It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for advice on digital cameras in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Greetings ATSers!

I think this seems the most appropriate forum to put this in, if not, could a kind Mod put it where it needs to be, my first thread and all

Right then, I am looking to buy a decent camera soon, however, I'm not entirely sure which ones are good or what sort of thing I should be looking for. I plan to mostly use it for night sky/sunset photos as I live with low level urban light and the stars/moon during the summer are just gorgeous. I always curse myself for never having a good camera to hand (phone cameras just don't do it justice).

So far I like the look of this and this.

Are they any good? Is there anything I should avoid? I don't have an SD card reader and I'd rather avoid having to buy one if necessary. I'm looking to spend about £150 at most ideally.

Thanks in advance

- Phoenix
edit on 27/4/2011 by phoenix_zephyr because: To add. Shalalalala

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix_zephyr

Hello, looked at both them cameras in your links, they look cool. I use a Sony DSC - W320, i have provided 3 links below. I have an SD card slot on my PC, but i do not use it for my camera, instaed i conect with the USB adaptor. I have provided some links. I have tried other digital cameras, but very happy with the Sony. Hope that helps a bit, good luck.

Camera

SD USB adaptor

Micro SD card 8GB

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
id go with the canon u you posted 14.1 mp is better picture quality than the other you posted. i have a poloroid 3x zoom and 14 mp but i live in the city so shooting at the stars isnt that great and havent tried that much. if you want quality pictures i would suggest spending a bit more on like a canon eos or rebel im no expert but more optical zoom gives you more options. good luck...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackDove

Thank you very much for the links. The SD USB adaptor is something I'll look into, didn't know they existed
The Sony one looks quite nice too ... too many choices

reply to post by SpunGCake

I was more leaning towards the Canon one yeah, it just seemed to have more options but then I suppose you get what you pay for

- Phoenix

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Hey no problem bud, you know the Sony one i posted is 14.1 Mega pixel as well. Its a good buy, great images. (No i don't work for Sony)
, that USB adaptor is handy, the sd micro card slots into the adaptor provided with it, that then goes in your camera, once you done shooting your pics, you remove the micro SD card, place it in the USB adaptor, plug it into the side of your PC, and thats it.

And all those three things for about under £115. The Sony cam was around £189 - £200 before christmas, i should have waited.
lol Take care and have fun.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ended up getting a Fujifilm one in the end in store at Currys Digital which was reduced by £100 so that was a bit of a bargain. Very impressed with it so far and picture quality is quite nice with an intuitive menu.

Sample Picture

(Sadly me and the ATS media picture upload area are having issues so had to use photobucket
)

- Phoenix

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Thats a quality pic there phoenix, and you got the same colour cat as me as well.
Im gonna flag again for that.
Hahahaha. Well done on the bargain hunt and purchase.

new topics

top topics

join