It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone live in Florida and see the ball of flame?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
**Mods I am not sure where to put this so I chose here, please move it to a more appropriate place if necessary**

I was outside tonight around roughly 10:45-11pm Eastern Standard Time in St. Johns County, Florida and was looking south-southwest down US1 and seen a light streak across the sky in a direction towards the earth. Within a few seconds of seeing it I noticed a large circular ball like object and as it dropped to just above the tree line the tail and a ring around it turned an orange/red color then disappeared out of my sight.

It was several miles south of my house and was pretty large. If it were to hit a person’s house it could be very bad. The size was roughly probably slightly larger than a bathtub if you can see it rounded. Please do not trust the size depiction as entirely accurate because it was here and gone pretty quick. I would argue it was larger but prefer to keep it on the conservative side of estimates.

**Fires started before 3pm, so they were not caused by this object** This comes on the heels of a fire which has tore up 100 acres of land and is only 50% contained just 3 miles south of my house, but that is a different subject altogether, I just found these two events occurring in the same day odd.

Please, I do not want to entertain crazy ideas like “it was an alien ship”, keep this rational I want to get to the bottom of this. I would have loved to videotape this or take a picture but who has a camera recording the sky at all times? It’s not like I knew this would happen. So please do remain skeptical, that is what I prefer. If you find any news links then please post them here because I really want to know what this was.

If anyone sees this and is from the St. Johns County, Florida area or has seen this same thing please describe what you have seen so we can compare. I have 2 other witnesses which could attest to this, my mom and sister.

I do not know what made us all three look in that direction of the sky at that time but we all did and then it occurred after about 10 seconds of us all looking that way.

Links, video, pictures, anything you can find please post it here. I will be searching my local news to see if they have any information about this event.

My theory is that it was a large fragment of an asteroid/meteorite. I have no experience with astronomical stuff or UFO’s so my knowledge on this is limited. Please feel free to ask questions or provide any information you can.

Thank you.
edit on 4/27/2011 by Misoir because: revised time estimates as my computer clock is off

edit on 4/27/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Are you questioning the fires near you could have been caused by a possible meteorite? Have you driven by to get a better look at the fires? I would take a drive near the fires and see if there happens to be government or military vehicles parked nearby.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I am on Amelia Island and haven't seen anything. Although when I was out a minute ago my vision was sort of playing tricks. Straight up directly overhead I noted about what looked like 3 bright stars. As I kept looking I noticed they looked like binary or tertiary stars tight together, almost touching. Like a triangle far away would look. I chalk it up to some atmospheric or visual effect. But, I haven't seen any fireballs or anything like that. I get a lot of aircraft heading to JIA though out here so maybe anything flying would stay South toward you. I lived in Mandarin for most of my life.

ETA: It looked like 3 seperate triangles, spread out over head.
edit on 27/4/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by Misoir

Are you questioning the fires near you could have been caused by a possible meteorite?

Absolutely not, the fires have been raging before 3pm so it had nothing to do with it.

Have you driven by to get a better look at the fires?

As stated above it had nothing to do with the fires.

I would take a drive near the fires and see if there happens to be government or military vehicles parked nearby.

Maybe I should have been more clear in the OP. I will fix it. The fires have been going hours before this event.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

It was definitely not any operated machine. It was streaking across the sky heading towards the earth. It looked close to me but since the sky is so vast maybe it was very far away. Either way it was not an operated machine.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There was a Lyrid Meteor Shower that peaked on April 22nd, but it could have been a remnant meteor scattered off in space that may have come into the atmosphere.

Back in the June 1970 Journal of the British Astronomical Asociation, Keith B. Hindley and Howard G. Miles suggested that: "The period April 23-26 should be covered in the future by amateur and professional groups in the hope of recording further associated fireballs and perhaps meteorite falls."

www.space.com...

Just a possiblity...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Hmmmm.....the Lyrid meteor showers peaked on the 22nd of April, this is intersting...
I wonder if there is any correlation?

Looking now.....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

Holy Crap I work on Amelia island nice to meet you ATS neighbor!

In response to the OP, I was driving home tonight at around 11 p.m on Highway 40 just on the other side of the GA/FL border and while I didn't see the flash or fireball I did see 4-6 police/trooper/sheriff cars parked in the entrance of an abandoned real estate subdivision, most of them were standing outside of their cars looking to the south towards the direction of the St.Marys river.
This could be total coincidence because they often sit there to catch speeders,but it is usually 2 cars max and they never get out their cars with the amount of mosquitos i'm sure you're familiar with. Just thought I'd add this, I'll be watching this thread carefully and sorry if my post sounds really paranoid.

-Greige

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Misoir,

You may find this website to be of interest concerning this ball of flame...
It may be useful for reporting, and then checking back to see if other reports come in....

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Kool, man ! Thanx for sharing.. adds more on to whats really happening in these end times

Just a Big WOW cant wait till we start seeing more, time will tell.

Thank you again.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Yea im from miami and didnt see anything. My parents did see a group of UFO's the other week though.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Central FL Gulf Coast Green Meteor Fireball 27APR2011...

elpasoallsky.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It was streaking across the sky heading towards the Earth.

Wut? pick one heading to Earth, or streaking across Earth, and you said it was going on for hours, but didnt grab footage of it? ......

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think you saw a wonderful thing: a large meteorite entering the atmosphere.

About 15 years ago I was walking home from the pub with friends and for some reason (which escapes me) I looked up directly over my head and saw a huge meteorite burning up as it entered the atmosphere. It was awesome!

Congratulations for seeing the same.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Hi,

I believe I saw something similar to you in Northern England on the 8th of April 2011, which was probably the same thing seen in Melbourne, Australia, two hours earlier.

Here is a link to my thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
A friend of mine told me about something very similar that occured to her years ago. It was pretty much the exact same thing that you're describing. I told her it was most likely a large meteor buring up in the atmosphere, and I believe this is also the case with what you saw.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I live in Jacksonville, clay county, and was outside almost all day yesterday. I didn't see anything although I have heard about the fires near us, but we get wild fires every year, so not sure if it was started by something in the sky or not.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thats so cool Zorgon, thanks!

I was thinking...where is Zorgon?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by Misoir

It was streaking across the sky heading towards the Earth.

Wut? pick one heading to Earth, or streaking across Earth,

Heading to the earth.

and you said it was going on for hours, but didnt grab footage of it? ......

Went on for hours? I never said anything like that. If you read the OP I made it clear I only seen it for a couple of seconds.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by zyrna539
A friend of mine told me about something very similar that occured to her years ago. It was pretty much the exact same thing that you're describing. I told her it was most likely a large meteor buring up in the atmosphere, and I believe this is also the case with what you saw.

Peekshill Meteorite New York October 9th, 1992

Police dash cam of Meteor over Edmonton, Canada November 20th 2008.

Meteor in Australia Nov 13, 2007

Real Meteor Shower

Actually this one is space debris breaking up but these Fox reporters have got to be from some other planet... no WAY Hu-mons are that dumb

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join