It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ostracism hurts—but how? Shedding light on a silent, invisible abuse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The flip side of this is those of us who, as children, preferred to be left alone to think, daydream, sing- rock in place, whatever- and were forced to interact with others.

Then, because we were different- were ostracized. Perhaps the need to be with others is created in some situations, simply because shunning is later such a powerful tool to control behavior.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

Fantastic, although esoteric, observation!

I did not expect to bring metaphysics into this. But there are numerous schools of mysticism that agree there is more to the human condition than the physical and chemical processes some scientists appear to worship.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ev0lveUp
reply to post by Maxmars

The flip side of this is those of us who, as children, preferred to be left alone to think, daydream, sing- rock in place, whatever- and were forced to interact with others.

Then, because we were different- were ostracized. Perhaps the need to be with others is created in some situations, simply because shunning is later such a powerful tool to control behavior.

It took me time to learn not to relive the pain and humiliation of such incidents. There is no doubt that some cannot muster the will to do that. I suspect the real tragedy lies in those who cannot, in any meaningful way, empathize.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yes, and look how cool we are now...

Nice touch on a difficult subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join