It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Animals 'Pets' Deemed 'Insulting'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

Companion turtle is pissed at you.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I propose we call "political correctness" "political bull#" from this point forward. To call it correct is to insult all correct things.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Dude Pokey loves me. He has his own room with a little pool and a never ending supply of food.He's just eccentric.

edit on 28-4-2011 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I second that motion, do we have a third.

PC is just "pure crap".

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Third nuff said

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I don't think it's insulting to call them pets.

But I don't like being known as the "owner" of my dog. She is simply my friend, and I have chosen to look after her.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

I have a little 13 year old cockatiel called Bronny. Bronny started out as Charles Bronson, but CB started to lay eggs.(strange thing for boys to do) I mostly call her darling or little girl, & when she hears me arrive home from work she tweets like crazy. She hates everyone but me. Even my own children cannot walk past her cage without her threatening to bite them. Yet she loves me to simply scratch behind her head.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I notice the term owner will still apply in legal terms.

No officer I am not the dog's owner, I am his companion, so don't blame me for him sh#tting on the grass. If you have a problem with that, you can tell him to pick it up.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I got a cockatiel when i was eight.I don't know how old he was when i got him but now im 28 and he's still kicking.He doesn't like anyone but my wife and I.She recently got his wings clipped and now he doesn't like her as much.I think it's wrong to clip the wings but the warm weather is coming and he has a habit of flying into ceiling fans.
Call him what you want just don't clip his wings.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
My dog is not my pet and i am not his owner, we are friends ... thats how i consider her

Thats how elationships between pets and owners should be.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

From your article quote:

The call comes from the Journal of Animal Ethics, a new academic publication, edited by the Rev Professor Andrew Linzey, director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics.

That is what it is all about. A new magazine using some preposterous BS to get free press to drive circulation.

Ignore them. No one is a bigger dog lover then me. And i call my little girls "pets", as well as "friends".

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
These people REALLY wouldn't like what I call my dogs!
When Jaia was a puppy, all he did was eat, sleep and poop. He was a poop machine. So that's what I called him. Except the word I used wasn't "poop". "C'mere, ya little 'poop' machine"! (Form the Jay and Silent Bob movie)

Why is "pet" any more offensive than "animal companion"? I thought they meant the same thing... These people (and animal activists in general) need to get out and find an interest in life that doesn't involve telling other people how to live or what words to use.

My animals are treated like royalty here. They have the highest quality food, excellent vet care, they get raw meat and bones, sleep on memory foam beds and have their own couch. Calling them "companions" isn't going to change a thing.

If people hear me say 'pet' and think that means that they can treat animals badly... that's THEIR issue, not mine. If they abuse animals because they think 'pet' is "insulting" and gives them leeway to do so... I can't help them.

Let them call their animals whatever they like and I'll call mine critters, pets, kids and 'poop' machines.

I just asked Jaia and he assures me that "pet" isn't insulting to him at all. He likes it.

edit on 4/28/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Our dogs are more "fur kids" than pets. Just ask them.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
always had a hard time using the terms pet and master with my cat, i tend to stick with the term friend.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

i say mean things to my dogs. not in a mean voice, though. like sasha...i talk to her a lot (she is my sidekick). "What are you doing, stupid?" She doesn't know what stupid means literally, and i am using it as more of a trash talking term of endearment (like when my best friend calls and asks "What's up, fata**?", even though he outweighs me by 50 lbs).

If they want to control public perception, stop with the silly antics and approach the public honestly. Some of us work to find placement for rescues, or drive spay/neuters in our town (i am working to get a voucher program set up for free spay/neuter). Get more people informed and involved. That is how you make real change.

However, with the current times Mazlow may control the situation. People are less inclined to worry about animals when they are losing standard of living.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
i say mean things to my dogs. not in a mean voice, though.

Exactly. Dogs don't understand the actual meanings of the endearment terms we use for them. They don't have an English to Canine translation booklet. What they do understand are tone of voice, body language and energy. That's how a dog talks.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Just hope that the animals don't end up with equal rights & run a spay drive on us humans.

Imagine the look of glee from revenge of all those pissed of pets thinking your turn you betraying bastard.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't believe animals should be used for entertainment, so I partially agree. However, calling people you disagree over something with 'losers' and 'SMEG HEADS' is pretty juvenile.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Oh for #'s sake!

Those animals love us - they don't care what they are called - they only care for kindness and food.

Please tell me these people are not paid for that dumb research!

Oh but they are paid for this nonsensical research.... and what's worse is, that likely in half the cases of research like this crap, by tax dollars.

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous piece of garbage science and research....

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I couldnt resist making this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01d9c4d352b5.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join