It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Name Correctness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Negro. Black. Now African American. Hispanic. Latino. Now Mexican (or Cuban or Puerto Rican) American. Only in the newest textbooks of schools are white termed, Caucasian Americans, or European Americans. Call someone a negro, or hispanic, and tempers will flare. Why? These are non-derogatory terms, yet they are still incorrect. Are Americans living in Europe called American Europeans?

The time has come that we are either Americans or nothing. Teddy said it best. So what are we going to do? Maybe we are still racially separated because that is what we still want. Maybe not. So why has the UK learned to live as one with one culture? If you called me negro or black, I wouldn't care. Just don't call me African American. I wasn't born in Africa, neither were my parents...nor my grandparents. My cousin's family in the UK has never faced the problem. They are British. Period. So where do we go from here?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by truthorlies

I'd rather just call you a human being. I don't care what colour you are or what flag you think represents you. You are a human being and that's all that matters.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

truthorlies,

You make a totally valid point.

Personally, I find "political correctness" to be unto itself "politically incorrect".

Think about it!

If I say to someone "you suck because you belong to the KKK" due to political correctness, doesn't that defeat the purpose? Why would one person state another person's belief is incorrect because they were acting in an intolerant manner. Wouldn't calling someone out for these reasons show the very same intolerance?

Perhaps I used a poor example (trust me, I'm not a member of the KKK).

Still...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Quite a complex issue you raised here, mate.
It's not all roses in the UK, we still have our share of wank3rs like the EDL and bnp.

Our forms also have categories for such origins as white British, black Caribbean, Irish traveller etc.

The whole point of these forms is to protect the organisations from charges of racism, not because they care, just because they want evidence of fair treatment if they're accused of favoritism.

In general though, most folks are colourblind, maybe its something to do with the recent history of segregation in the US?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I think its sad how people think terms for different groups of people are offense even though it could be the technical term for them.

Political correctness is nothing but a toll to shut people up and to keep us all quiet and be good slaves so i will call anyone anything i wish.

top topics

join