It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Tornadoes Hit Alabama, Missouri, April 27, 2011 (videos)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I just got power back last night at 11:30, and Internet a little while ago. The whole northern part of the state has been declared a disaster area. Some of the hardest hit areas around me include Madison, Arab, Guntersville, Pisgah, Rainsville, and Harvest.

In Rainsville, an entire subdivision was removed from existence. You can barely tell where there used to be a foundation for a house. 34 deaths in that subdivision alone. They say the rescuers were having to retrieve bodies from treetops.

People in my area are finding rubbish from all over Alabama,and some from Mississippi.

This is the worst weather disaster in history for this area. The closest was in 1932,when an EF-5 removed Paint Rock AL from existence... and that was a single tornado. I lost count before noon Wednesday as to how many there were this time.

I have posted my own personal account of the situation here if anyone is interested. I'll try to get pictures later on; we're still trying to patch ourselves back together.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I was worried when I started hearing about Rainsville. Then last night heard Henagar was hit but not sure how bad. Even Ider but no news. My son survived Trenton GA twice. I know those towns so well. It looks like it rode hwy 75 and hwy 11 in both towns. I still have friends missing. not sure if Tacobet flea market is still standing right at the top of the mtn where you drop off to hit the hwy to cross the bridge into Scottsboro.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'm in Harvest AL and Ive spent the last two days with Samaritan's Purse putting up temp roofing and cutting trees. The level of devastation is truly unreal. I've been going through areas where subdivisions and neighborhoods have simply ceased to exist. Helped a friend dig belongings out of a pile of rubble that used to be their home.

I know Alabama is butt of many jokes - but I've never been more proud toive here. The sense of community this area has displayed is unquestionably second to none. I'm humbled by this.

I'm pressed but not crushed, persecuted but not abandoned. I'm struck down but not destroyed. I'm blessed beyond all worth because his promise will endure, and His joy is going to be my strength.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cheri2012

As far as I know, Tacobet is still there. Sand Mountain did take a lot of damage overall, but as far as I know from word-of-mouth, the real damage is in Pisgah, Rainsville, and Rosalie. I do know there was a lot of damage also done from Flat Rock to Section.

If you know the area, you will remember those huge trees in the front of the NACC campus. They're gone. And the college is still closed with no power as of 12:30 PM today.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saracen2
We know how segregated America is, why don`t you ever see Obama, or any other president, visit the black towns that have been affected by storm damage?

During his April 29, 2011 visit to Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, President Obama visited Holt. Holt is a predominantly black town near the city of Tuscaloosa. President Obama also toured the Alberta area of the city of Tuscaloosa. Alberta is a large section of the city of Tuscaloosa and it is predominantly black. (It's almost like a town unto itself.) Both Holt and Alberta were almost entirely wiped out by the massive tornado.

I live in the area and have seen the damage in Holt (as well as the 15th Street area of Tuscaloosa) firsthand. It is horrifying and unbelievable. Mile after mile of rubble and trees snapped like twigs. In some cases, buildings are totally blown away with only a foundation or cement steps remaining. The line between total destruction and no damage to buildings and trees is sharp--most places are either destroyed or undamaged with little in-between.

The mayor of Tuscaloosa has been giving daily updates. Currently within the city limits, there are 39 officially confirmed dead and identified, over 1000 people were treated for injuries at the local hospital, and over 5000 buildings were damaged (most destroyed). AND, as of yesterday, the number of officially missing in Tuscaloosa is at 434. It was 570 on Saturday morning, but 234 people were removed from the list after their friends or relatives found them OK and many other names were added from new reports. Many of the 434 will hopefully turn up OK. Some are probably University of Alabama students who've gone home or to stay with friends and just haven't contacted all people who are worried about them. But, a lot of these people are either among the unidentified bodies (that number has not been released), still in the rubble, or blown away. That's hard to even think about, but these tornadoes blew away entire houses.
edit on 5/2/2011 by CarolynC because: Fix typo.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Hey there neighbor! Glad to see you are okay as well. I'm in the Harvest/Monrovia area so no power at home yet, but at least I have a home to go to. So many in our area are not so fortunate. I came to work today just so I'd have some power!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Oh, these two young men have no idea how lucky they are. Be sure to watch this video to the end. It is so sad to know that many thousands of people have stories like this lady, they just weren't captured on video and shared with the world.

These Alabama students, came closer to an F-5 tornado than I have ever seen.

I've cried very few times throughout this ordeal, but this brought out the tears. Just knowing so many of my fellow Alabamians and residents in neighboring states have the same stories... including my son's best friend's family.
[yvid]

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1curious1

Hey there neighbor! Glad to see you are okay as well. I'm in the Harvest/Monrovia area so no power at home yet, but at least I have a home to go to. So many in our area are not so fortunate. I came to work today just so I'd have some power!

Did you get power yet? I just did last night (Tue) at about 5pm. My work got power at the same time, so now instead of relief efforts, I'm going back to the grind.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
I just got power back last night at 11:30, and Internet a little while ago. The whole northern part of the state has been declared a disaster area. Some of the hardest hit areas around me include Madison, Arab, Guntersville, Pisgah, Rainsville, and Harvest.

In Rainsville, an entire subdivision was removed from existence. You can barely tell where there used to be a foundation for a house. 34 deaths in that subdivision alone. They say the rescuers were having to retrieve bodies from treetops.

People in my area are finding rubbish from all over Alabama,and some from Mississippi.

This is the worst weather disaster in history for this area. The closest was in 1932,when an EF-5 removed Paint Rock AL from existence... and that was a single tornado. I lost count before noon Wednesday as to how many there were this time.

I have posted my own personal account of the situation here if anyone is interested. I'll try to get pictures later on; we're still trying to patch ourselves back together.

TheRedneck

Thanks Redneck, Im happy you are doing fine now. Sooner or later life back to normal again.

All the best.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I am originally from AL and it breaks my heart to see the destruction. Tuscaloosa eerily reminds me of a wasteland. I used to live near Tuscaloosa and would shop at McFarland Mall. My daughter was born at DCH and from looking at the pictures I see it is still standing. My thoughts and prayers are with all that have lost their loved ones in this tragic storm.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

my best friend got his power on Sun afternoon. He said he got hit on the first wave. they did have a tornado in Boaz and they had not reported Joppa yet. But then it was Hulaco and Joppa. But found out definitely Higdon is real bad with some of Henegar and Sylvania which came from Rainsville. My best friend said it hit the huddle house direct hit, wiped it off the map and killed 5 employees instantly. very tragic.

His mom was hit on first round in Guntersville but lucky. A lot of trees down.

Pisgah and Flat Rock got totally missed. Call for help started Monday night as they nearly went a week with no help. But it is finally coming through!

Now on MS side they just upgraded one ef4 up to a ef5 to that now makes 2 on the same day in MS but now they have the MS river coming and flooding. so crazy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join