It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 million people have no job and have exhausted benefits in the last year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
One Million Exhausted Jobless Benefits in Past Year

Roughly one million people were unable to find work after exhausting their unemployment benefits over the past year, new data released Thursday by the Labor Department suggests.

The back-of-the-envelope datapoint is yet another sign that the labor market remains weak, economists said.

About 8.2 million idled workers were receiving unemployment benefits as of the week ended April 9, the Labor Department said in its weekly jobless claims report. That compares to about 10.5 million individuals at the same time last year, a decline of roughly 2.3 million people.

Since the federal government estimates that the economy created 1.3 million jobs during the 12 months ended in March, economists said that slightly less people probably fell through the cracks and couldn’t find employment.

“That leaves, roughly speaking, about one million people who have exhausted their unemployment benefits and have very likely not yet found a job,” said Joshua Shapiro, chief U.S. economist at MFR Inc. in New York.

And that is if you believe the US government numbers of 1.3 million jobs created. And if they were even created, you can bet a lot of those jobs are either temporary or offer a lower salary...

Yet that crazy Bernanke is continuing his insane economic policies of destroying the dollar... So poor people with less money are getting even less stuff for every $ they spend.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Just watch, the next "improvement" that they are going to throw at us to show how things are improving is when people start working to clean up all the tornado messes. They will throw all these numbers at us that we climbing out of the hole we are in. But in fact it will not be a long term but short term until the messes are cleaned up. More shenanigans to come in the next week or so with false information.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
No jobs. No unemployment. No medical benefits. And most of these people don't even qualify for food stamps or welfare or any other kind of assistance, which is being cut and getting more stringent at the same time, I bet. So what are these people going to do? Be a burden on others in their family whose dollars are already stretched with rising costs everywhere and drive them to pretty much the same place ultimately? Wander the streets aimlessly until they go off somewhere to die? Do people still not realize how serious this is? What are we as a society still willing to put up with here? What will it take to shove people to some sort of action? What is our plan? Are we simply unfeeling? Unthinking? Or are we powerless?
edit on 4/28/2011 by ~Lucidity because: missing period.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Looks like the Bush tax cuts worked! And the tax rebates...that surplus was well spent.
Jobs galore!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Republican governor Rick Scott here in Florida is doing his best to make sure hard working people cannot even get unemployment benefits to start with. His plan is apparently to chase anyone out of Florida who are actually the workers.

Everyone stay clear of Florida...... it's getting even more violent and dangerous here. People are starving and desperate so Rick Scott can say he's lowered unemployment.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Yes, and they probably created the storms for that exact reason!
Nana

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NANAinINDIANA
reply to post by Skewed

Yes, and they probably created the storms for that exact reason!
Nana

I cant say that I agree with that.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I agree. But how do we go about changing things? Vote? What a joke that is. I am ready to DO something, I just don't know how to go about it. We can't even assemble anymore without worrying about being hauled off to jail, and I simply have too many people depending on me to be in jail. I am willing to risk it, though, so if anyone has any suggestions on how we can get something done I am all ears. However, it will take more than one to make a difference, and from what I can tell, everyone just wants to TALK about what needs to happen instead of formulating a plan and actually implementing it!
Nana

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I don't know that I really do either, but I just can't believe all those tornadoes from the past couple of days! Just seems extraordinary to me!
Nana

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The thing that gets me is that the MSM reports that because there are fewer people collecting unemployment, its proof that the economy is getting better and we are coming out of this "recession". When in reality, fewer people are collecting benefits because their benefits have run out...not because they have gone back to work.
Just more skewed spin and feel good propoganda.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Its interesting when the reports come in about unemployment. There are people that have given up and also those that dont have it, and people that have exhausted.

Sad how the government lies to us on a daily basis.
I dont think they understand, once there are no people to give taxes, there will be no money for them. I know they are stupid but that stupid ?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreams n chains
Republican governor Rick Scott here in Florida is doing his best to make sure hard working people cannot even get unemployment benefits to start with. His plan is apparently to chase anyone out of Florida who are actually the workers.

Everyone stay clear of Florida...... it's getting even more violent and dangerous here. People are starving and desperate so Rick Scott can say he's lowered unemployment.

He don't have to do much to achieve this, as it's already near impossible anyway to get unemployment in Florida, beings being fired or quitting you will not receive any benefits anyway. You have to be laid off to receive any UE here in the first place!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Millions of un-employed citizens. Millions of illegal immigrants holding jobs. Hmmmm...
Never fails, when ICE deports thousands of illegals, thousands of citizens then fill those positions.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
And it's only going to get worse.

The culling of the "useless eaters" has begun.

Here in Cook County, Illinois my property tax went up $1,300 from last year.

Read my location.

David Sirota warned everyone a couple years ago with his book Hostile Takeover and I'm glad I got a used library copy at Amazon dot com for dirt cheap. A book worth having.

This book exposes government policy which is pro (read my location name).

One question, how come if our politicians and reps work for us, they have a generous medical and retirement plan and we, who they're suppose to work for.................don't?

And the puny benefits we do have the Republicans are trying to do away with.

Touch my SS my husband and I have been paying into heavily for 40+ years and I will march to the White House and not with just a flag...............

Now, one last comment, while the majority of you were reading romance and vampire novels and watching Dancing With the stars and playing your video games I was reading and posting on ATS about this exact thing coming down the road and met with, oh I don't care..............so what doesn't affect me...............well this is the end result of not caring for your neighbor's plight.

Eventually the bully (corporations) will screw over you when their done screwing over your neighbor.

Watch the second video - David Sirota really nails what is going on.
edit on 28-4-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

In my defense I was not on ATS all those years ago. And I certainly wasn't reading vampire novels or watching dancing with the stars, I was raising my family and also complaining about the crap going on in the world to anyone who would listen. I just hadn't been into the paranormal as heavily that actually led me to this site and anyway even if I was I didn't really have time to do as much research as I was working off my tail and raising youg'uns. But I see what you are saying cause nobody wanted to hear it when I would bring it up in conversations either.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My sister is on unemployment; she is recquired to apply for 3-5 jobs per week but she does more. The main problem is employers are being really picky about who they hire and there are 200 applicants to every one position. This means that this employers can be picky. I have had 3 job interveiws out of countless applications I have done online. Each interview I was fully qualifed for if not over qualified but they each wanted me to work 3 days a week; 12 hour shifts without a break! Many of the jobs that are being offered have bad hours,low pay and no respect for the worker.
I have a part time job, disablity and some college loan money(for another 3 months); so I am not desperate enough to work 12 hours in a mental hospital without a break for $9 per hour. If it was 4 hours 5 days a week I would take it no problem. It is just sad that there are too many workers and not enough jobs. It is sad how these businesses are really taken advantage of their employees and getting away with a lot more because people know that their job is not secure so they will put up with more! Jobs are paying lower than ever, breaking up hours in really biazzare almost abusive ways. It is just getting bad for the poor and middle class we are being hit from every angle!

edit on 28-4-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
My sister is on unemployment; she is recquired to apply for 3-5 jobs per week but she does more. The main problem is employers are being really picky about who they hire and there are 200 applicants to every one position. This means that this employers can be picky. I have had 3 job interveiws out of countless applications I have done online. Each interview I was fully qualifed for if not over qualified but they each wanted me to work 3 days a week; 12 hour shifts without a break! Many of the jobs that are being offered have bad hours,low pay and no respect for the worker.
I have a part time job, disablity and some college loan money(for another 3 months); so I am not desperate enough to work 12 hours in a mental hospital without a break for $9 per hour. If it was 4 hours 5 days a week I would take it no problem. It is just sad that there are too many workers and not enough jobs. It is sad how these businesses are really taken advantage of their employees and getting away with a lot more because people know that their job is not secure so they will put up with more! Jobs are paying lower than ever, breaking up hours in really biazzare almost abusive ways. It is just getting bad for the poor and middle class we are being hit from every angle!

edit on 28-4-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

Hey I work in a mental home 24/7 with no pay (homemaker)

But seriously I'd have done that job, except they'd probably mistake me for one of the patients.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

12 hours a day without a break when I have severe anxieties they might end up committing me lol. This job is a mental health tech what I do is everything that the nurses,Drs or psychologists don't have time to do. I talked to someone who did this job and he told me he had to leave or go insane.
I love helping people but sometimes mental hospitals a patient might flip out and then you have to babysit them in a locked room. I just think this is very abusive to have employees work in a stressful environment for more than 6 hours a day espically without a break. They don't allow you to have a lunch break and you can't eat with the patients. They allow 3 5 minute bathroom breaks but anymore they doc your pay. Believe when they said 12 hours I asked the whole breakdown of breaks. I asked about when do I eat. They told me either before I come to work or after. If I could do 12 hour shifts I would not be on disablity and right now I would be making at least $30k per year as I have a Master's in Psychology.
I admire anyone who could do this job for 12 hours!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

..Umm .. when 1 million people fall through "the cracks" ... it's not a "crack" it's a damn canyon!

And none of those numbers count the 6+ million high school, 2 year, 4 year and 6 year graduates every year. Or the continued influx of illegals.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

TAKE the job, report it to the dept of labor anonymously. They are REQUIRED by law to give breaks. That job is better than no job, like so many out there,

I read that McDonalds hire 60,000 after 1 MILLION applied. I'm sure they would be happy to have the job you are complaining about,

I, myself, would love to have the job. I work 5-9hr days per week... 3-12 hr days would leave me plenty of time to have another part-time job so my family could actually eat, have some tv service, shop somewhere besides 2nd hand stores etc,

Sorry, I'm having a rant, feeling sorry for myself. Have to claim bankruptcy next month to get rid of my house. I know others are worse off than me n my kids. But we're gonna be homeless, even though I have a fulltime job.

It sucks for all of us...

I'm not trying to be hard on you, but many of us WANT and NEED the work.
I don't have credit cards or car payments. Everything is cash or I don't buy it. Except for my mortgage. And I still cannot support my family. I wish I had those hours.

As the joke goes, I need a part-time job to pay for gas to get to my full-time job
edit on 28-4-2011 by tinker9917 because: Regretful statements.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join