are quilters, and most are into crafts, these skills need to be taught and used.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Just remember, as long as there is gas and oil, there is power- think generators. And who do you think already controls and has in their possession a whopping HECK of an amount of both? So the arguments for "the military communications and stuff won't work" are questionable.

Remember again. They've got a contingency plan for EVERYTHING, even a massive asteroid impact. And even then some are hoping to survive in underground bunkers! The Idiots. Should have spent the money on making sure each and every city and town in this country had working tornado and earthquake early warning systems tied to infrastructure, like the Japanese.

We paid taxes so that the self appointed could save themselves in the event of the worst. Nice, huh?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

I thought of women, elderly, disabled and children when reading your post. I could not personally endorse cutting them off, but I see your point about sending them packing. I think there will be a need for baby sitting, and doing games for kids. So women and elderly can do some of that. Everyone probably could have a skill they could use to assist the community, but it might not be the food producing skill. It might be watching someones kids to allow them to till a field or bring buckets of water to a garden, etc. For the teenagers they might be put to use delivering items to other neighborhoods.
edit on 29-4-2011 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

If I were to cast a thread that was about, what would make America great again? I bet you would find a lot of these same things mentioned here in this thread. Every sign post you look at now days seems to be pointing
to collapse and not just the U.S.A.. This thread is a good idea.

edit on 29-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I live in a pretty rural area of France. If the power was to fail, life would not change that much for us.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I think there will be a need for baby sitting, and doing games for kids. So women and elderly can do some of that. Everyone probably could have a skill they could use to assist the community, but it might not be the food producing skill. It might be watching someones kids to allow them to till a field or bring buckets of water to a garden, etc. For the teenagers they might be put to use delivering items to other neighborhoods.

I agree and this crossed my mind as well. People deal with crisis in different ways. Some will fall apart and others will kick into gear. Some will need tasks just for the sole purpose of keeping themselves sane and moving forward. And some will need watching and companionship.

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I know many elderly women who are quilters, and most are into crafts, these skills need to be taught and used.

You bring up a good point. The elderly, in a situation such as this, would in fact be a wealth of information about how to operate in a world where meals can't be nuked in 30 seconds and water doesn't flow from the tap when you turn it on.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

reply to post by boondock-saint

boondock I think you should write it. I have thought of the same thing. If small communities start off organizing themselves peacefully, they could very well integrate into a larger network of small communities.

that is EXACTLY how America came into
existence from the 13 colonies

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Yes it is. However, I think the population has not ever considered how this is possible and how it is done. I personally would not fear a total collapse; although, I think a majority of Americans would. Their whole image of themselves is tied around technology and their careers. Most do not know who they actually are outside of the career they have chosen. If that suddenly went away they would be lost. I think you should still write a plan on how this may be possible to do the same thing we did at the founding of our country, but how to do so in current times.

In my plan of action I think that keeping the community size organized is important to a larger plan. Neighboring communities have to work with the others without regard to profit or getting something in return. If one group has access to water, they could deliver the water to their neighboring communities and exchange there. Security is also something that can help. If say one group tries to stop others from getting water without payment, this will be a lose situation. Coordination is key and understanding that the needs of others affects our own needs is an important consideration.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
We just wont take kindly to the welfare parasites and druggies in our neck of the woods...

Otheren that, not muchl change.

Did I mention your avatar has a purdy mouth?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is an excellent thread. Planning ahead of time is essential, either a small local community, or, having info printed up to hand out afterwards, because you need to group all the people up, the vulnerable too and share. You need to gather and collect the tools, and keep mechanics and tradesmen, welders.

The job for the fastest shelters up if you're required to move, which also takes transporting tools , seeds, manuals, and information would be:

yurts

And also, windmills, power, energy, tesla coils, hydroponics, gardening, trout farms.

Some of the tools would definitely be more old fashioned, and with power and harnessing resources, then clean small fractories and technologies, medical servies, teaching, in short community.

Never give up, this is exactly what would be needed.

In a big catastrophe i suggest everyone get rid of ID too.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Very important thread with a wealth of information. Funny that peak oil is one of my most daunting concerns presently and even though the scenerio mentioned in this hypothetical is grid based, I can see the same happening with no oil (or extremely expensive oil). My question is what happen when the scale gets larger? I live in NYC for instance (10 million people), Queens borough where one neighboorhood could have as many as 1000 or more houses and 5000-20000 people. I started thinking how would we get water, would we be able to plant food in parks, lawns, cemetaries etc..

A nightmare scenerio if you live in large urban areas. All I can think about it massive migrations happening and Katrina style desperation.

edit on 29-4-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

I think you could still have water with electricity? Am I correct in thinking that?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join