It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storms kill 77 around South, including 61 in Ala.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Storms kill 77 around South, including 61 in Ala.

www.chron.com

Some 61 people died in Alabama alone, including 15 in Tuscaloosa when a massive tornado barreled through the area. Sections of the city that's home to the University of Alabama have been destroyed, the mayor said, and the city's infrastructure was devastated.
Farther north, a nuclear power plant west of Huntsville lost power and was operating on diesel generators. In Mississippi, 11 deaths were reported, four people were killed in Georgia and one in Tennessee.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
edit on 28-4-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
as of about 30 minutes ago, it was revealed that a nuke plant just west of huntsville was still operating on a diesel generator after a mile, to half mile wide tornado tore through Tuscaloosa, Al.

this cell that i'm watching has and is presently wreaking havoc across georgia with Vipir radar showing high winds or possibly Tornados hitting the south metro area of Atlanta (Hampton, Georgia), to north georgia.

hopefully they'll get the huntville plant back online....Goodness knows the world doesnt need another plant going bonkers.

stay safe, stay posted US southerners.

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ahmonrarh

My god, what's going on in the world??

Anyone that comes on and posts that all this wild weather and seismic activity is normal is plain crazy...

I hope the people stay safe..

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
i live in cherokee county ga. the counties around us got slammed pretty hard, but only north cherokee got hit with tornadoes and its sparsely populated. even so just going outside and seeing the amount of lightning strikes and wind and the sirens going off every 15 minutes was creepy. i was able to see one of the funnel clouds. i have seen worse around here but not this frequently...its definitely odd...i feel bad for all the victims of the storm

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Georgia too, mulitple fatatalities. Ringgold. Catoosa County.

That was a twitter on another forum, but this link.

www.wrcbtv.com...

www.radioreference.com...
live feed.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Anyone that comes on and posts that all this wild weather and seismic activity is normal is plain crazy...

Er, well, funny you should say that, but ......

Whether or not there is in an increase in extreme weather events around the world in recent years as a result of cimate change, is a moot point. It's very difficult to say given that such events are common but generally occur in different places every year. And a run of more extreme weather events in N America or NZ 500 years ago would probably not have been so well recorded.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I just posted a thread about tornadoes in the Appalachian Mountains here: Tornadoes Currently Pounding Appalachian Mountains, Virginia & West Virginia

There are photos there of the storms, flooding and other damage from tornadoes that have been hitting Virginia for over a week now. There were 7 in central Virginia earlier this evening, and now over the West Virginia border.

As of posting this right now, the storm is ongoing outside and has been coming in pounding waves for about 2 or 3 hours now. We've been getting emergency service phone calls and everything. This never happens in this region of Appalachia. This is stuff that belongs to the Mid-West.

Here are a few photos from Virginia:

Again, this is not stuff that typically happens around here.

Like I said on the other thread, by the time this storm is done tomorrow, I'm sure there will be more photos of destruction. There was a tornado about 5 minutes from where I'm sitting now around midnight, right in the midst of the Appalachian Mountains.
edit on 28-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
www.wunderground.com...

Severe weather warnings for many places in the US.

My prayers will be with everyone, this is really upsetting, don't want to hear more of this, want to hear us winning, and removing the bad guys running things, want to hear wins. My heart goes out to everyone.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

It may very well be cyclic..
The question is the length of the cycle..

I have never seen so many record breaking events spread around the world in such a short time span..
Have you??

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Hearing they have asked for a mass causalty morgue in Ringold - that is Catoosa county.

There was a hotel that collapsed and the business district was hit. People are saying that Ringgold is just gone.

There was a really sad video here of the tornado hitting:
www.facebook.com...
Warning, that video made me cry.

7 confirmed dead, at least 200 injuries, but they say death toll will most likely climb over night.
twitpic.com...

That's a really weird picture of the McDonald's there, what's left of it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I just heard on some news show that the record for April tornados was 116 but that tonight will put us above 300.

I remember tornados, and they do occur in clusters, but never in my life has a season been like THIS. Today we got hit at 10am, and then from about 6:30 on, and it's just now gettng to where I feel I can go to sleep. (I always listen out while family sleeps in weather like this.)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Considering what just hit the middle of the Appalachian Mountains tonight, I can only imagine what more low-lying areas have experienced.

By tomorrow morning, I have a feeling there is going to be some bad news.

At least if what's been going on outside here is any indication.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This is horrible, I have been through three tornadoes here in Michigan, in recent years we have been spared but sitll get severe storms that can kill and cause a lot of damage, I do remember this tornado in Flint, Michigan in 1953 that killed 116 and injured 844.

Flint, MI Tornado, Jun 1953

Posted November 18th, 2007 by precious2842

Flint, Mich.: June 8, 1953
Less than a month after the Waco tornado, another F5 monster ripped through portions of greater Flint, Mich., on June 8, killing 116 people and injuring 844 along a 27-mile path. Named the Flint-Beecher tornado, it is memorable for being the last tornado in the United States (as of this writing) to claim more than 100 fatalities. The Flint-Beecher tornado is rated as the ninth deadliest twister ever recorded in the United States.

www3.gendisasters.com...

I hope we don't start getting storms on this level, my heart goes out to the victims in Alabama and other states effected by this.

This tornado was one of ten that hit southeast Michigan and northwest Ohio that afternoon and evening. The others caused a total of 26 deaths and 449 injuries with damage stretching from Alpena, Mich., on the western shore of Lake Huron, to Cleveland, Ohio.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
i'm here in dekalb and was able to (luckily) get a slow motion shot of a ground to cloud lightning strike....i'm editing it now to get the excess footage off. I took the photo using a sanyo xacti vpc-fh1a, at 600 fps, so it wont show very much detail, other than the tendrils of lightning moving to meet a descending bolt. it happened too fast for me to react to.

61 perished in Alabama.....11 dead in Mississippi and 9 confirmed deaths in Georgia as of this posting

edit on 28-4-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Tornadoes in north Georgia, small town mountain city, about 20 miles south of where I live. hit really hard, heard people are trapped in homes, roads covered in trees, rescue workers having hard time reaching them. Pray for all affected.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If you pray, you might want to pray for those in Ringgold tonight.

it's real bad. There's a lot of people trapped and they can't even get them out.
it was a Hotel 6 I think that collapsed. It was 3 stories. They've closed the city off, no one in or out, but twitter is showing news folks arriving and they are confirming that it is really bad.

The police asked for an 18 wheeler mobile morgue. :/

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Wow! I have friends there. I hope they are alright.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
i'm honestly scared to see what tomorrow will show....and in this instance, this is the only time i've ever said that.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
HAARP is working as intended it seems.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewJay
HAARP is working as intended it seems.

With all due respect. It seems that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Take your one liner haarp comment to another thread. This is serious business here. I cannot believe you got a star.

There are way too many young punks on this site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join