It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Feel Good Thread: New Leash on Life: Dogs being trained by prison Inmates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I have had the opportunity to see this program first hand. Here in NC, its called New Leash on Life, its a program between the Dept of Corrections and the Humane Society of North Carolina. What happens is the humane society takes certain dogs, and takes them to the various prisons that have the program, and the inmates train these dogs in basic obedience. The inmate bonds with that dog for the 8 weeks it is trained then it goes to a family that adopts it.
This is a wonderful program, as it changes the inmate. They become more open, caring and compassionate, and as the woman says in the second video, recidivism is 6% compared to 30% in a general population inmate.
If youre planning on adopting a dog in the future, PLEASE consider a New Leash on Life dog. I am myself hoping to get a Golden Retriever thru the program.

Here are a few videos from various New Leash programs across the USA.

This video is from the NCDOC New Leash on Life Program:

Juvenile Offenders:

Other related videos

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What a great program.
I could only watch the short vids coz of bad net connection,but that is a great way to help both the prisoners and the dogs.
Dogs usually help IMO.
They are humans best friend in ways we cannot yet fathom IMO.

Good thread.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What a great idea, its a perfect combination. So obvious when you think about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

We are doing this in Washington State as well. While there are for obvious reasons very strict requirements the inmate must meet to participate, even those that do not qualify for the program benefit. The participants are allowed to keep the dog in their cell at night, if fact the dogs stay in the living units so basically while the care of the dog is the responsibility of the primary handler and the assistant handler all the inmates are around them. The program is hugely successful and does help keep the violence down. We are looking at expanding it into every living unit possible statewide. It's win/win for everybody. I love the program anything that makes the job easier and has the added benefit of reducing the numbers coming back gets a big thumbs up from me.

We are also looking at allowing the inmates to adopt cats as well. Studies have proven time and again being around animals is beneficial. Love these programs.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
We have been getting dogs to help us in old folks homes in Wales in a similar manner for a while now.
They just love being around the old folks who stroke them and talk to them.

Its a mutually positive experience for the dogs and old folks.

No reason why this should not be the case where prisoners are concerned.
What a great program,the dogs get to live and be trained,and the inmates learn new skills which will help them way beyond dealing with animals IMO.

I hope many of they folks get a dog and treat it well after they get out of prison.

It takes all 3 parts to make a good dog:Good owner,good dog,good training.
And love helps obviously.
OK thats 4 parts.

top topics

join