It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

99 Cent Only stores completely packed with consumers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
After seeing this thread about how Wal-Mart stores are noticing a decrease in their consumers, I have noticed a drastic increase in the amount of shoppers in 99 Cent Only stores. Throughout the day, there are three different ones I might go to, depending on my location and what best fits my schedule. I've been going for a long time now, and it is usually pretty busy, but in the past few months, I've noticed an incredible increase in people shopping. In one store with 8 different lanes opened and it only being 2pm, it still took 10 minutes to get through -- that's just how packed it was. I decided to try and go during 5:30pm to see what it was like, and the lines in all 8 different lanes were, at a minimum, 20 persons long.

With the global crisis the way it is, I was wondering if any of you have noticed these experiences at your own 99 Cent Only store, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, Fred's, cheap store, etc.
edit on 4/28/2011 by SonicInfinity because: Minor grammar edit

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Yes, I have noticed this too, but because of my area (Southern California) I always kind of assumed the people that are shopping here regularly come here regardless, that is.. Well, you know.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Plenty of shoppers in our dollar stores and second hand shops here. Now that the weather is nicer, there will be a lot of people going to flea markets and yard sales.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'm from NYC where there is a 99 cents store on almost every corner, and everyone shops at one for at least a couple of products. My concern would be that those that do not frequent these stores normally would not be aware of some of the products that most people that do shop there stay away from, like toothpaste, electronics, etc,.

Hopefully some people can watch what they buy, I mean I love the stores but I am very careful about what I buy there.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Most of the real dollar stores closed up in my area. We have a lot of stores that say "Dollar" but they are not $1.00 items.
I think of them as lower level Walmart stores. I very rarely shop at them unless I need certain things that I know will cost less. Usually when I go into those stores I don't save because I'm so tempted to buy other junk, and I do mean junk. I have to get in and out with what I came for asap.
I do like to shop Family Dollar when they have their season clearance sales. I got most of my gardening supplies last year for pennies on the dollar.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Never really shopped in them.

Where are the majority of products made?

Is it worth it if profits are going off shore? (meaning if the products bought don't contribute to jobs in your own country)

What is the quality of the products like despite costings?
edit on 29-4-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
A sign of the times. I do volunteer work at my local Salvation Army store, and it is always full of people. It's sad that this is what America is turning into.

Off topic: I love to go into the stores where everything is 99 cents and annoy the staff by repeatedly picking up objects and saying, "How much is this?"

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have a decent-paying job but I shop at second hand stores all the time. For example, I walk at least 5 miles a day as I enjoy walking and being outdoors. I usually wear out the soles of a pair of good leather shoes in about 4 to 5 months. Why spend $100+ for a pair of new shoes when I can buy a "like new" pair at Value Village for $15? I guess some people would be grossed out to wear someone else's shoes, but frankly I have better uses for that $85 difference.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Yes because lets all focus on buying quality merchandise that lasts.

top topics

join