It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spritual Bigotry on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
In several posts recently members of this board have made broad genaralised statements about christians which are both insulting and incorrect. While my skn is thck enough to shrug these insults off, I wonder why this attitude is considered acceptable when the same staements, if said in reference to blacks jews muslims arabs or any other social grouping, would be considered bigotry. Christians have been characterised as stupid, evil, bigoted, opressive and violent by several posters in several threads. were I to say the same about anyother religous group or social group I would be labeled a bigot. Why the double standard? Though I recognise the vast majority of posters on ATS are athiests I fail to see the reason for the venom, and vitriol. So tell me why do those of you who do hate christians?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Actually your totally incorrect. I have seen people on here bash Muslims, Hindu, Wiccan, other pagan religions, etc. by saying really dumb and ignorant statements. Christianity gets bashed with moronic statements once in awhile, but so do the others as well, so there is no point in complaining about just one of them!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Maybe I shouldn't be answering this as I don't 'hate' Christians per se.

In the same way as there are fundamentalist Muslim and Jewish bigots so too there are fundamentalist Christian bigots.

I have a hard time with any fundamentalist bigots whatever their creed, I see little difference between them - and living in Northern Ireland as I do I am well aware of just where these so-called 'Christian' beliefs can lead.

I suppose it becomes all the more alarming to me when I see reports of how the US President officially gives the time of day to literal Bible-believing 'Christians' and the UK Prime Minister trotting out his religious beliefs from time to time.

I don't want to know their personal religious view, that's supposed to be the point, it's their personal view...how is that relevant to the running of a secular state? Their 'values' are one thing but their idea of God another.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I agree with you. I wish I got a nickel every time someone said that the bible was written and manipulated by man to control the people. I have a strong faith in God and attempt to live my life as the bible teaches. I have seen everything from �God is gay� to �God hates gays� to �God is Evil� and �The Bible is the cause of all Wars�. Every time I would see a post like this I would stand-up for Christianity and defend the good word, I�m sorry to say that this is no longer true. It is an exercise in futility.

Now everyone has the right to believe what they want and it isn�t my responsibility to convert them to Christianity or point out the truths found in the bible but sometimes someone offends me with their tainted view of Christianity and I feel compelled to strike back not with anger but with truth. Many people have a perverted view of the bible because they take it out of context and don�t bother reading the entire passage. It�s an easy way for those that are against Christianity to justify their position.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yes jazzerman I agree with you and I am not complaining. I am however asking why the response to the situation is different. When someone on these boards bashes jews or arabs there is a popular backlash but when it is directed at christianity there is either silence or congratulations. My question is why does it seem to be endorsed or at the very least silently tolerated when directed at one group as opposed to other similar groupings?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
mwm1331....good question, sorry if I misunderstood it. My bad.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Actually your totally incorrect. I have seen people on here bash Muslims, Hindu, Wiccan, other pagan religions, etc. by saying really dumb and ignorant statements.

Agreed.

The reason that Christians get whopped is that they're more likely than any other faith to come in and proclaim their particular view of their faith and then attempt to persuade the whole board to convert to their One True Path. Quite often this is done with insulting comments and crude attempts at manipulation in the name of prosteletyzing.

I have seen a tiny bit of prosteletyzing by SOME other religions in this area... if the Khemetics (for example) suddenly showed up en masse and started whapping us over the head with verses from the Egyptian Book Of The Dead to prove to us what spiritual morons we all are, I assure you that the Khemetic bashing would sweep the board and most everyone would find them Religioso Non Grata.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I am an equal opportunity Religion basher. I think all oragnized religions are wrong, dangerous, and detremental to the good of humanity.

No religion is safe from my scorn, disrespect, and disagreement. I'm not a spiritial bigot. I dispise all religions equally.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Ambient sound...thats hilarious. I always tell people that I cant be a racist, because I hate everyone equally no matter what race you are.

Byrd...and I agree with your statement. I know your a practising Wiccan, as is my fiance', so I always recognize when people say unfounded ideas about religion. Most people just spout of some BS that they read on a website, or was told by their parents, and this goes for any religion.

There will always be people who say dumb things about any subject you could think of. Its just human nature I guess

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
mwm I think that any time someone tries to use religion as the basis for an argument it opens them up for attack, and for good reaon: your religion is your spirituality and should be kept personal and private. Same as your sexuality or other personal issues.

Just my centrist .02 (politics are exempt).

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am sorry but I don't see what you are refering too, mwm1331, some people get heated about some comments but overall everybody has a change to post their oppinions with not problem at all.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am sorry but I don't see what you are refering too, mwm1331, some people get heated about some comments but overall everybody has a change to post their oppinions with not problem at all.

I have to agree with mwm1331. In fact, in a recent post that had nothing to do with religion you were quick to bring up the Vatican and take another opportunity to throw it under the bus.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To you it may be harmless fun but it does seem to be a recurring theme around here. This is the kind of thing I don't understand, it is hurtful and insulting, but more importantly unnecessary.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i know at least why i am silent when ppl bash my religion (christianity).

1. they are bashing The Church, and as a non-demoninational Christian, I agree with many of their points

2.Christians are commonly labeled as close-minded. If I spoke up, even when just trying to have an educational debate (read:having a open mind, just wanting to know where they are coming from) I get labeled as another one of those christians. And that isnt what christianity is about, so i try my best to make sure no one can mistake me for being closed minded.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
mwm I think that any time someone tries to use religion as the basis for an argument it opens them up for attack, and for good reaon: your religion is your spirituality and should be kept personal and private. Same as your sexuality or other personal issues.

Just my centrist .02 (politics are exempt).

Okay, but we have some boards here that are about Spirituality and one about religious conspiracies. In these boards, though not necc. to use your own religious beliefs, it is more often started when someone throws out a false statement or derogatory statement about another's particular belief system.

I haven't been here that long compared to a lot of people, but it is one blatantly obvious and disappointing thing I have noticed. Certainly these things can be discussed without taking pop shots at every available opportunity to anothers belief system.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they should team up with the vatican and the pope on this one, by the way what kind of religion does North Corea practice?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am sorry to spoil your fun Relentless, but this was a comparison by post and I did not bash or was disrespectful to anybody's beliefs and by the way the Catholic church did committed crimes against women in history and that is a historical fact not a degrading comment next time be more careful to who directing comments with not foundation.

And yes I am against religious organizations not religious beliefs

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I am sorry to spoil your fun Relentless, but this was a comparison by post and I did not bash or was disrespectful to anybody's beliefs and by the way the Catholic church did committed crimes against women in history and that is a historical fact not a degrading comment next time be more careful to who directing comments with not foundation.

And yes I am against religious organizations not religious beliefs

No, just an example of a pattern, and I find the comparison misleading.

My point is if you or anyone else is against religious organizations what is it to us anymore than what I believe is to you? Can I go around making obnoxious remarks about people who are against organized religion? Actually, I can, but I don't. We have freedom of religion and whatever the Vatican does is not your concern if you are not a Catholic. What is the point in constantly knocking it at the expense of others who find it offensive. I just think people can make intelligent conversation without resorting to that. Is that too much of an expectation?

As for the "next time be more careful to who directing comments with not foundation.
" - Shall I learn from your example on this one?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well what can I said I am the least of two evils but obviously you are targeting me, so have fun and by the way when the church start giving respect to humanity I will change and show respect right now it has none neither credibility or respect.

Also I should remind my fellow members that when is wrong to bash people personally it is nothing wrong to post negative opinions on the thread of "Conspiracies on Religion" the thread name alone will tell you that is open to any type of comments on the post occurs without insulting any particular member.

Perhaps ATS should consider the religious members of ATS and have a new thread only for Religious believers I am all for it, but as long as the thread said "Conspiracies on Religion" people should be aware that believers and non believers will either agree or disagree.

Just a nice sujestion.lol:

[edit on 31-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

Okay, but we have some boards here that are about Spirituality and one about religious conspiracies. In these boards, though not necc. to use your own religious beliefs, it is more often started when someone throws out a false statement or derogatory statement about another's particular belief system.

I haven't been here that long compared to a lot of people, but it is one blatantly obvious and disappointing thing I have noticed. Certainly these things can be discussed without taking pop shots at every available opportunity to anothers belief system.

Well then I agree, those forums are where religion should be discussed. But not in political forums. And potshots should not be tolerated in any forum. If someone is antagonistic towards religion then they should show some courtesy and stay out of the discussion.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Im not hateful toward any religion, if somebody needs to believe they have it all figured out and if they wish to abide by a book written by a man (quran, bible, book of mormon, whatever) to assure their ticket to whatever heaven they believe in, or to be more comfortable with their mortality, more power to them. But when they take it upon themselves to enforce their rules on others (scientific research, abortion rights, gay marriage, etc.) then I have a problem. I am no athiest, I know theres more to life, but we are not meant to figure it out yet. And it can be extremely dangerous when somebody believes they do and convinces others of that, history has shown us that in many cases. What they all had in common were people died, organized religion has proven to be dangerous, just about every war has had religion at its roots. If somebody wishes to worship, if it makes them feel better about death, fine, but it should not leave their homes. Religion was to be seperate from the government for a reason, and that has been ignored, instead we have many laws based on conservative christian values. And we have many governments abroad run solely on religious values, ones that not only oppose ours but also wish our destruction. So, sorry if I seem cynical toward religion, but I dont hate religious people, I just wish they would keep it 100% private, everywhere.
I also cant understand fear of death, while death is not something we want, we shouldnt be afraid and need to think we are going to paradise, remember you were dead before you were conceived by your parents, not alive, and you got through it fine, life is wonderful and mysterious, but please dont force your religious values on others. Let them choose their paths, as you should be able to choose yours, then Christians wont feel negativity toward them, oh yeah, dump Falwell, that man has so much hate in his eyes for those who oppose his views, its like hes personally damning them to hell.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join