It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spritual Bigotry on ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Worldwatcher I understand and to some extent agree with your position. I myself have chided or denounced supposed christins for the same behavior however just as OBL is not indicative of all muslims jerry falwell is not indicative of all christians. It seems as if belief in christianity is viewed as proof of mental deficiency, Intolerance, gullibility, or just plain good old fashioned evil by many members of this forum.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
ho hum. Now for my 2ps worth...

1) "proof", as you call it, is purely a subjective interpretation of events within your sphere of experience.
2) People love to stereotype...

What do I mean? Well, people form their views on experience with a certain, "proclaimed", group of people. If I was to say "I'm a Bowling Thropheist, and here are my beliefs", then anyone you met in the future how proclaimed they were a bowling throphiest would be influenced by your opinion of me. As things stand, there are the denominations (read interpretations/inventions) of Christianity that proclaim to respect your veiws, even though you are wrong as the truth is in the Bible... I expect this helps structure most peoples veiws of the group, and in turn leads to what you see as "bashing".

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
But if someone says "christians are disgusting evil people" then the response if any is muted. Why is this. Shouldnt bigotry against any group be wrong? Or is it the consensus of this forum that only bigotry against minorities is wrong?

Why are certain forms of predjudice accpeted and others over examined, in other words? I see your point but if you take a look around, you'll see this prevailant in every society throughout the world. People choose to turn a blind eye to their own hypocrisy most of the time. In the big scheme of things, however, most are merely frustrated with their own insignificance and the lack of their ability to impose their will upon their fellow man. Thats what the PC movement is all about.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Absolutly astrocreep, and understand did not post this topic in hopes of changing anyones views or behaviors (i'm not that naive) But mainly hoping people might examine thier own hypocracies and prejudices. The fact is that while the purpose of ATS is stated as the denial of ignorance very few people take the first step in that process which is IMHO admitting that they are ignorant. (and we all are to some extent on certain issues) The fact is I have found christianity to be a very positive force in my life, and while I recognise that it has often been used as an excuse by those with decidedly unchristian attitudes, that does not mean that all christians do so any more than the actions of stalin mean that all athiests are evil. The point I am making is that a double standard is as detrimental to those using the double standard as those it is imposed on.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join