It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Shows Doctors Ignored Torture at Guantanamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
From the article:

The report analyzed medical records and relevant case files of nine individuals for evidence of torture and ill treatment and corresponding documentation by medical personnel, a PLOS Medicine release said Wednesday. In each of the nine cases, detainees alleged abusive interrogation methods that are consistent with torture as defined by the U.N. Convention Against Torture.

The report said medical personnel who treated the detainees failed to inquire and/or document causes of the physical injuries and psychological symptoms they observed.

Instead, the report found, psychological symptoms were commonly attributed to "personality disorders" and "routine stressors of confinement," and temporary psychotic symptoms and hallucinations did not prompt consideration of abusive treatment.

Read more: www.upi.com...

I'm not surprised, but I am disgusted. Doctors are supposed to preserve life and prevent suffering. That should be something meaningful, not just rhetoric. There were also psychiatrists who signed off directly on torture. And it hasn't stopped at all. It's happening right now as I type this. There are so many black sites. So many innocent people lost down the memory hole.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
For some reason, all I can think is what Doctor McCoy would make of this. If this were Star Trek, what alien race wouldn't want to, at very least, contain us?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Like you said, is there really any shock with this revelation? All we can hope for is the people responsible are punished.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Little update:

www.bioedge.org...

Vincent Iacopino, of Physicians for Human Rights, and retired US Army General Stephen Xenakis examined records for nine detainees and contend that doctors failed in their basic medical duty to the detainees. They want “a thorough, impartial investigation”. and declare that “until such time as such an investigation is undertaken, and those responsible for torture are held accountable, the ethical integrity of medical and other healing professions remains compromised.”

As usual, the list of allegations which follows is reminiscent of a demon's resume'.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Disgusting.. They dont DESERVE the title of Doctor..
When did Mengele open a med school ? As to overlook such evil they must have attended the Mengele school of medicine..
First rule of medicine DO NO HARM . Evidently they DID NOT learn or remember that.
Hope they are stripped of their medical licenses.. Tried for crimes against humanity and imprisoned for the rest of their natural lives.
As a physician and as a human being I'm disgusted by their conduct... Think time for a cuppa tea and cigar to curb my temper ..
Thank you for posting S&F

top topics

join