It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

If they try to draft me I'll point to the 13th amendment and tell them indentured servitude and military slavery was outlawed years ago

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by scghst1

When I turned 18, i got the same letter in the mail. I didn't sign up and would not have if I didnt decide to go to college this fall, as I needed it to get unemployment insurance (NY state) and to get Financial Aid. The good part is that I too have an exemption, I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder on more than one occasion by more than one doctor, along with Borderline Personality Disorder. I don't think they would really choose you over someone who has absolutely no problems at all unless there was a serious war outbreak closer to home. If your going to college and need financial aid.. unfortunately you do have to sign up. No way getting around it.

So you'll accept government money from taxpayers in the form of unemployment or financial aid, but you won't serve. That, sir, is hypocrisy shown at its finest.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Apologies if this has been pointed out but this is how a draft would work if it were to be.people.howstuffworks.com... It is good stuff to know.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You can become a registered Quaker, I think they are exempt.......not sure.
Personally, if I were your age I would move to another country. Canada, while cold seems like a good choice, they're friendly, have good health care and the two Canadians I know are happy in BC.

Good luck, I feel the military machine in America will never be dismantled and only poor men's sons and daughters die in war...........the rich kids (like Bush Jr.) somehow mostly never get sent to the front lines.

And America likes to make war because we are a country run by the large corporations that are expanding and trying to bully other countries out of their resources.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41e1daf6ed81.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
join the french foreign legion, thattle fixem

it doesn't matter if you sign it or not, they got ur number

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

You want to live here and have freedoms do it. If you dont want to sign it, dont. Then keep your mouth shut and dont whine about how things are. Or you could move to some hole-in-the-wall third world country where you can be happy.

Grow-Up

U.S. ARMY - Sgt.
Army National Guard - Sgt
Served my country proudly.

May not agree with everything all the time but I did my part and am still doing what I can to make it better.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I signed mine back in 1966, was given a 1-A classification for my high school graduation gift.
I appealed as a CO and was denied over eight months.
Was rebuked by the selective service board, was refused to be able to see my file time and time again.

Was physically thrown out of the Appeals Agents office after waiting two weeks for a meeting.

Was threatened by the head of the Selective Service in my state and was dared by him to refuse. But I could call him at the last minute and be put in the navy, so he said.

The day before my induction, Washington sent a telegram to my Selective Service Office postponing my Induction.

I was Inducted the next day, they had torn up the telegram and thrown it away.

I went thru my pre- induction and four months later showed up for my induction.
Just before going thru the ceremony of induction, I was taken to a private room and reamed by some military brass, who eventually threatened to take away my Eagle Scout Award, As if they had the right.

I refused to step forward and raise my right hand.

Was sentenced to five years!

The only problem is, I'm a felon, and proud of it, and because I refused to kill another human being, I can't own a gun.

If you don't stand up for your beliefs, what good are they?

edit on 28-4-2011 by herenow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightbreed67

H**l Yeah, well said. What would happen if god forbid in the middle of the night an invading army came to your home for you and your family.......just saying. I agree that I may not be in agreement with the government all the time but I'm forever in agreement with my country. The chances of a draft are slim, I'd be recalled before you were drafted.

ANG
107th Air Med

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

If they try to draft me I'll point to the 13th amendment and tell them indentured servitude and military slavery was outlawed years ago

the drill sgt will smile and tell you to get your ass off of the bus! haha

edit on 4/28/2011 by Irish614 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightbreed67

Thank you for your service.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

edit on 4/28/2011 by Irish614 because: double post

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
So OP , you want everything you can get out of the system from financial aid for education to a cush government job and maybe like some , unemployment insurance , welfare if it doesn't work out , bleed the country for your own benefit but never give anything back .You know what , send them a registered letter and tell them to stick the cush government job , the financial aid , unemployment insurance and welfare where the sun doesn't shine because you're opting out and won't sign your selective service registration to prove it .

You posted what I was going to post, although a little more eloquently than I would have. Good thing I read the thread before I replied.

Sign it the letter or don't ask for benefits.

This thread is pointless.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Please don't give your life for TPTB.....They think of you and I as a dog, a mongrel...Do a search and just see how many senators and congressman children are in the military.....1 or 2 if that many.......Don't die for them...You are better than this......We all are......

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Sorry for the one liner Im about to post...

But do yourself a favor... throw that piece of paper in a fire pit.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

I see three things you can do.

Run, Run and Run.

Come on you said yourself you have a way out of going to war. I don't see the problemo !

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Ahmose

I see three things you can do.

Run, Run and Run.

Come on you said yourself you have a way out of going to war. I don't see the problemo !

What?

why should one run when they've done nothing wrong to run from?
F that.

Also, I didn't say anything about 'going to war'.
Unless you were talking to OP.

Things get 'lost ' in the mail all the time..
in fact..
I believe that is what happened to mine when I was 17. lol

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by herenow

Good job brother.

Well done. Well said.
Thanks!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

only poor men's sons and daughters die in war...........the rich kids (like Bush Jr.) somehow mostly never get sent to the front lines.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41e1daf6ed81.jpg[/atsimg]

What year are you living in? All personnel in the Armed forces right now volunteered to join, no a single person was drafted in. There are no "front lines" in the wars we are in, sorry to say but every one of us (military) has the same chance of dying.

As for you mossme89, just sign the thing and forget about it. This country has enough Patriots to defend it, we don't need the draft anymore so don't worry. Just my opinion.
edit on 28-4-2011 by NoClue206 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Where did you get that number from? How about you look up how many are vets.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bd75c13c57b.jpg[/atsimg]

True story.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join