It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got my letter for the Selective Service today. What should i do?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahon
Many letters and documents go missing while in transit via US Postal Service.

Are you sure you really got the letter? Because I thought you said you were still
waiting for it to arrive.

I got mine when I was 17 and didn't mail it back until about a year ago (3 years later), after receiving a bunch of "URGENT: blah blah" letters. Nothing happened other than receiving a bunch of annoying pieces of mail.

However, if you need to fill out a FAFSA then you really don't have much choice. I'm a white male with two parents who work, so... I wasn't getting any money from the State. I wouldn't worry about a draft to be honest, because if one goes through to support another undeclared, unjust war I think folks may get a little ticked off.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Why do only men have to sign this?
Do females have to sign up for anything if they want study loans or unemployment benefits?
This should be fought on the grounds of gender discrimination.
Why should one gender sacrifice itself for both?

I wonder what gay men did before Obama changed the law, did they also have to sign although they couldn't openly "serve"?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

sign it but as one that does not wish to kill, for there are plenty that sever and server well, that have never killed no one, what am i talking about read this www.scn.org... from the link

Who is a Conscientious Objector?

The government has the power to make people fight a war. But many young men and women have serious questions about whether it is right to take part in war. That may mean that they are conscientious objectors. They may not know the term, or that there is such a thing as conscientious objection to war.

Fortunately, there is a long tradition that is getting stronger as people with all kinds of backgrounds share the conviction that war is wrong. The Constitution gives the government the power to raise an army and people can be drafted to fight. But, there is an established right to conscientious objection dating from before the Constitution which has been recognized during the periods that people were forced into the military.

Often the beliefs of these objectors to war are well thought out, showing study and detailed knowledge. Sometimes their convictions are simple and uncomplicated. Many have their beliefs as part of their religion. Others have come to their beliefs on their own.

They all have a right to have these beliefs in opposition to war and should be supported in them. They are conscientious objectors (COs) whether or not the government says so.

Once people hear about conscientious objection, they want to know what is necessary to qualify as a CO with the government. That process is sometimes hard. The rules are fairly specific (but not always fair). However, if COs are properly prepared, NISBCO believes they will be recognized.
now there are plenty of MOS that would not put you in harms way nor cause harm to any one. yes there are good paying gov jobs and it sad to say that is the only jobs that will be when you are my age, i'm 45. if i had to do it over i would have stayed in. Not resigned. And then there is the story of this man desmonddoss.com... he was a CO. you should take the time to check it out. be brave be safe be smart.

edit on 28-4-2011 by bekod because: added info. and word edit. added link

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I just wrote “under duress” on mine, they never responded back to that either, hopefully they got the point. I made them wait too, couple months. But I had to go to college so…

I don’t want their damn student aid, social security, Medicare/Medicaid, or any of that crap. But I had to sign it because I also don’t want to work at McDonald’s the rest of my life, go to prison for 5 years, and/or pay a $250,000 fine.

Isn’t it just grand that you turn 18 and they begin your adulthood by holding a gun to your head? Government is just grand, is it not?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Is this something new? I never recieved any type of letter like this. I got collge loans. Is this only for males or people that fit a certian profile. I never remember my male cousins mentioning this.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

When the current iteration of Selective Service was instated in 1980, Women were not allowed in combat roles. If there was no way to use woman recruits, there was no need to draft them.

From the SSS website:

In the legislative history for the Department of Defense Authorization Act, 1981, the Senate Armed Services Committee report stated that the primary reason for not expanding registration to include women was DOD’s policy of not using women in combat. Additional reasons cited in the report included agreement by both civilian and military leadership that there was no military need to draft women and congressional concerns about the societal impact of the registration and possible induction of women.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Unless the letter came registered to you and, you a lone signed for the letter than you don't have to sign anything. They aren't going to come after you for not signing. Even if they did try to come after you for some insane reason, you can always say you never got the letter, what proof do they have that you ever got it? I know a few people that do that with jury duty letters lol.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
A draft is highly unlikely.. For now...
But ya gota sign it... Sign it for your country, not for the Gov.

*edit* Just sign it, and at any time it looks like a draft is imminent, join the airforce or navy.. You will get a poge job.

U.S. Army 03-06
B CO 1/16 Infantry

Deebo
edit on 28-4-2011 by Deebo because: add

edit on 28-4-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

sign for your country, but fight for your government. that's your advice. last time i checked, america is a free country.

if you don't want to sign it, throw it in the garbage were it belongs and tell people like bush and kissinger that if they want to invade another country for oil, to grab a gun, a helmet and do it themselves.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SerenityGained

Of course it's normal. It's also the law. Men turning 18 must register with Selective Service. They are not joining the military, as some seem to believe. The US does not have a draft at the current time, but Selective Service registration is required in case a draft should ever be necessary. It the OP does not register, he is breaking the law and can be arrested, fined and/or jailed.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

There is no draft and registering is the law....better fill it out and get it in...or move out of the US

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Those guys bugged the Hell out of me in college. From your tone, maybe you should just do what I did. Ignore them, no matter what they say. I remember my brother taking a placement test for the military, whatever it was he ended up scoring something that said he should be a submarine captain. He had a hard time shaking representatives off him.
edit on 28-4-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I never sent mine in, because I never got it.
We moved away, & my grandma apparently got it(postman knew she lived 3 blocks away) & never sent it to my mother.
Thats about the extent of what I remember about it.

I was a rowdy child, partyin' all the time. As soon as I turned 18 I was locked up for one stupid thing after another.
After finally pulling my head out of my a$$ a few years later, I moved on & became a productive member of society.

Never had thought about that again, until...

Back in 2001, I received a phone call telling me that I never signed up for the selective service.
I was actually shocked that they would look for me or had found me(my phone #), after I had just turned 36.
Yes, exactly 18 years later...
I had to lie when asked again(I was allmost stuttering because I was so taken back about actually getting this call) & told them that I signed it & turned it in when I was 18. She said they didn't have it, & I just kept saying I did it, & even said, "why wouldn't I, it's the law" & "send it to me now & I'll sign it again" & stuff like that.
I never have heard from them again...I still have the same phone number...

I have never used fed money for anything. Never wanted to. So I guess I slipped through the cracks, again.(seems I fell through a lot of cracks back in the day)

Anyways,
I have often wanted to defend my country when we get into certain skirmishes around the world.
But, I allways knew that I would never have been a good candidate for the service. There is just no way I would ever let people treat me like they do in the service. Could never handle authority...

So, my best answer to you is this:
Sign it kid...
Go to college...
I highly doubt the draft will ever happen again...

Good luck!!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
As an American I find nothing wrong with having to sign it. Other countries make you serve a minimum 2 years in the military I believe? Or possibly longer. So you get called in the draft for the next World War, so what? Serve your country, don't take the freedoms you have now for granted. Sure everyone wants freedom and all that comes with it, but nobody these days wants to have to fight to get it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
People have been signing up for selective service at the age of 18 for decades. Welcome to your Adulthood. I am almost 40 and I remember the day I signed, which was done at the post office. It is the law and that is just how it is. I am sure you father did the same thing.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KoiLahood
sign it pussy

Think again. Which takes more guts? Signing the paper, or refusing to sign it?

I'd like to add that if anyone is in New Hampshire and they publicly refuse to sign the paper, I'd be willing to bet they'll have at least 30 Free State Project members being there in support at the trial, and of course the 12 Free State Project legislators bringing up the issue in the NH state assembly. The point is public disobedience would be IMO the best option IF you are in New Hampshire. NH is a state where FSP members protect people from state bullies to the maximum degree they can.

The way the US government breaks their own laws should be deeply disturbing for people. Forcing someone to sign a contract is unacceptable. Hypocrisy is simply not an acceptable form of government, and therefore all people getting selective service documents should rip them up on camera, post it on Youtube, and loudly tell the US feds their bullying won't be accepted, when at all realistically possible.
edit on 28-4-2011 by civilchallenger because: added in paragraph

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If I were a man I would refuse to sign it. It is ridculous! I am glad that I am 36 years old and a woman. TPTB can't force me into their made up wars. The wars back in the old days like the revolutionary war,civil war and even WW2 were different they had to be fought unforunately but our new wars are just pointless!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The defense of the nation is one of the few things the federal government does today that is actually authorized by the Constitution.

Obviously you must have an army to defend the nation with. And an army needs soldiers. It is this requirement that resulted in the draft. The Constitutional duty to defend the nation is the reason every court to consider it has found the draft legal.

You don't get a choice as to which wars you deign to serve in. If our duly elected representatives have decided the use of military force is in the nations interest, and there is a draft, you go where you are told.

If you don't like that then work to change our elected representatives or move.

Not registering is a federal felony. While it's seldom enforced you can be sentenced for up to 5 years in prison and fined $250,000.

Since there is no draft right now and not likely to be one any time soon it seems to me registering makes much more sense than not.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
The wars back in the old days like the revolutionary war,civil war and even WW2 were different they had to be fought unforunately but our new wars are just pointless!

I disagree. The only wars worthy of fighting are wars of independence. Its the whole concept of a defensive army instead of an offensive army. You only are justified to fight when there is a risk someone is going to invade you and take you over... the whole concept of self-defense. WW2 could have easily been avoided since the USA prodded the Japanese with wrongful economic policies. Avoiding the civil war would have been a piece of cake... an absolute cakewalk. The south was willing to phase out slavery slowly over time.

If people want to assist South Korea against the north, then they can spend their own money and put together a militia to help them out. If they are not willing to do that, then the fact of the matter is that they are liars when they say their heart bleeds out for South Korea... its really just a passing thought they have that I'm not interested in being forced at gun point into supporting. I would gladly do quite a bit to help South Korea against North Korea, but I would not sacrifice my life for South Korea. But no doubt there are people out there who have no problem sacrificing my life against my will for the cause.

It needs to be up to the individual which wars to fight and which wars to support. I now minimize my taxes because I do not wish to support the Iraq war. Things like involuntary taxes and that Selective Service contract are acts of violence that need to be stopped.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
So OP , you want everything you can get out of the system from financial aid for education to a cush government job and maybe like some , unemployment insurance , welfare if it doesn't work out , bleed the country for your own benefit but never give anything back .You know what , send them a registered letter and tell them to stick the cush government job , the financial aid , unemployment insurance and welfare where the sun doesn't shine because you're opting out and won't sign your selective service registration to prove it .

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
So OP , you want everything you can get out of the system from financial aid for education to a cush government job and maybe like some , unemployment insurance , welfare if it doesn't work out , bleed the country for your own benefit but never give anything back .You know what , send them a registered letter and tell them to stick the cush government job , the financial aid , unemployment insurance and welfare where the sun doesn't shine because you're opting out and won't sign your selective service registration to prove it .
Man,I gotta say...You have a way with words

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join