It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to deal with people who have an inflated ego.................?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I found this question posted in many different places because I have a certain VP at work that has this issue. I deal with it in my own way and based on the answer that was given I am seemingly on the right track.

So I decided to share it with BTS in the event that there are people in your life that are plagued with this same unbecoming issue. The answer that I found most similar to the way I handle it, and have handled it in the past is this:

Inflate it more to explode the E..........G..........O into many pieces.

In other words, I interpret that as: Kill them with kindness!

So far, the results of which are usually met with a look of bewilderment and the body language is interpreted as:

"Why do my powers not work on this one?" ...in which I usually walk away with a piece of that persons now "exploded" E G O to add to my own humbled ego. However, my ego is rationed out accordingly, as should everyone's in this world.

Just a friendly post for your reading pleasure.

Respectfully,
UberL33t

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hmm...I find that boosting these egomaniacs just makes it worse. That's like an egogasm to them. oO

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Initially I did too, however, this E G O bomb if you will, needs a steady supply of fuel in order to eventually explode. Keep pouring on the fuel (kindness), and soon enough...

BOOM!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I find that i naturally Keep pumping it up,then i burst when i feel like it,end of chat..but ya can always tell them to have a smoke or a beer.If not then its just natural grumpy genetics coming lol..

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

If you are happy to have volatile and frustrating relationships with them then challenge their ego.

As a well balanced individual I have found that challenging a giant ego in any way is so utterly draining to the soul that it is not worthwhile.

If you can operate happily amidst the friction challenging a boundless ego will result in by all means do so.

I have dealt with people like this and in the name of peace I had to stop challenging them in any way.
I compensated for this by laughing about their massive ego with others who have come to the same conclusion

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Exactly...that's how you win against massive egos...you don't take them seriously. They'll go apesh!t...then you laugh some more.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Interesting read - thank you...
At some level I have no doubt you're right. There's not much anything or anyone can do when you continually bombard them with kindness. Actually a pretty cool thought when you think about it. WE give them hate, it only rebounds on us... Give them kindness - wow - that's all good.

Great thread!

(And no, that was not to inflate your ego, hehehe)

hugs and peace

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'd offer him a breath mint, pause and then tell him go ahead and keep the whole roll. Maybe add a little cough as you do so.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
As someone who comes across quite often as an Inflated Ego myself
(on my bad days :duh

is it possible this Other Inflated Ego is misunderstood?
Also, killing me with kindness would never work...
The most effective way of dealing with me in general is to ignore me completely when I'm power-tripping or just generally riding roughshod over everybody else in the workplace etc.
It doesn't get my goat, it gains my respect and force me to proceed with caution around the people standing their ground against me.
This eventually meekens my spirit/ Ego and creates a much nicer environment.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

I don't feel that your ego is as inflated as you think if I may be so bold to say. Usually, at least in my experience, that is ultimately what they want is for you to ignore them, as you are beneath them and this would be a plus as they then wouldn't be required to interact with you. Killing them with kindness with a constant barrage of sorts, I've found gives them no choice but to have to interact.

This works even better when other people are around, because they will do anything to maintain the illusion that they are awesome in every way, even if they do have to mingle with what they deem as otherwise unworthy people to maintain their usually translucent image. I could be wrong about you specifically, nevertheless, killing with kindness has yet to falter when I chose the tactic as a defense against an inflated ego.

There is a difference in being confident and having an inflated ego. Generally the person with the inflated ego will claim this is all it is, confidence.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Just punch em in the face.
Hard to have an inflated ego with a bloodied face and teary eyed.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

In a perfect world of course

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Of course

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The goal shouldn't be to make the ego balloon pop, but inflate the ego balloon so much that either my its own pressure it explodes, or as soon as something goes wrong it all goes to hell. Subterfuge!

If you like seeing someone else in ruin you get 2(+) times the investment back.
edit on 5/3/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Exploit their ignorance with seemingly innocent statements that aren't directed towards them. Nothing is better than making a "know it all" rethink their position without saying a word to them.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure about killing a persons ego with kindness,especially an insincere kindness.

I know very manipulative people who operate this way, being insincerely kind, and throwing out lil barbs of sarcasm hidden under benevolent sounding statements.

I have more respect for the person ,with the inflated ego,then the dangerously manipulative people, with the seemingly kind words,but carry the dagger behind their backs.

I my opinion, they are much worse,and far more harmful to all , than the egomaniac.
edit on 17-5-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i honestly try not to let it get underneath my skin. inflated ego=insecurity. my brother has this and i either avoid him or nod silently when he talks.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

edit on 27-12-2011 by redstorm because: Information & understanding.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by prodigiousflames

I would have and had keep quiet also as my brother was scolded by his mother. His arrogance tends to cloud his "common sense/logic". Tonight, a break-through has been made --- "kind" words of hope. And he actually listened.
edit on 2011-12-28 by pikypiky because: To correct for thought-errors.

new topics

top topics

join