It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why did you join freemasonry ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
(1) I made no mention of "advertising" in the first instance, and it has no relevance to what you did quote from me.

Your claim seems to be that Masons in Ireland are not charitable, and you base that entirely on their reputation from outsiders; if so, the fact that Masonic charity is done privately is perfectly relevant.

(2) You again entirely misunderstood what I mean by percentages.

You'll have to explain where you think the other percentage of money went, then.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Thanks very much to the Masons participating in this thread. It's a shame so many folks prefer thinking about imaginary people to talking with real ones.

I happen to believe the Masons do have secrets they've managed to keep, but first of all, so what, and second of all, I rather suspect all this 'evil Mason' stuff is very, very funny to anyone who knows those secrets, if they exist. If they are anything more than a private club who adorn themselves with interesting occult symbols instead of sports logos and designer tags, from what I can tell, their agenda is not sinister. Not at all.

I have a few questions about the mundane social aspects.

Are there openly LGBT Masons, and if not, is it due to specific exclusion, or more that they don't really show up?

As a child, I took some classes in a building which had once been a Masonic temple. There were still indications of it everywhere, including a large Masonic "G" over the main stage. I was surprised to find these had not been removed, though other parts of the building had changed, and wonder if there is some prohibition against making certain alternations once the structure has been used for Masonic purposes?

Have you ever suspected a fellow member of being an infiltrator with ulterior purposes -- a conspiracy theorist or intelligence agent, for example? Or does the process pretty much guarantee that these would be weeded out?

Thank you for your time and contributions. And thank you especially for your volunteer service, which I wish people would commend the same way they do for those have served in the military.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
I happen to believe the Masons do have secrets they've managed to keep

Sadly, not really. Thirty seconds, Google, and an eye for what you're looking for for will get you everything. I guess it's kind of fortunate, though, that some of it is obscured by all the nonsense.

but first of all, so what, and second of all, I rather suspect all this 'evil Mason' stuff is very, very funny to anyone who knows those secrets, if they exist.

Anyone who's actually attended a lodge meeting knows for a fact that Freemasonry cannot be running the world.

Are there openly LGBT Masons

Yes, but not a whole lot.

and if not, is it due to specific exclusion, or more that they don't really show up?

The latter.

As a child, I took some classes in a building which had once been a Masonic temple. There were still indications of it everywhere, including a large Masonic "G" over the main stage. I was surprised to find these had not been removed, though other parts of the building had changed, and wonder if there is some prohibition against making certain alternations once the structure has been used for Masonic purposes?

If we don't own the building, we have no say in what they do with the adornment. It was probably just too hard to remove. The MTV Canada studio is formerly a Masonic building, and has the S&C in the brickwork in several places.

Have you ever suspected a fellow member of being an infiltrator with ulterior purposes -- a conspiracy theorist or intelligence agent, for example?

No. I have expected some of them as being more curious than genuinely interested, though.

Or does the process pretty much guarantee that these would be weeded out?

Not the process so much as Masonry itself; I think a conspiracy theorist would just get bored.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Are there openly LGBT Masons, and if not, is it due to specific exclusion, or more that they don't really show up?
As with most social things, some lodges are more tolerant than others. I did hear recently about some guys trying to kick out a member when he left his wife and realized that he was gay. There are prejudiced people in every organization I can think of, so I don't think that should be held against Masonry as a whole. Our lessons are that all men are equal, and toleration is an important virtue. I know in my city there are a handful of gay Masons, and while bigoted individuals may whisper stuff under their breath, to my knowledge it's never kept a member from holding office within the Masonic ranks in my state... (I know of at least one past Grand Master of the state, for instance...)

Have you ever suspected a fellow member of being an infiltrator with ulterior purposes -- a conspiracy theorist or intelligence agent, for example? Or does the process pretty much guarantee that these would be weeded out?
They usually quit on their own if they've made it that far once they realize there's nothing to support their whacked out beliefs. Or we take them out back and kill them. But that hasn't happened in a while, as far as I know.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I'm sure there are gay Masons (Lesbians are unlikely), but it's not something that would really be brought up in the context of the lodge, and certainly would not be a basis for rejection.

Not at all... in fact MTV Canada bought a lodge in Toronto and left the huge Square and Compasses up on the wall behind the stage. Locally we have an old beautiful lodge building that was purchased by a builder and remodeled into luxury apartments (called The Lodge on Hill) and the external emblems were left in place.

I think it might just be because it looks "cool" or something.

Thank you for your time and contributions. And thank you especially for your volunteer service, which I wish people would commend the same way they do for those have served in the military.

LOL! Even conspiracy theorists are admitted (me, for example). I was on ATS for years before joining Masonry. The only things that would disqualify someone are:

1 - Felony conviction

2 - Atheism

3 - A vagina

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

1 - Felony conviction

2 - Atheism

3 - A vagina

I'd also like to point out that, in order to be admitted a Free Mason, one must possess a moral character. Just because someone has not been convicted of a felony does not mean that they are of good moral character. Obviously, a felony conviction would raise red flags, but so would many other things.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
****** ATTENTION ********

The topic of the this thread is "Why Did You Join Freemasonry?".

Please keep your comments to this topic, and not a debate of each other.

Thank you.
edit on 8/5/11 by argentus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join