It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube should have been named Useless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I can't stand youtube, all day trying to listen to videos and it buffers all damn day and doesn't play one damn thing right. This is why the founders of it should have called it useless. It's about as useless as nailing jello to a tree!

It doesn't matter what size memory or RAM you have in your computer, youtube is the slowest running thing on the net. It's so aggravating that I'd rather get a root canal!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I've never had a problem. Youtube loads fine for me most of the time. I use a little known service provider for broadband and they are quick.

Call your service provider and tell them it's too slow - they can up your bandwidth.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Youtube has never not worked for me!
sorry for the inconvenience

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I don't usually have a problem with youtube videos playing without interference. That is unless my daughter is playing WOW on her computer, then sometimes I have to wait for buffering. What really gets my rant going is the videos that have an ad that plays before the actual video begins.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Youtube has been known to have long buffering times...

Try downloading Speedbit Video Accelerator and running it before playing videos. The free version plays up to High Quality, but the paid version plays High Definition.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I use youtube all day long. And the videos play smooth and flawless.
Even the 1080 and 720 videos.

A great many things can affect your youtube experience.

What is your internet connection speed?
DSL or Cable?
Who is your service provider?
What kind of computer do you have?
What's the cpu model and speed?
how much ram do you have?
What browser are you using and which version?
Are you using a router to connect to your modem?

If you have an old PC it could be time to upgrade that Pentium II to something newer.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

There is either a problem with

A) The speed of your connection (In other words your Internet Providers fault)

B) A problem with your PC/Phone/Device like spyware/adware/virus, Browser issue, OS or hardware failure

C) Your PC/Phone/Device is old and the hardware is not powerful enough for today's needs

D) User error

Take your pick?

I would be about 80% sure answer A is the problem. Talk to the ISP. If it is not resolved better get some professional I.T help!

If they cannot provide a decent enough Broadband service to stream youtube movies demand a refund!

Honestly youtube runs really well considering how many people actually use it! Big bandwidth!
edit on 27-4-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
www.you-sless.com

That would've been funnier.

And there's a thing called Google Chrome ;-)

And a thing called Tampermonkey (for Google Chrome) which means you never have to watch damn adverts.

And also, clearing you're internet history and all the back log files it keeps will make it faster e.g. Disk Cleanup, which (if not done for a while) can get rid of a couple of GB worth of crap you've accumulated whilst surfing the web. It helps with speed and everything.

But tbh mate, it sounds more like a signal problem if it's buffering time. Troubleshoot you internet connection? Could just mean you have to reset your modem or something along those lines.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
My computer has a good amount of RAM(Which isn't telling me how much I forget, but I've got a 64 bit system) And an AMD equivalent to Pentium 2 It's almost two yrs old maybe not even I don't know for sure. It's a great machine and it runs fast for everything else. I have Google chrome. It isn't adware or spyware or a virus, I have Norton installed. I am an I.T. person myself. I think it might actually be because my child plays stupid Project Blackout all day so that could be the problem. I also regularly clean out my history and defragment the computer regularly. I am no NOOB. LOL!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

There is either a problem with

A) The speed of your connection (In other words your Internet Providers fault)

That could be, because I am sharing my signal wirelessly.

B) A problem with your PC/Phone/Device like spyware/adware/virus, Browser issue, OS or hardware failure

I have Norton antivirus, may be the phone line computer is fairly new as described in above post.

C) Your PC/Phone/Device is old and the hardware is not powerful enough for today's needs

See My computer isn't that old and the modem is new too.

D) User error

I know how to use the computer fine. I don't think this is the cause.

Also if I try to up my bandwidth which is DSL the Dumb buttheads charge me more money per month it's Verizon.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BourneConspiracy
www.you-sless.com

That would've been funnier.

I actually thought about writing it that way, hahaha, but I changed my mind I think I'll try that Tapermonkey. Thanks for the tip!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

As I said Answer A looks the most probable! Maybe change providers. What DSL are you on? Here we have ADSL1 where the speed varies from 64K - 1500K, ADSL2 upto 7200 and ADSL 2+ 24000. They are theoretical speeds of course.

What plan and DSL type are on? It could be a line issue but you would have to look at the signal to noise ratio (snr) and "line attenuation" from the modem/router stats. Maybe it just ISP throttling/shaping?

Maybe the game you mentioned has some sort of "Online" capability which is eating into the bandwidth?

Is it just youtube other all streaming video websites?

Flash up to date?

Sorry I work in Australia so excuse me if the terms are little different to yours but I would assume it works the same way. Just trying to help you nail where the bottleneck could be!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Thanks for the help, other streaming things work fine. For instance I had absolutely no trouble with HULU. My DSL is the 64K - 1500K... the higher ones cost more and its through Verizon, I do think it may be the game requirements, other times we have the trouble when I am downloading big files. But the rest of the time it seems fine.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

A quick Google www.google.com.au...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a shows there are others who have this problem as well. A look at my own ISP's knowledge-base shows similar issues.

In my ISP'S case they were throttling youtube traffic and how much cache they had.

Maybe verizon has limited the amount of youtube cache they keep. There could also be "contention"/congestion in the back haul routing from the ISP.

If you say everything else is good well this will be a very hard problem to resolve from your end. May even be hard for verizon to solve as well because they "buy" access and bandwidth at the cheapest rate and have little or no control over that.

All I can suggest to you at this stage is to just make sure it is not browser/flash related by downloading another browser. Something different to what you use now e.g Firefox or Chrome just as long as it is different to the one you currently use and don't use a browser in a different "wrapper" that just uses the same settings base. Try portableapps.com... to get one as being portable it does not "install" and just runs from executable. Even then it is long shot!

I know it is probably a royal pain in the you know what but try another device/phone/pc in your current location but again a very long shot

You could try the youtube speed test tool here www.youtube.com...

I must say I had similar issues occasionally when I was on the older DSL but nothing like you by the sounds. it improved drastically when I moved to ADSL2+ but even then during peak times very rarely though it does the same thing.

Sorry I can't help anymore. I'm too far way!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I've noticed a problem with youtube also. But what I think I figured out is that if the video has a commercial, (which SO many of them do now) it loads real quick. If it doesn't have a commercial, then it bufferes forever and the video lags so badly you can barely watch it.

top topics

join