It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts Democrats: House Votes to Restrict Unions' Bargaining Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Massachusetts Democrats: House Votes to Restrict Unions' Bargaining Rights
Hahaha... After yelling at Republicans about this issue, the Democrats of Massachusetts do an end run around the unions.

Link: House Votes to Restrict Unions

House (Massachusetts Democrats) lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last night to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their rights to bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

The 111-to-42 vote followed tougher measures to broadly eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, Wisconsin, and other states. But unlike those efforts, the push in Massachusetts was led by Democrats who have traditionally stood with labor to oppose any reduction in workers’ rights.

What that means it that the Republicans are off the hook. Hahaha...Democrats can no longer use this issue to win in 2012. Hahaha...

edit on 27-4-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If you'll scroll down a bit you will see this exact post.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Oops. Sorry folks.

I was just overwhelmed with excitement.

After reading your reply, I went searching for the thread. I could not find it.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section31

Originally posted by kro32

Oops. Sorry folks.

I was just overwhelmed with excitement.

After reading your reply, I went searching for the thread. I could not find it.

Cannot find that thread either.

I'd sure like to hear more about this. Until that other link shows up it's Star & Flag for you.

Somebody, please follow-up. I really want to hear more on this matter.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Forbes Link: Out of Left Field: Massachusetts House Votes to End Collective Bargaining for Public Workers

In a surprise move yesterday, House lawmakers in Massachusetts voted overwhelmingly to strip public workers of their collective bargaining rights over healthcare decisions. The move would strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal workers of their bargaining rights over changes made to healthcare benefits, including premiums, co-payments and other benefits.

The really surprising thing is that Massachusetts is a deep-blue state, and the House is controlled by Democrats. Far from the Tea Party governments of Wisconsin and elsewhere, Massachusetts has one of the most progressive healthcare systems in the country, thanks to former governor Mitt Romney.

After going through Bing.com, I came across a Forbes article on the issue. Also, Massachusetts' mandated healthcare system is failing. We are rationing care, banning foods and drinks from public places, etc... According to Governor Deval Patrick, banning certain foods will save money on healthcare. We are no longer allowed to drink soda on city property.

Massachusetts AFL-CIO President Robert J Hanyes responded, saying:
"It is inconceivable to me that the power of the Massachusetts Speaker is such that duly elected State Representatives would choose to take away peoples’ rights instead of stand up to one person’s will. Here in the cradle of liberty, the first state with child labor laws, and such a rich tradition of supporting working families, 111 representatives voted to take away collective bargaining rights because the Speaker of the House made them".

Where are the protesting unions now?

edit on 28-4-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I think this was the first thread on the subject: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Died after 4 posts.

Funny, when an (R) did it the thread went on for pages and pages and pages.

When a (D) does it three separate threads die on the first page.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I was thinking the same thing.

Why didn't MSNBC, ABC, or CBS pick up on this hypocrisy? Why haven't the Democrats in this forum voiced their concern?

edit on 28-4-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Section31

We can extend the questions to the War Protestors.... Gar prices.... etc etc etc.

If a Dem is involved. not a story. Matter of fact, it's expected anymore.

When A Rep is close> watch the hell out.

Did you know more soldiers have died in Afgan than when Bush was Pres? No. Fun... Maybe the MSM will get up on that one too- after Trump makes a stink about it. lol

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Section31

The article you linked just doesn't tell me enough to form an opinion. It does seem that the Democrats would be unlikely to vote for a union-busting bill, given that they have always supported labor unions and because they have been active in protests in Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and etc.

I would have to know exactly what's in the bill.

new topics

top topics

join