It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spectacular Sun: SDO First Year in Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I just wanted to share this video. I've never seen it and thought it was awesome.

Enjoy.

Highlights from Solar Dynamics Observatory's (SDO) imagery of the Sun, forever changing the way we look at our star. Credit: NASA/GSFC

Spectacular Sun
Info on the Solar Dynamics Observatory

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
very nice video, thanks for showing!
edit on 28-4-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This video is dope, S & F ... When we begin to recognize the beauty across the universe and on our own planet, we might be able to find ways to protect them. Untill then ... Pump that Hummer up with 91 octane, slaughter the rain forests (whats left) and pump some AC through your empty homes !

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

Just awe inspiring! I have always been fascinated by the Sun.......and the fact that we can see it up close like that is amazing! S&F!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
S&F for you, what a beautiful video, fascinating but a little scary looking with those flares.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Those are some sexy prominences.

David Grouchy

On another note I've always wondered what tempurature the sun really is.
The generally accepted answer is 5,778 kelvin, but
the corona runs at more like 5,000,000 kelvin.

Heh, I'm making myself chuckle. That's as pointless as asking
what temperature is space, when the question is more like
"what medium in space can carry away heat."

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

I've also wondered the same thing. I've read somewhere that the core of our Sun can reach 10-15 million degrees, but on the surface it's around 5-6000 degrees give or take. Question is why is the Corona so hot? The further from the sun, one would expect a decline in temperature. Our Sun is full of mysteries. All we can do is wait for technology to advance in hope that we can solve these mysteries.

Side note, i recently watched a movie on Zune called " Sunshine". It's pretty far fetched but was a interesting concept.

Sunshine

50 years into the future, the Sun begins to die, and Earth is dying as a result. A team of astronauts are sent to revive the Sun - but the mission fails. Seven years later, a new team are sent to finish the mission as they are Earth's last hope.

edit on 29-4-2011 by inthemass because: =)

top topics

join