It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mainstream music artist, Lupe Fiasco - Words I Never Said Music Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

The music video is really nicee, amazing lyrics.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
too bad its another rip off
why do rappers need to 'sample' other songs? i dont get it
what an excuse .. "i wasnt stealing it, im just sampling it, i have that guys permission, that guy said if i can make a lot of money with my ripped off product and give some to him, then i can use it"

rap is such a joke, the whole scene of it makes me laugh
and they say theyre original?

take a look at it,use other artists songs and hooks
write some crappy lyrics , use a machine to fix their voice
then go on mtv cribs
hey look at all these chains and cars and stuff i have

sure beats selling drugs y`all
(but doesnt beat havin all this stuff and then doin drugs)

bring back the real people and get rid of these jokers

and we'll all float on alright

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Good song, very relevant, The video makes me think of martial law and his girl being re-educated or something.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

Im guessing you didn't even listen to the song.....smh

By the way all music is reused, all the back from classical times
edit on 28-4-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yeah, if I hear Pachelbel's Canon one more time...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

heard it

try listening to that
when rappers start using real instruments then get back to me
HOLLLLERR!
haha

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Modest mouse is soo mainstream.

I like some of their stuff, but it's strange that a group that's always off key is so popular..

Anyway, you wanted some original hiphop.

Here.

edit on 28-4-2011 by DISINFORMANT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

That Modest mouse song is old as hell, and I've know it for years.

I have a degree in music and sociology, and can tell you without a doubt that across the spectrum there is good and bad in every kind of music.

If you can't understand that then you won't understand much in life unfortunately.

We're not having a battle of the songs here buddy, were talking about the CONTENT of the music.

I could easily post a virtuoso playing piano and tell you that they are way more advanced than Modest mouse, but like I said were not judging musicianship here

I would check that arrogant tone of yours, your trying to come off as lofty, but looking quite foolish in the process

By the way RAP stands for rhythm and poetry. It is meant to be without instruments.

Now re-read this post and understand what I am telling you
edit on 28-4-2011 by Skerrako because: schooling this kid

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

typical response
listen to what youre telling me? hahaha yeah dont think so buddy
i dont listen to anyone, when theyre TELLING me. who do you think you are?

i dont care how old something is ... this song wouldnt be what it is if modest mouse didnt write the song first, simple

i dont care for your degrees big deal, we are talking about this one song that the entire post is revolved around
i am showing you how the song first came about. oh talk about your piano players and all that, whats that got to do with the thread? nothing

so im not allowed to have a go at the song but you can have a go at me?
dont make a thread about one song if u dont want to hear somethings going against it

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by questcequecest

heard it

try listening to that
HOLLLLERR!
haha

I don't think you understand the process behind creating music using software.

I play musical instruments and do that, and I must say, the instruments are much much easier. With that said, I know the rappers don't actually make beats themselves, but the whole collaboration to make a song is much more complex than a simple instrumental track.

Unless we're talking about symphonies of course

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

i dont listen to anyone

That explains a lot.

Listening and learning are virtues.

Do you think you know everything there is to know?

If you do: ok

but if you don't you should start learning how to listen to others. Its a sign of maturity.

We're done here.

Skerrako, out.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Amazing song and very powerful video.

Happy to see that it has over 130,000 views on MTV.com in less than 24 hours, with 100% approval rating from the viewers thus far.

Whether you like rap or not, I think we can all agree that the message is very powerful and if this is one way to bring more people into the fold and get them thinking, that's a good thing. Debating the merits of rap is best suited for a different topic.
edit on 29-4-2011 by ayoss because: Removed redundancy

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

theres a difference between listening to someone and hearing things you wanna hear
dont try and take the high ground on the internet haha

what a guy
what a stand up guy
everyone learn from this guys teachings, his teachings on defending rap music NO LESS.

lordy lordy i see the light!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Sigh, it's pretty obvious you didn't even listen to the video. You are confusing it with Lupe's other single, "The show goes on" which does sample Modest Mouse's "Float on." Hardly the first artist in the history of music to be inspired by another artist's work.

I encourage you to set aside your bias and at least read the lyrics. It's refreshing to see this kind of message out in the mainstream. Lupe is an amazing poet and lyricist, imho, and for the record, he does use live instruments at his concerts.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It's cool to see a pop star make a video like this but it's still a far cry from the likes of Immortal Technique.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HazyChestNutz

The other thread on this topic that was closed had a first post that was more... shall I say, "aggressive", with describing why the song was so "different" and why we should "check it out". It even included the lyrics so that we could see for ourselves before "checking it out". The OP here could have done better, but that's ok since the other OP probably just saw that this one just posted a youtube video and that's it, but that's ok.

Anyways, this is just an example of a rapper staying relevant. Unfortunately, the "artist" also tries to express what I assume to be his opinion on "current events". But that's not exactly the problem...

The problem is that he's put together a few well-thought lines of lyrics, and now seeks to cash in on it because it's relevant and because he "said something about something". Yeah, well, you could probably download the video+lyrics+mp3 for free and play it all on your iphone, but, it still feels a little cheesy.

My final gripe is that he "said something", but he completely left out the aliens... How can you possibly talk conspiracy theory without even thinking about the aliens??

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientmustytext

I always hear people mention Immortal Technique when it comes to politically aware / conspiracy rap. it seems he is the best known underground artist when it comes to hiphop with this type of subject matter. I have to say I didn't know if I liked Lupe Fiasco when I first heard of him but these lyrics are provocative. If you read ATS regularly & you like hiphop, you will probably like the following artists:
Canibus
Presto
Sick Since
Beast 1333
Chino XL
Lost children of Babylon
Prince Ea
Vinnie Paz
K Rino
KRS One
& my favorite conspiracy related rap record
j Muggs VS. Sick Jacken: Legend of the mask & the assassin
There are a ton of others out there to discover & I'd like to know what you guys listen to as well. I know some people don't care for rap because they don't respect electronically produced music or acknowledge it's validity as an art form because they don't sing their lyrics, but take the time to consider most pop/rap singles DO include singing on the chorus and it's usually a live recording, not a sample. Many of these artist also use live bands & instruments when they perform. New forms of music have always incorporated a blending of styles and borrowing from older music and sampling and editing an older song that inspired you is no less valid or original than guitar playing. View the content of the lyrics and consider the complexity of the rhyming pattern. I can't convince you of something you're not ready to hear. The real point of this thread is the message being delivered through the music. If it can provoke thought or make the listener ask questions or learn something, while being entertaining at the same time, it deserves recognition.
youtu.be...
sorry I haven't learned how to embed here on ATS yet...
edit on 29-4-2011 by secretskull because: forgot the good stuff

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by secretskull

Agree 100% with all you said. Kinda happy to see someone else mention Prince Ea too, I bring him up from time to time for people who listen to the more conscious hip hop and often they haven't heard of him. But once they do, they are hooked (on his older stuff, anyway.)

I'd like to add Son of Saturn to your list. He puts all his tracks on YouTube for free, his voice isn't the best (not as annoying as Canibus' tho), but his subject matter is very relevent to ATS:

There's no point in trying to persuade someone to like rap who doesn't, just like there's no point in trying to get someone to listen to screamo or try to change someone's soda preferences. But either way I think we can all agree that hip hop is one medium that help point people in the right direction... just like ATS is one medium and Alex Jones is one medium as well. Everything's going to have it's pro's and con's but all in all I think we have more in common than sets us apart.
edit on 30-4-2011 by ayoss because: mangled up some bbcode

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

typical response
listen to what youre telling me? hahaha yeah dont think so buddy
i dont listen to anyone, when theyre TELLING me. who do you think you are?

so im not allowed to have a go at the song but you can have a go at me?
dont make a thread about one song if u dont want to hear somethings going against it

Yes you aren't allowed. Get out please. Seriously dude this isn't about your holy war against rap. HAHA

It's about the lyrics. Did you even pay attention to the message of the song? That video is deep dude. Took me three watches to see all there is to be seen.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

what a guy
what a stand up guy
everyone learn from this guys teachings, his teachings on defending rap music NO LESS.

lordy lordy i see the light!

Im adding you as a foe right now. That is the most ignorant troll comment I have ever seen on ATS.

Take a step back bro and listen to the lyrics as I said in the comment above.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join