Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Your Favorite Linux Games

page: 1
3

log in

join

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I discovered The Linux software database is loaded with free games, cool games too.

I have been playing Warzone 2100, its like Command & Conquer.

They also have some pretty cool looking First Person Shooters.

Any favorites?




posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Gotta go with the Wesnoth..
It comes with the unstable (well online is unstable) 1.8 for 10.04, i think 10.10 (im talking ubuntu here) has 1.8.5 which is stable online..

Once you get into it... it's really a BA TBS game


EDIT:it's called The battle for wesnoth
edit on 27-4-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wolfenstein enemy territory works very nice and is a FPS check it out at wolf et download and info
you will also want to install the 2.60 patch u can get it at this page it says demo but it is a full game they released it for free. patch

i have had decent success running many games in linux using wine. it is a windows emulator also.



edit on 27-4-2011 by j4k312 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Have you seen this?

linuX-gamers




*I'm not one, so this is not a personal recommendation, just passing it on for kix.



posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I seen you can play some of the old NES games, Its been years sense I have payed a Classic Nintendo game.
Cool I will check those out.

Wolfenstein looks cool, I think I had it for Windows at one time.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Gotta Love Linux! I'm a happy penguin enjoying the Ubuntu distro. You can ALWAYS find free stuff simply by Googling your distro and free game (ex Ubuntu free game) and BAM, thousands of sites!

I like Battle For Wesnoth, 3D chess, ACM Ariel Combat Simulator, Airstrike, Angry Drunken Dwarves, Atomix, Beneath A Steel Sky, Billiard-GL, Bomber, Chinese Chess, Cultivation, Defendguin, DFArc (Free Dink Zelda-like game), Egoboo, Ember, Enigma, Extreme Tux Racer, Exult (Ultima 7 Engine), Five or More, Four in a Row, Freedroid RPG, ***FROZEN BUBBLE*** (fav), GFCE Ultra NES Emulator, glTron, Gnome Breakout, Gtkboard Borad Games, Hedgewars, Kiriki (like yahtzee), KMahjongg, Lincity-NG, Micropolis, OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe), Pacman, Pingis, PyScrabble, Quadrapassel, Shisen-Sho, SuperTux, SuperTux Cart, Tetravex, and Geweled

Good luck!


edit: and Wine opens up a whole new door too!
edit on 27-4-2011 by Invariance because: Forgot about WINE! O.O



posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
Gotta Love Linux! I'm a happy penguin enjoying the Ubuntu distro. You can ALWAYS find free stuff simply by Googling your distro and free game (ex Ubuntu free game) and BAM, thousands of sites!

I like Battle For Wesnoth, 3D chess, ACM Ariel Combat Simulator, Airstrike, Angry Drunken Dwarves, Atomix, Beneath A Steel Sky, Billiard-GL, Bomber, Chinese Chess, Cultivation, Defendguin, DFArc (Free Dink Zelda-like game), Egoboo, Ember, Enigma, Extreme Tux Racer, Exult (Ultima 7 Engine), Five or More, Four in a Row, Freedroid RPG, ***FROZEN BUBBLE*** (fav), GFCE Ultra NES Emulator, glTron, Gnome Breakout, Gtkboard Borad Games, Hedgewars, Kiriki (like yahtzee), KMahjongg, Lincity-NG, Micropolis, OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe), Pacman, Pingis, PyScrabble, Quadrapassel, Shisen-Sho, SuperTux, SuperTux Cart, Tetravex, and Geweled

Good luck!


edit: and Wine opens up a whole new door too!
edit on 27-4-2011 by Invariance because: Forgot about WINE! O.O


I can't wait! My laptop really lagged out one one of the FSP, I hope I can play most of them even if its on low graphic mode.



posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Tygart
 


You can PM me if you need help getting things working smoothly, sometimes you have to manually set up drivers and such.. It's usually pretty good at finding everything, but there are times...
I can tell you that you will enjoy quicker response, my computer is a lowly Pentium 2 333 with 512 meg of ram. and I have absolutely no problem. It runs as well as my husband's new laptop.



posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance
 


I sure will!, this is all new to me, it took me a while to get it all up and going.

If my connection would allow me, we should get some ATSers and so some kind of Lan party.



posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by j4k312
Wolfenstein enemy territory works very nice and is a FPS check it out at wolf et download and info
you will also want to install the 2.60 patch u can get it at this page it says demo but it is a full game they released it for free. patch

i have had decent success running many games in linux using wine. it is a windows emulator also.



edit on 27-4-2011 by j4k312 because: (no reason given)



Best map is Goldrush... You happen to be in the presence of an elite hardcore uber etpro / jaymod/ nq player. But keep it quiet as my free time these days is seriously limited.



posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Yay for this thread!

Of the open source & native linux games, three of my favorites that are really fun to play with others (locally): liquidwar, a strategic yet envigorating conquest of pixels; jumpnbump, gory mayhem with bunnies; and armagetron. which is like glTron. For single-player games, used to play tuxracer quite a bit, sliding Tux on his belly down the (3D) slopes. Seems it's now branched into extremetuxracer and planetpenguin-racer. Also enjoyed Pingus, a Lemmings-type of game (2D).

I didn't expect this post to be so boring, but it appears that most games I play are closed source & non-free (both native and emulated) - shame on me! The OP seems to be asking about packages in a major linux repository (Ubuntu's?), which means at the very least free, and preferably open-source - so I'll refrain from garbling up the thread with a list of unwanted games. If I'm mistaken, I'll gladly post the rest of the games I play on Linux - but until then, this post remains a bit of a snooze.


Occasionally I take a look at The Linux Game Tome to see if something new has come along. Just wanted to put it out there, hope it's new to some of you!
edit on 28-4-2011 by scraze because: should learn to count



posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by scraze
Yay for this thread!

Of the open source & native linux games, three of my favorites that are really fun to play with others (locally): liquidwar, a strategic yet envigorating conquest of pixels; jumpnbump, gory mayhem with bunnies; and armagetron. which is like glTron. For single-player games, used to play tuxracer quite a bit, sliding Tux on his belly down the (3D) slopes. Seems it's now branched into extremetuxracer and planetpenguin-racer. Also enjoyed Pingus, a Lemmings-type of game (2D).

I didn't expect this post to be so boring, but it appears that most games I play are closed source & non-free (both native and emulated) - shame on me! The OP seems to be asking about packages in a major linux repository (Ubuntu's?), which means at the very least free, and preferably open-source - so I'll refrain from garbling up the thread with a list of unwanted games. If I'm mistaken, I'll gladly post the rest of the games I play on Linux - but until then, this post remains a bit of a snooze.


Occasionally I take a look at The Linux Game Tome to see if something new has come along. Just wanted to put it out there, hope it's new to some of you!
edit on 28-4-2011 by scraze because: should learn to count


LOL well I do like Free, But post anything, this is a Linux games thread.
The Free games could keep me busy forever.

A paid game might catch my eye..

edit on 28-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am mostly into FPS as far as Linux gaming is concerned. My two favorites are OpenArena and Assault Cube.



posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Careful all! Microsoft seems to have a visible representation here in ATS. Don't believe me, check out my "Why Linux is Better" thread. And, don't forget the "Linux Sucks" thread. That one was a good laugh. I don't play games myself, but have a bunch of them on my computer for my kids. I just prefer the safety and stability and outright speed of Fedora on my machine. Even after running all day she is still lightening fast.






top topics



 
3

log in

join