It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. companies bypassed in India fighter jet deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
washingtonpost.com

There are a couple of things in this article that I would like to point out that I thought was interesting. Many are focused on the up and coming China, but China is also in competition with India.
I find it interesting that India is so quickly trying to builde a larger and newer military.

According to a recent report by the consulting firm KPMG and the American Chamber of Commerce, about half a dozen American companies are eyeing an estimated $112 billion in opportunities as India goes on a buying spree to modernize its armed forces by 2016. India also plans to induct its first indigenously developed light combat aircraft, called the Tejas, into its air force in 2015

But commercial contracts worth billions of dollars that were expected to arise out of the landmark nuclear deal signed in 2008 have yet to materialize, because of disagreement over India’s restrictive domestic nuclear liability law and bureaucratic delays in mandatory assurances that Indian companies will not export American nuclear technology to other countries.

I don't think it is unreasonable for any contractor to request that weapons should not be sold to anyone else. That is how most dictators get armed, by buying distributed arms.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Ideally, Yes. The manufacturer has all the rights to restrict re-sale of their equipment and transfer of technology to dictators.

However we all know what the sad reality is as per who is really selling the arms to the REBELS and MILITIAS and DICTATORS in the black market

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
What interest me is the political pressure the US put on fair and open competition. India wants to buy a new jet, it holds a competition, the winner is not a US jet, America sulks, starts saying things about political support and hinting other areas where they may not play ball becuase they didnt get the jet contract. Kind of blackmail, infact, it is exactly blackmail, so blackmail is fine, but alledged back handers are not.

In fact, less than 10 years ago America banned selling Military Technology to India, not sure when/why they lifted it.

And of course you have to restrict on sales and technology transfers, just because you let an ally like india have it, doesnt mean you are happy for them to sell it to their friends in Argentina (for example). But yet again America gets it totally wrong with their ITAR. Unbeleivable when you look at who they armed over the years, I like the section in Bowling for Columbine, wish there was a youtube clip where is goes through who america armed and backed and how messed up it became.

No i am not anti america, I like the fact they can be relied upon to help out and lead the way and put boots on the ground when others dont dare, but the secrecy and hypocracy and double standards of a super power annoys me and reminds me of the big kid at school whohas everything but has hissy fits when they arent the first to see something.

new topics

join