It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Comet Elenin's Near Miss; Then along came Asteroid 2005 YU55...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
On 16 October 2011, the comet Elenin will pass within about 0.23 AU (34,000,000 km; 21,000,000 mi) of the Earth at a relative velocity of 85,000 km/hr. This comet will bring debris with it and we will pass through the debris trail around the 6th November 2011. What that debris will consist of is anyones guess.

Whew! wow, that was close... then 2 days later....

On Nov. 8, 2011, the Asteroid 2005 YU55 will pass within 0.85 lunar distances from the Earth. That's a mere distance of 191,120 miles (307,577 km), about eight-tenths the distance between Earth and the moon.

oh boy!....

Let's speculate the possibilities now people, of a direct hit on Earth....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I prefer to take their word...

"At one time we had classified 2005 YU55 as a potential threat," said Steve Chesley, a scientist at JPL's Near-Earth Object Program Office. Prior to the Arecibo radar passes on April 19 thru 21, we had eliminated almost all upcoming Earth flybys as possibilities of impact. But there were a few that had a low remaining probability of impact. After incorporating the data from Arecibo, we were able to rule impacts out entirely for the next 100 years."

...and continue living life without worrying about an impending doom.

But that is just me

edit on 27-4-2011 by DaveWx3 because: editing a post is the cool thing to do.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Comet Elenin will apparently " block out the sun " for a couple of days. Other than fitting in with religious Armageddon scripture I doubt anything will happen...and I'm not being sarcastic.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

That's a mere distance of 191,120 miles (307,577 km), about eight-tenths the distance between Earth and the moon.

Eight-tenths? Fear mongers! More like Four-fifths...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

How is it going to block out the sun??
2nd line

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Biblical prophecy, book of revelations,, 3 days of darkness. And the stars will fall from the heavens (Debris entering earth's atmosphere?) And The moon will turn to blood (red dust will be a result of the passing of the comet)

I THINK the catholics believe only 1/4 of mankind will survive this event (I will have to research tomorrow at work because my home internet is too slow)

All Biblical prophesy set aside, if the sun is blocked out for three days, will be cold? (Sun=heat). Colder than never before?
edit on 27-4-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

i dont believe it has to come very close to have some effect. especially if they, elinen and earth, have an electrical difference.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Watched ''Deep Impact'' last night and August 16th was the day of E.L.E. no year mentioned just a black president for USA. All the relevant info in the movie ie seed banks, D.U.M.B.S for only 1 million US citizens. The President told everyone else to fend for themselves! I know this movie has probably been dissected before just tought I throw in my 2 cents with the ozzy dollar so high ($1:09)!! Cheers

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamnowhere
Watched ''Deep Impact'' last night and August 16th was the day of E.L.E. no year mentioned just a black president for USA. All the relevant info in the movie ie seed banks, D.U.M.B.S for only 1 million US citizens. The President told everyone else to fend for themselves! I know this movie has probably been dissected before just tought I throw in my 2 cents with the ozzy dollar so high ($1:09)!! Cheers
Yes it has ,. in the "original"
Elenin thread

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

If everyone is saying it will be hundreds of thousands (if not millions in the case of the comet) of miles away, don't you think that indicates it won't hit the Earth at all?

The debris of a comet is water vapour.

edit on 27/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

I missed that report? A link? From what I have read in Puterman's thread, Elenin isn't close to blocking out the sun?
A wee bit small to do that, just a dot on the sun.
edit on 27-4-2011 by mugger because: add

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Apparently...read it on some thread here...my guess is...Elenin's tail is 900 000 km long and we'll fly through that in November...maybe that will cause a sun blockage...dunno. Ouh...you people think Im saying the size of the comet will block out the whole sun lol?...No...just OUR VIEW of the sun...if anything.
edit on 27-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Even if any of them did hit us, why would we all want to focus on our inevitable deaths?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

If everyone is saying it will be hundreds of thousands (if not millions in the case of the comet) of miles away, don't you think that indicates it won't hit the Earth at all?

The debris of a comet is water vapour.

edit on 27/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

i think thats a crock of salt and typical of the garbage bandied around for years by "scientists" so that you hear it so often it is excepted as truth. can anyone really imagine that its water vapor from a dirty snowball. science fiction to me. read up on jim mccanney's theorys, they are quite interesting.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It is my understanding that elenin is no where near big enough to block out the sign. What infromation do you have that suggests it will. I would guess in order to block out the sign it would need to be at least the size of the moon

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This thing will not hit us, nor will it cause a sun block out. It may give a little light show tho and mess up alot of satillites. No t.v for the populous, i believe to come. I still am curious tho. Very curious, about all the activity going on. We hit a record breaker for tornadoes already and it is not even close to may. This already happenned. 70 people reported dead today, because some 100 or so tornadoes ravaged several areas. I still wonder what is going on here.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

How do you know it will block out the sun?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Do you people read?...I said apparently...as in...somebody else said this will happen and I read somebody else's theory some time ago and remembered it. Meaning this could happen, be damned If I know.

IF it will happen my guess is that the comet itself won't block out the sun, BUT the comet's tail which will be closer to earth, thus blocking out the sun for us. Like your hand would block out the sun if you put it right infront of your face...and IF it will happen it would coincide with religious scripture saying the sun will be blocked for 3 days which I found curious.

that's all I'm saying
edit on 27-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
OK... Glad you guys could support this with your thoughts, now I will enter my conjecture and hope you folks can help me resolve this question...

Which direction is the asteroid comming from in relation to the comet?! Is there a possibility that instead, the two will collide with eachother? affect eachother's trajectory?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dude69

It's absolutely impossible. The Moon is about 400 times smaller than the Sun. The only reason it can block out the Sun is because it is also 400 times closer to the Earth. Elenin is 4 km in diameter, making it 348,000 times smaller than the Sun. This means that it would have to be 430 km from Earth in order to be able to block out the Sun. An object that close is going to appear to move through the sky very quickly. When the Moon eclipses the Sun it might last for an hour. If Elenin managed to eclipse the Sun, you'd be lucky if it lasted for a minute. So, as you can see, using physics it becomes apparent that it would be impossible for Elenin to eclipse the Sun, let alone for three days.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join