It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we found a nearby primitive civilization... what should we do??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Say 25-50 years from now we have solved our own energy crisis. We have discovered a safe effcient way to navigate through space at near the speed of light. We have sent an advanced probe to investigate a 'goldilocks' planet and it discovers the planet is inhabited by a primative human civilization. Essentially a civilization simliar to our around say the 1600s.

Now what do we do??

With a satilite in orbit we could sit back and observe thier culture as they evlove

Being within reach of our technology, we could send people and tools to help this civilazation leaps and bounds, they'd evolve 500 years overnight.

We could deliver them a gift of technology with instructions on how to use it and see what they do

We could easily enslave the population. Make them build a planet that would be suited to our own kind and mine their resources.

We could veiw them as a threat to our future and destroy them completely.

I'm sure there are more options as well but its interesting to think about. We always imagine advanced beings comming here and what they'd do. What if its ends up we are the more advanced species??
edit on 27-4-2011 by jstanthrno1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If I were in charge, I would do this:

If they are "Human" Exactly like us in every way except that they are from a different planet. I would bring them into the Empire of Man (Sounds like 40K I know). Meaning I think we should help them out, and we would both benefit.

However if they are not Human, then I would exterminate them all, because like you say, they would rival us someday, and we can't have that.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

Knowing us, we'd probably start a war with them that we'd say they started. Then, once their infrastructure was decimated, we'd install a puppet leader and proceed to take all their natural resources.

In all seriousness I'd vote to not interfere with their natural development, which is probably going on here, "if" we do have visitors. When I read your post I'm reminded of a previously unknown tribe discovered in Brazil: Remote Tribe found in Brazil They shot arrows at the helicopter as it flew over the basin. Who knows what myths and stories that event created in their culture.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Great thread. I've often imagined this scenario as well. Personally, I like what you said about putting a satellite in orbit and just observing them.

A primitive civilization would be an irresponsible civilization, and if they had powerful technology, I wouldn't trust that they would use it responsibly. Plus technological development is part of the process of development of a species. If we did that, then we would be somehow offsetting the balance of their development and they might could die some how.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Interesting topic!

Since many of us on ATS lean towards a disclosure of some sort, I would think we all would attempt to be honest and proactive with another civilization.

We could help them in a way that benefited the progress of free energies, economics and sciences. Any technological information would have to be closely monitored to ensure non-militarization.

I would stress though that these civilizations may have something to teach us as well. You never know.......

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBeardRay
If I were in charge, I would do this:

If they are "Human" Exactly like us in every way except that they are from a different planet. I would bring them into the Empire of Man (Sounds like 40K I know). Meaning I think we should help them out, and we would both benefit.

However if they are not Human, then I would exterminate them all, because like you say, they would rival us someday, and we can't have that.

How do you figure they would be our rivals just because they are a different species? Cats and dogs are different species, should we exterminate them?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
BLOW THEM TO SMITHEREENS!!! lol Just playing but i'm sure our government would enslave them an we would never even know they existed.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
for those who say it would be wrong to intervene...
In my opinion, "someone" intervened on us and gave us pushes towards the technological way...

Do studies, help them develop medicines... Help them solve their energy riddles... since we figured our own energy problems out, share the knowledge...
Educate! Educate! Educate! Give the gifts of our education...

Why sit back and just watch... cos think about it... We ARE a primitive race at the moment, if you compare us to "what could be" out there... Wouldn't it be nice if someone came along and gave us a helping hand? I know I said, I believe this has already happened for us... but why not just come out with it!! and guide us...

Help that planet... help their quality of life...

-Evol Eric

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBeardRay

I would invoke the Prime Directive: no interference. Observe, examine, study, record, analyze, but that's it. Watch and learn - see how they may evolve, how they handle their interpersonal affairs, their forms of government, aspects of their culture (music, language, religion, art, etc.), what they eat, how they treat their own planet, ecosystems, energy sources, learning, exploration, and much more. If they grow and evolve, great. If they are war-like or irresponsible and self-destruct - so be it.

I guess I would suggest we proceed the exact same way that our current crop of alien visitors to Earth are behaving. Observe only - maintain a small, low profile. Disclose as little of your presence and existence as possible. Communicate only with carefully selected representatives. Maintain utmost secrecy. Carefully monitor major scientific advancements (nuclear energy, stealth aircraft, outer space explorations, etc.) -but do not intervene - regardless of the consequences.

Interesting thought experiment, OP. Thanks.
My guess is that you are actually leaning toward the corollary above...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

How do you figure they would be our rivals just because they are a different species? Cats and dogs are different species, should we exterminate them?

Not that I agree with him, but to be fair, OP does say 1600s technology. Maybe if cats and dogs develop the printing press, RedBeardRay will start thinking it's genocide time.
edit on 27-4-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button makes me happy

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Not at all. Cats and Dogs don't have society, science, or Morals or any of the other things that we associate civilization with. They are either all ready our "slaves" if you will, or not. The idea that they could be our rivals is silly to me.

However, a group of "people" with a civilization at the same level as ours in 1600, will eventually get to the point to where they exhaust their resources, as we seem to be doing, and will need more. They will also eventually discover the same technologies that we will have all ready discovered. And if our planet, or at that point in time our colony planets have resources that they need, for their "People" to continue, they will try to come and take it from us by force. And in that case, better to destroy them before it gets to that point.

You may ask "What if we can trade with them, maybe they have a resource we need?" Well my answer to that would be, we can't even trade with each other peacefully, so what makes you think that we could trade with another race?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
First we send in missionaries to spread the word of (whomever) to the heathens.

When the missionaries get killed off (obviously through the use of chemical weapons or some other WMD), we send in orbital battleships/carriers for long-range assaults to bomb the hell out of any infrastructure they have set up.

Once thier cities have been reduced to smoking ruins toxic to any long term survival, ground forces can be deployed to mop up the pockets of resistence and search for the missing WMD's hidden for terrorist counter attacks. While combing the newly created wasteland for insurgents, embedded scientists can carry out survey missions to identify the natural resources to be exploited as a means of recouping our costs.

All the while, mapping satellites are used to generate an overview of thier world and create a map for building forward bases in preparation for the first waves of colonial settlers.

The long term plan would be to establish puppet rulers who report to a central committee setup to oversee the transition to a more civilized way of life and exert control over the native populations still alive after the peacekeeping mission and likely bio-contamination of thier eco-system.

Finally, we give thier cultural relics away in Happy Meals here at home.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, you asked what we should do.

Study them from as far away as possible. When we have some basic understanding of them and thier culture, setup a very small habitat and wait for them to discover our presence.

Allow them to decide what direction our relationship will go in and develop ties with them over the next ??? years.

The best part of this plan? All of this can be done from another planet in their system.

We don't have to interfere with them at all...when they have the technology, they'll find us.

edit on 27-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Murder them senselessly & take their land. Isn't that what humans normally do?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'm undecided about what to do... I also feel as if our civilization was given a 'push' at some point, but if it was from an advanced civilization, they only pointed us in the right direction.

If we had be given and taught how to use nuclear technology in the 1600s, where we be now?? Or would we even be here??

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Give them religion and oil and watch them kill one another for the next few thousand years.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
PURGE THE XENO SCUM!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would probably follow the Prime Directive and let them be. Now, I may intervene if they develop some sort of giant laser and start blowing up our space real-estate down the road, but it would be shutting down their mightiest weapons to keep us top dog. A slight, preemptive nudge away from potential galactic warfare.

Once they get to a level where they're in an advanced space age (which we would seem to be in when we found them), I would attempt some form of basic contact, a bit of a "Hello" and not much else. Just to see how they react. If they're not monsters and generic evil, they may be worth allying and getting mutually involved with.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

haha you forgot to mention that they will also need a private central bank so that their currency won't inflate and deflate uncontrollably too!
Also I'd make sure their population stayed low and in perpetual poverty so we can protect their delicate atmosphere from the toxic air they exhale, make them live on toxic reservations, feed them that new fangled plastic rice from China and make 99% of the planet into wildlife reserves where the only vehicles permitted will be helicopters for holidays for central bank shareholders like myself). Oh and we should drug them senseless till they think all of this is just dandy.
edit on 27-4-2011 by trouble_every_day because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by trouble_every_day

haha you forgot to mention that they will also need a private central bank so that their currency won't inflate and deflate uncontrollably too!

Nah, a couple tons of used Mardi-Gras beads and they can setup thier own economy that is completely at our mercy.

There is an double-whammy here too...first we pawn off our garbage is something of immense value, and second, the germs on those beads will pollute thier bio-sphere with alien pathogens.

No need to even waste blankets.
edit on 27-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If the Universe has justice they will be:
An Organian Trap...

A truly evil race would broadcast the plans for boiling water reactors to them...
edit on 27-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
We will say they are terrorists and take them down lol. Governments will say they are a threat to the world and try to stop them, even if they had spears and arrows

I really have no idea what would happen if we did. If I had a choice, It would all depend on the situation I guess. So many scenarios, but I don't think I would put in aggression towards them unless they try to annihilate us, then I would try to find a diplomatic solution and find a way to work things out, and if not..Well, war will be war

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join