It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck is up with these personal melons? I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I really hate the personal melons the stores are selling now. Here I thought the small melons they sold last year were bad enough. The only good watermelon I ate last year was at a picnic where someone was a member of Sam's Club, where they were able to buy a large watermelon with black seeds. I don't really want to join Sams Club, especially after watching the video about Walmart and reading about what Walmart has done.

Where did all the larger melons go? I love watermelon, but I can't buy any this year. Not with 4 other family members who love melon also. What? Are we going to have one piece each? I'm on a limited budget, and I can't spend around $20 for watermelon, just so everyone would have enough.

Even last year, the stores sold watermelon in plastic containers that held more melon than the whole melons they were selling. I haven't seen any of them out. The other problem is that the melon in the containers lost their flavor. Not that the small melons last year had much flavor anyhow.

Water melon growers are not going to be seeing my money this year. Get back to the normal larger melon with black seeds that are not hybrid, then you get my money.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

you could always grow some. surely you know someone who would allow you to grow some melons on their property, or on your own?

if no one buys the tiny melons from the grocery, they will stop selling them.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

You should try your local public market. You will have more than one farms crop to choose from and the prices are usaully lower. You may even find that one of the grows is local, which means your fruits and vegies should be fresher.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My guess is that they are targeting certain groups of people by making them more expensive and smaller. I can imagine that chicken and corn are also rising in price the coming Summer.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The great melon conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Where are you located? Here in Pennsylvania big oblong watermelons still outnumber weird ball shaped watermelons by a considerable margin.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They don't even taste good! I hate them! they probably have fish genes in them to prevent freezing or something thats why they taste nasty! ;-)
We have too short a growing season and no one grows watermellon here, also any mellons people try to grow quickly get gray molds so not everyone can grow their own.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I really want to have a life where all I have to worry about is someone else's melons.

If I was a guy however....

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think the store may have switched the variety they now carry. Last year i grew a melons that were small and round as you described. They turned out fine being home grown. This year i picked up some Carolina Cross seeds maybe ask the stores if they will carry Carolina Cross melons this year. If you can look in to growing melons this year and test your green thumb.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I had never heard of these before.

Needless to say I didn't get what I was hoping for when I clicked on this thread
I guess the UK is behind on Melon technology
edit on 28-4-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I saw an article not too long ago that showed square watermelons in Japan or china (can't quite remember).. They were like 80 bucks!!!
The little ones I've had (IMO) aren't quite as flavorful as they used to be..

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I know my U.K. friends know this...

Day of the Triffids

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
the shiny suit man is screwing us all...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

I tried that, but I don't live in an area where they can thrive. My brother in law was a farmer, and he said he would be surprised if I could get them growing.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

Ouch, I love chicken...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt

Where are you located? Here in Pennsylvania big oblong watermelons still outnumber weird ball shaped watermelons by a considerable margin.

I live in westmoreland county in PA. I haven't seen a nice oblong watermelon for the past couple of summers even at the farmers market in Monroeville.

top topics

join