It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
as a kid in the 80's, late teen in early to mid 90's, i LOVED my local woolworths! its where i went as a kid, to looka t the toy guns, dinosaur models, oil fitelr and auto section, jeans coats and plaid autumn shirts! they had teh best!! and was very lcoa, next too caldors for me. value priced, and you got damn good prodcut! its sad they went bankrupt/ fled chapter 11. woolworths had a food place in mine...tucked in kinda, was bench seats, cushioned..they were well known for theor hotdogs. god i wish they were still here. unfortunately, my local woolworths closed t doors, in early 1996: (
Bradlees was another very cool place. whrre it is now near me, its been taken over by a KHOL's. khols is cool i guess, at least they sell new balance sneakers and socks made in america* but thier mens dress hsoes selection kinda sucks..for me* so i shop at macys.com. my local macys, in mall, is never organized in the mens shoe section, they never have my size 11 wides, and the mdoels i like, alfani or bostonians, or rockports, are advertised on the table, but never ever stocked. got tired of that, so do it online. the shoes, have always been piled ontop eachother, or so understocked, yuode think thier goin outta business.
i kinda like my local walmart* well theris 2, one i hate* the other is cool actually. but sicne its known as china mart, and my research here, informing me of womens rights abuse, underpayment for being female..is a huge turn off, despite im a guy* shuoldnt mattter gender or race* some woman who worked at a walmart, lilke a montha go, sued and won for being underpaid for being female. walmart has lost my sales and customer forever. i work in retail management, so know* in a sense. the securit htier isnt so good either. few years ago, iw ent thier one night..had a used black leather biker coat on, unshaved, long hair..tired form a few hours of rest. security guy dressed as a customer walked past me a few times, checking me out. meanwhile, no lie, wathcing him, a customer across the isle, older clean cut guy, took 5 airwick air reffills, and put them in his coat pocket. walmart was watching the wrong guy, me*
the thing is* they have the best descent prices* i can get a huge container of ALL( not so many chemicals in it comapired to other detergents) for $9.99. most other stores, sell a 50oz container of tie for that much or more!
i do my shopping online now, and always look for made in america* that i amm HUGE on now. example..been looking at LED bulbs. i found 2 websites, googling in USA made LED bulbs. many others, reading hte fine pritn, were made in china..and prob not up too UL listing. this is what walmart, amongst other nameless places, have forced us to do* shop online*

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Don't worry about Wal-Mart, they'll be ok! All they have to do is start closing "some" stores and they're fine, in fact, they could afford to close "LOTS" of stores, especailly overseas locations first! and then those in the states that are least profitable to them, you know, and then, start cuttting hours, and then start cutting the full timers, and then the part timers and then, only then, will you actually see them start to sweat! But it's ok, because they are part of the gang that totally sucks up to the politicians anyway, so Wal-Mart is most definitely on the "can't fail" list in the presidents office !!!!!!!! You can bet the congress and the senate and the supreme court will make sure of that ! ! ! ! ! Also the unions, and if you don't believe that, just check out how much stuff gets delivered and stocked by union folks at Wal-Marts everywhere!
Truth!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Will also put them employees out fo work..ahem they could have had jobs at the places we mentioned..but since walmart dosnt like female employeess for some odd reason it seems, and monopolozed the retail clothing oulet, not many jobs to be made n given then.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I've only been to Wal Mart once in my life, and never went back...I do just fine without it, thank you. Eventually, people will start learning to do without and to not throw out their leftovers...just give em time...,

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
WHY in the hell are people still shopping at one of the biggest drag-downs of our economies???
If the sheep hadn't believed all the hype and BS promoted by this insane joke of a company, and not shopped there at all, we would still have your neighbours being able to make a living from their mom-and-pop style stores.

We have no one to blame but ourselves, unfortunately.
Price rollbacks? Come ON -- who believes that crap?

Just the tip of the walmart iceberg.

You want to talk conspiracies - this is a big one.

Who shops there anyway?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

We need very little to survive. Do this for a year or two and watch these mountainous corporations crumble. Without our last pennies, they will start to rethink their evil plot, or at least bring their hand out onto the table for all to clearly see.

***************************************************************************************************************************************

We live in the country.... You would be surprised the things you can do without or "make do" with other things if needed. We are 26 miles to the closest walmart and shop for only needed supplies (at other stores if possible) about once a month..We canceled cable TV, canceled COBRA insurance, turned in my 2009 SUV.......My husband and I drive ONE car 12 years old...I am disabled and my husband is looking for a job.....

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, buy at thrift stores, borrow, rent or "dumpster dive"... (I have not done that in years) Its going to be so tough on us here in America, because most people are used to "microwave meals" "precooked dinners"
So purchase whole chicken on sale, crockpot all day and make your own side dishes for dinner.... STOP eating out.

OK I grow a garden and home canning too, we raise our own chicken, beef and eggs, plus goats as well.
....(you can hyperponic grow your own food or start a patio garden!)

LEARN to barter... do you have a skill or trade? Join a barter club.... put your skills up to Craigs list and see what happens.... "Electrician wlll trade work for sheetrock repair or plumbing.....Hairstylist will trade hair care for lawn care, plumbing, small home repair..."

Do not look at new clothes.. add accessories to your old clothes, have a clothes swap... start a swap meet in your area... SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES.. soaps, jewelery, makeup, supplies, tools, tires
... STOP BUYING AT WALMART... unless you have to..

LETS ALL BOYCOTT WALMART... NOW!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
With high gas prices people may be doing their essential shopping at the nearest grocery store rather than making a special trip to Walmart. Walmart only saves you money on some things, I noticed bread and soda for example are a little higher than my local grocery stores. Many of us are not in the market for a big screen TV or a fashion change.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

Everything else in Chicago is expensive....

but i pay $2 per gallon milk here.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
All I can say is Haha Walmart. The article should read - "Walmart CEO #ting his pants because his empire is not meeting it's revenue targets'

They don't give a damn about who has money and who doesn't. If they did, they would be buying and selling locally made products that keep money and profits within the local economy and not spurring on China's growth at Americas expense.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
Welcome to the new third world. Walmart and every other conglomerate is experiencing the same thing. Get ready, we will all be living in hovels just like in the far east.

1% will live life greatly, the rest of us will be glad for rain ( with isotopes), just to clean our backsides.

We are going to hell in a hand basket. Yes, I am afraid for everyone. The middle class has been wiped clean and out.

What is our next move? It won't be pretty. S & F.

you hit the nail on the head right there. i think a lot of folks are missing this.

theres a storm coming ma. its bloody slow becuase its so big, but its gonna touchdown very soon.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnitaCigarette

.......... Hell, a lot of my gardening decorations I bought at Dollar General & they are still in near perfect condition, whereas the stuff I got from Wal-Mart has

There are Dollar Generals and Wal-Marts in Russia now?
Heck, they are not even in Canada yet.

Do you have Dollarama over there.

This whole post could be sarcastic.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
My friend works for walmart, and has told me that for the past few months, the only time she sees it real busy is at the first of month when everyone starts getting their benefits, other than that, they have been dead throughout long periods in the day. She told me that people are starting to buy only what they have to, and that it's painful to see families have to make choices between food or household needs.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
WHY in the hell are people still shopping at one of the biggest drag-downs of our economies???

Well, up here in Montana, if you're in the city, more than likely you are going to go to walmart. I'm lucky because I'm rural and 30 min away is a mom and pop chain grocer. We go there because I don't like going to town unless I have to. But people are going to walmart because it's cheap. If you can buy a child's short sleeved summer shirt for $3, compared to a $10-15 shirt at Penny's, where will you go? But I agree, Walmart is evil and I detest their business practices.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Whoa not WalMart they are too big to fail, we should bail them out! Education Expenditures,Medicare, Medicaid and Welfare funds should be diverted permanently into a save the Corporation Fund.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle
reply to post by liejunkie01

Where do you find gallon of milk for 3 dollars? It is 5 dollars here, north Carolina.

In Canada you can get 4 L of milk for $3.47 Canadian dollars, at least that is what I pay where I live and that has been the price for a long while now....

1 US gallon = 3.785411784 liters.

I don't buy it at Wal-Mart though. I can't stand going there. The ones where I live are always busy and run 24 hours during the holidays. But, the price of everything is going up and companies such as Wal-Mart will be the only ones able to survive and still make a profit. The smaller companies will have to pay more to their distributors and then charge way more at the register which will drive all classes of wealth to shop at places like Wal-Mart regardless of their disapproval of the company.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

yes...i was wondering the same thing..it's 4.08 at walmart in sillinois. Up by about 2 dollars from last year.
Bacon was 2.98 a few months ago and I just paid 4.28 the other day.

Someone asked "if they aren't shopping at walmart where are they shopping"...the answer is they are NOT. People are getting to the point that just buying enough food and absolute necessities are killing their paychecks..between bills and food there is nothing left.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Walmart is not evil at all. Walmart is an opportunist. They had the legal right and ability to buy product from China and undercut everyone else. People had the opportunity to say no to purchasing at Walmart, but...they decided to take the deal and so Walmart grows and the demand for merchandise they sell begins to displace US workers as manufacturers locally can not compete. You have to look to the regulatory bodies and politicians, not Walmart to find this "evil" you speak.

Now the Dollar stores are screwing it to Walmart but at the same time the American people just the same. The only solution is to go isolationist and buy locally but at this point it would take total reconstruction of the system from top down.

Competition is a sin -Rockefeller (The flip-side of that coin
)

edit on 28-4-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

This is Easter week in the south. Usually this part of the Netherlands is on holiday. But the traffic is almost as killing as if it was a normal work week.

Saturday before easter, the supermarkets are as packed with shopping people as the weekend before Christmas.
Now I found that it was a Saturday, like any other Saturday.

Just saying...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

CosmicEgg you have a very accurate understanding of what it will take to bring down TPTB. You're right: we have to stop complying. We need to stop feeding the machine. I came to realize our dollars are like votes, and you have to be careful where you cast them.

Living without excess is admirable. Shopping used is good thrift. Opting for alternatives to buying new in a store will take a toll as more people understand and change their habits.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

But, but. . . the economy is improving and things are getting better. (sarc)

I honestly don't see HOW this dministration can continue down this road. They are deliberately trying to ruin this country!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join