It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

made to feel uncomfortable by members even on this website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
id just like to take the time to complain. this forum i believed was for expressing your thoughts freely with being made to feel terrible. it doesnt matter what is said on here, someone always has something just plain vindictive and bitter to say back. if you dont like my thread subject dont click on it. why click on it to go in, not contribute, and just bad mouth the op for expressing an OPINION! i already do not go along with the same ideas everyone else out here seem to have, because they believe everything the 5 o clock news wants them to. but in here i thought i had a sanctuary with like minded , considerate, grown up thinkers. granted many of you are very friendly and polite, but there are sooooo many of you that are on some high horse and want to put down the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
No high horse here. But you did call me a negative nancy so I'm returning the favor.
Don't be so sensitive. Practice what you preach. I'm giving my opinion, and I am not going to tiptoe around on eggshells for the sake your comfort.
edit on 27-4-2011 by illuminatitanimulli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

This isn't really the place for opinion, mate. Yes, we have quite a few people who express theirs, but you gotta back it up. "Deny Ignorance"... that's our motto here. If you express an opinion that doesn't go down well with other folk, it's probably because you're not backing up the motto.

It also might be the fact that you're fishing for information that you should already know. If you wanna know what else is going on in the world today, use the same tools that we do to find out. There's no shortage of information out there, simply wade through the crap to get to that glittering gem.

I haven't seen anywhere in your threads where anyone has been particularly rude. So, if you're out playing Hero for someone else, back off. If they have enough conviction in their own opinions, then let them defend themselves. It plays towards the credibility of the post. If someone makes a claim, here, it's going to be attacked from every angle. If we don't, how are we denying ignorance?

Relax. Take a deep breath. It's going to be alright.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You have heard of Trolls haven't you?

These are vindictive types who like to post rubbish all over someones thread. Don't worry about them, the mods usually do a good job of removing anything offensive and off topic in relatively quick time.

Don't let this effect you, I am sure the majority of people on here will read anything you have to say and as long as you make a decent contribution to a debate, you shouldn't get mauled too much.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

First off, be mindful that it's not everyone. Secondly, remember that people are people in general, regardless of location or alignment - I know of no group without bad people, and very very few groups without good people (Westboro Baptist is actually the only one that comes to mind, but I probably don't know them well enough to take it in context?).

If you ever find a completely safe haven, let me know...but otherwise, all I can suggest is to be true to yourself, look before you leap - then don't throw your pearls before swine. Unkind treatment never warrants a response, so just do your little bit to always add something of value, stay out of pointlessness, and let the chaff roll right off you.

For whatever it's worth, though, sorry for the unpleasantness.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
ive been there myself sonnyboy just dont take it to heart if u cant take the flameing dont post a thread or post.. no offence now

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I feel your pain ,there are a lot of trolls on this site , don't let them beat you down

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Here is the same post I put in another thread just like this one. I think this applies to you as well OP. Here was my comment:

Welcome to the world of internet forums. I am a member of many of them for my various hobbies, and every one of them is the same. No matter the sense of community that there is, you will always have people that show up in a thread just to put someone down. I just figure those are the people that the interwebs were made for. Mr. Little Man. The guy that sits at home on his PC waiting for the chance to put someone down, only to make himself feel better. That is what the internet allows these people to do.....hide behind a PC, use an alter ego of sorts with their user name and avatar as their identity. Do you think the problem would be so great if we had to use our real names and a real picture of ourselves? I doubt it. Really, it is just like Xbox Live. Little 12 year old boys, taking so much smack about how bad ass they are, but in reality, they are just a punk little kid with no life.

So, my thought is, have a thick skin. Don't let it get to you. If it does, forums aren't the place for you, and you should go find something else to do. Not everyone will agree with everyone else, period. Around here, I would surely think that the ridicule would just motivate you to put together a better thread. You know those people are going to show up to bash, so have every thing well put together, have all your sources ready, and put the needed thought into it. That will certainly lessen the chance for that little punk to tear your thread apart before going back to playing Call of Duty.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Why do you care what others thing or even what they say about your opinions? They're also free to state their opinion here, and if it conflicts with yours some will attack you....welcome to the internet

But seriously, who cares what others say or think...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I completely agree with you. I was on a thread last week, where the OP actually apologized for being wrong about a prediction (well thought out I might say, and had strong belief in the prediction) and actually ended up apologizing over and over again for being wrong about the prediction. Even days later, people were bashing and calling named and cutting them down. A few of us were on there saying things like... have some respect, you have the right to ignore the thread if you don't like it, cutting this person down is unnecessary, etc. But it just continued by a few certain individuals who need to act like playground bullies in order to feel better about themselves.

I see alot of threads started, and include things like "please don't be mean" and whatnot.

Isn't that what we are here for? To share our thoughts and opinions? We can disagree with each other without being cruel or disrespectful...

I'm glad someone else here feels the same as I do.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
very true indeed...

And its usually the same 'trolls'. I tend not to post on certain threads if said trolls have been there.

There just nasty bored weirdo's....

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
granted many of you are very friendly and polite, but there are sooooo many of you that are on some high horse and want to put down the rest of us.

There is your challenge, engage them, many will do that to see if your the real deal. Then again, intellectual interaction is a chess game, sometimes you win sometimes you loose and sometimes its a draw. Either way, simply engage the person or persons, if at some point it goes beyond intelligent interaction then simply notify a moderator and it will be looked at.

On a side note, if you look at the amount of online visitors and the amount of people actually posting you will begin to grasp the bigger picture of this site. Patience....its priceless.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Well beautiful. I wished I could help ya. Problem with that is that I cant. Dont let anyone's comments bother you. I wish I had half of what you got
Going on in that head of yours. If you can put up with me. You can put up with anything.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

FEELINGS are internal.

No One makes you FEEL but yourself.

Responsibility for your FEELINGS is on YOU alone.

Time to grow up.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil6iviute9

Thanks. Since I posted this Ive learned to ignore the trolls, have to grow a thicker skin with some of the people on here!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I'm sure there'll be a few forums at the Disney website for you, where people's opinions will be nicely wrapped up in cotton wool for you.

Over here you get people's brutal opinions, warts and all, that's how I like it, personally speaking.

top topics

join