It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

I agree. If our dollar collapses and we get offered a life jacket for the cost of our national soul, I say we decline, close our borders to all but the absolute minimum of trade and rebuild. We still have a lot of natural resources and the ability to feed ourselves. I think we can totally rebuild, but this time, no corporations. We need to just outlaw the form itself here, no one should be able to make personal wealth without personal liability, it was a bad idea in the first place. Guaranteed to shift costs off onto the innocent by design.

I really think that would be a very difficult and painful choice, but in the long run, it would be our very best option. The entire global system is going to end up the same way we are at some point, we might as well get a head start on reconstruction.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
O yah, My common reference for it is either China Mart, or Slave Mart...

And to the poster above mentioning a garden... I have started my first garden this year as well... Made 3 raised beds, with room for a few more... Starting with snap peas, carrots, corn, sunflowers, lettuce, watermelon, green peppers, and strawberries... with maybe a few more varieties later in the season

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

God dang right!!!

I personally think 1 business shop/store is all 1 couple, or single person should need... That is 1 location by the way, not 1 corporation or franchise... Although I guess with suppliers etc it kinda gets tricky... but my basic thoughts are, No company should ever be so massive that it controls things, especially government

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I don't care what anyone says, or thinks...
and don't hate me...

But I love Wal-Mart!!

Thanks to the Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart when I do my monthly shopping I can go to one shopping center and get it done...

with the exception of the purchasing of meats... I am picky about that...

But Wal-Marx has it all... no need to run to 50 different stores... it actually saves time and gas money... something most don't think of...

and without Wal-Mart... where I live... those lil mom and pop stores... RIP OFF!!! I went into one a lil while back... 5 bucks for a bag of doughnuts, I can get at wal-mart for 3 bucks...

So I salute you Wal-Marx!!!
...even if that means selling my soul to you and your corporate greed...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle
reply to post by liejunkie01

Where do you find gallon of milk for 3 dollars? It is 5 dollars here, north Carolina.

I am in the middle of farm land. Small town, surrounded by farms ( right now water
).. Cows everywhere..Too many cows to explain 3.00 a gallon. It might be 3.50 now. The girlfriend does most of the shopping.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

You arent saving any money. You are just paying it in lower wages and other knock on effects that keep the cause and effect relationship too drawn out for most people to realize the reason they need to shop at WalMart is because so many shop at WalMart.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Ive been boycotting china-mart for some time now, just actually went there tonight to get a few things that are harder to find elsewhere, and would have to go to multiple places...

Anyways I noticed it was real dead in there, only about 1/4 of the parking lot was full, and this was only at about 9:30PM... Half of the people I walked by, were walmart employees... Then going to check out, only 1 register was open, and not even the self scanners were available...

So if the poorer people arent still shopping there, where are they shopping??? Definantly a sign of the times, and its too bad I dont see any end in sight.. So keep prepping ATS

I too boycotted Walmart about 7 years ago. I've been in there less than 7 times since. There was an excellent program on PBS that made my decision easy.

As for your question about where the poor folks are shopping...they are going to various foodbanks, goodwill, freecycle and craig's list!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by EvolEric

You arent saving any money. You are just paying it in lower wages and other knock on effects that keep the cause and effect relationship too drawn out for most people to realize the reason they need to shop at WalMart is because so many shop at WalMart.

uhhhhhh... yeah I am... I do the budget here...

Go to regular grocery store... spend 400 bucks...
go to Wal-Mart spend 300 bucks... get twice as much...

so yep I do in fact save

but I do buy everything that I can at Dollar Tree's
and my meat is bought at a butcher shop

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

What is our next move? It won't be pretty. S & F.

Well then what is the logical train of thought? This is an obvious we can either die now, or we can die later. Make
no mistake. Many of our sons and daughters, as well as husbands and wives are going to an early grave.
I'm seeing things from the point that their swine flu failed to wipe out 2 or 3 billion of us. Seems they mean business with the unleashed radiation and they're trashing of the worlds economy. If people were dropping dead tomorrow from radiation, or starving because they have no money for food. What could anyone do about it ? We know where the elite will be though.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
We know where the elite will be though.

On the end of a rope?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

What I'm suggesting is that we completely withdraw our support for the ways that things work now. We have to do this in a concrete, physical manner. When Christmas comes we simply say "No, I cannot afford that. I do not have money." and keep walking. For a couple of years like this, we can do it. We don't need that new car, we don't need designer clothes, we don't need the latest food hype, we don't need that new living room suite, or the new bed, or the latest TV channel subscription. We don't need iPods at all. We don't need new mobile phones. We don't need magazines for anything on earth. We need to unload our lives and our dependences. We need simplicity and honesty. We do not need these things that hurt us.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by compwiz32190

Yes, I too noticed that Walmart was not the panacea of items it once was as they moved existing stores to the Super Walmart designs. Some things I knew to be shady business practices with remaining US Manufacturers and Suppliers as they switched to rebanded Walmart items from China. Even Gerber felt the pinch as they outsource to China factories on their designs.

And while there have been some items making a slight resurgence (again Walmart brands) the selection still isn't what it once was. And I have noticed several items in the camping and sporting goods areas that have been removed from shelves without replacements within the last month or so. Couldn't be sales when the items I noticed were typically 8-20 items on hand before they disappeared. One items space was replaced by overstocking other items that may or may not have a better profit margin (but will likely not sell in the first place as I never buy generic duraflame logs for camping--actual duraflame logs either for that matter) Yet I would buy a folding grill rack meant to be placed over a campfire for cooking.

Other oddities would be allowing sleeping bags (a seasonal item) to dwindle down when people would be buying ahead of camping season. Even the selection and varieties of folding chairs that go into their own nylon bags that everyone went to Walmart to buy the past 10 years are sparse. They never last more than 2 years of regular use and can't be repaired, yet people buy them.

I glanced at the fabric selections on a previous trip. Mostly cheep fleece material that is best served as buying to size, hemming the edge and making a blanket as the quality and type is too poor for a hoodie or sweat jacket to be made. Some light silk or rayon material but no canvas of any type to be found. Not even muslin. The selection of hand tools in hardware would be considered pathetic compared to an Odd Lots store of 1/3 the size. Half shelving was dedicated to various toolboxes and bags. The power tools were a few low end Black and Decker 18V battery powered and I am not positive if there was complete line of corded drills, circular saws and sanders. Again, better off going to Meijer's or Target for tools. Same for menswear, especially jackets.

The more I think about it, Walmart has gone from being a department store to a grocery store that has better deals on canned goods/pre-packaged foods, pet foods and just happens to carry low cost linens and minor housewares. In other words, an upscale and larger Dollar General rather than the thing that killed Kmart, Sears, JC Penny's and Woolworth's.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
i shop at HEB, a Texas chain. Keep my money in Texas first.

prices are similar or better, and i can get our at HEB paying less than i would at wal mart.

When i shop, i shop by "unit price", so i know what the true value is. I always remember things like the amount of skin or bone on a chicken (thighs have a lot of extra skin left on, which is usually needless weight). I am a pro, truly. I will get up and head down to HEB at 7am, and sometimes circle back at 9 am if they are running behind. Stock up on the best deals of the day. Never turn down good, in date top sirloin when it is 89 cents a pound.

I have heard a lot of complaining about food prices, and it is true. They have gone up. That just means you have to get craftier in your preparations, and more creative in your shopping. I am spending less on food, getting more, and making it better than ever. AND i am doing a modified Atkins diet, so it is all without carbs (which is usually a money saver).

ETA: you know, it is easy to make good food cheaply when you live in the middle of a bunch of freaking mesquite tree's. Most weekends, my smoker is working OT. And the grill is fired up on every other day. Mesquite is free in West Texas. And charcoal is one thing that has REALLY gone up in price.
edit on 28-4-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

I agree with your idea. Completely. I already live that way for the most part. I keep my cars forever, and just maintain them. I like simple things. I read. I dont carry a cell phone and aside from my desktop, I own no gadgets. Not because I couldnt afford them, I just dont need them.

I like good quality food, so I spend more there than necessary, but I also grow things in season because I like high quality food.

But I think we do need to make some structural changes to our nation. Including out lawing the corporate form. It was totally designed to shift the costs and liability of doing business off onto someone else while maximizing profits. Thats not ok in society. People need to be held accountable for the things they do to make a buck. The free market doesnt work as intended when you allow the corporate form into it. It SEEMS to, for a while, but it isnt sound long term strategy. Nor is globalization.

The last economic collapse occurred during a push to greater globalization, and it was the return to protectionism that pulled us out of it. Economists dont all agree with that, they blame protectionism for the collapse in some cases, but I completely disagree. And whats happening now bears out my belief not theirs. This time, there was no move to protect, and it crashed again. Its just not a workable strategy. Nations need to compete. And businesses and industry needs to have their fate tied to the fate of a nation, or they will be incentivized to plunder it and work to undermine its government, much like you see happening now.

Its a long argument, but its based in reality, unlike the economic theories that keep destroying our economies.

Anyway. I agree with you. I just think we need to take it much further than just making personal choices. We need to choose collectively to be a nation, and fight for ourselves as a collective. Not fight as in war, necessarily, but that too if necessary. But fight to rebuild our economy and our society in such a way that people matter. That the nation itself matters. And we need to stop pretending that what really matters are the mega wealthy, be they individuals, dynasties, or corporations who have no reciprocal loyalty to the nation and her people.

We have been supporting the interests of those whose only interest is themselves. And loyalty that is not reciprocated is the highest form of stupidity. The people we bailed out are doing great. Making record profits, and doing nothing to help us out of the bind we got into saving them. We need to wise up.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Nice. Modified Atkins is really the best. What are you shooting for? 100g carbs a day or something?

Edit: I have also seen alot of people talking about rising food prices, but i always seem to be satisfied with what i carry out of the store. I look around for deals and seem to find decent prices if i take the time.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Nomadmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I think another factor is that people don't care for "WAL-MART FALL-APARTS" anymore. They can get slightly better manufactured goods from Home Depot or Staples or DOLLAR GENERAL! Hell, a lot of my gardening decorations I bought at Dollar General & they are still in near perfect condition, whereas the stuff I got from Wal-Mart has broken or become discolored within 3 days of buying it. Not to mention shoes & pants & way over-priced items from Wal-Mart! That could send me into a completely hateful & spiteful rant!!

& I can taste pesticides on all their veggies!!!! Even after rinsing!!
edit on 28-4-2011 by AnitaCigarette because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomadmonkey

rotation:

2 weeks "induction" where i hit less than 20 per day (aim for 15 to make sure i don't go over)

2 weeks where i hit 30/day

2 weeks at 35/day

4 day gorge where i take in all the carbs i can get

repeat

I am down 120lbs since Jan 3rd. I am a former powerlifter/college football lineman, and am back in the weightroom (only 1 hr daily) with my 13 yr old son. But i look pretty good, for how bad i look!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
What they noticed was already expected by me. The high gas prices is what nearly knocked the US into a depression. Now gas prices have gone up again, but before the economy has completely rebounded. Here we go again.. Only this time the ride is gonna be a lot rougher.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Its ok people Walmart will be fine. Hillary is helping them. You know her old pals she sat on the Walmart board with. Don't worry about Hillary either because its your tax money shes helping them with.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-4-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

She also quit the board because she was against many of Wal-Marts policies including it's anti-union stance and the purchasing of its goods from foreign countries.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join