It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Are Reluctant to Defend Any of These Allies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The United States has military defense treaties with over 50 other nations. In addition to surveys about countries regularly in the news, Rasmussen Reports has been periodically asking Americans how they feel about defending some of these treaty countries if they are attacked. On the most recent list of nine countries, American Adults don’t feel strongly about defending any of them.

Top 15 countries Americans would support defending:

1. Canada – 80%
2. Great Britain – 74%
3. Australia – 65%
4. Israel – 61%
5. Bahamas – 58%
6. Panama – 58%
7. Netherlands – 55%
8. Germany – 54%
9. Mexico – 53%
10. Norway – 53%
11. Italy – 50%
12. Philippines – 49%
13. France – 46%
14. Spain – 46%
15. Egypt – 44%

Top 15 countries Americans would not support defending:

1. Iran – 78%
2. North Korea – 77%
3. China – 66%
4. Russia – 65%
5. Nicaragua – 63%
6. Bulgaria – 58%
7. Vietnam – 58%
8. Saudi Arabia – 58%
9. Pakistan – 57%
10. Peru – 56%
11. Venezuela – 55%
12. Iraq – 55%
13. Albania – 54%
14. Afghanistan – 54%
15. Portugal – 53%

What did Albania and Portugal ever do to the United States to make the top 15 countries we would not want to defend? They are part of NATO afterall.

Personally I am opposed to the US defending any country whether with weapons or military assistance, we should defend only ourselves as the US Constitution instructs us to do. If Canada were to be attacked yes I would want them to be triumphant but I wouldn’t support the US government intervening in any way on their behalf. Same goes with any and every country.

www.rasmussenreports.com...

www.rasmussenreports.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Not to answer you post really, as I don't know - but just to agree with the sentiment:

Thomas Jefferson -

Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none

John Q Adams -

America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.

For liberty!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Obviously we the people have little say in these matters anyway. Public support for the wars and military action right now aren't exactly good.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
See Canadians, despite your concerns about the reckless actions of the USA, we will defend you guys if the blowback comes your way!

I accept your apology.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm bookmarking this for the next time I see a fellow Canuck diss the States. 4 out of 5 Americans see us that well. I hope this is read by my fellow countrypeople.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontdrinkthewater
See Canadians, despite your concerns about the reckless actions of the USA, we will defend you guys if the blowback comes your way!

Sorry, don't need it. We can handle ourselves. Please don't push that.

I accept your apology.

Not given. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well if we don't defend Canada, where would we get our Cheese Curd, LaBatts and Beaver Tails???? I can't imagine visiting upstate NY w/out getting some Canadian coin returned for change. lol...

of course we would defend Canada... it's America's hat!!

I'm just playin neighbors....

I do think it's quite telling that only 54% of 'mercans would support defending Mexico... seriously?? Do they not realize that Mexico borders the US??
edit on 27-4-2011 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Speaking as an American I would gladly enter into battle alongside my Canadian brethren to defend your homeland. I do not support our military helping you but if your country would let our people fight for you I guarantee there would be thousands of Americans signing up.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I accept your apology.

Very magnanimous of you since the blowback would come from the actions of Capt. Obama and his war mongering policies.

Thanks for your apology.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

As I'm sure we would as well. We are kindred nations. Largest trading partners. It's sad that some up here forget that. They see American presidents fall on their asses continually while forgetting that we have little in the way of leadership ourselves. TBH I've found the people of America to be the finest I have met. Be it NY, Migh, Ore, Wash, Cali, Me. We should look passed our leaders and see the people. Obviously Americans have. It our turn to do the same.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan?

Not Support? I'm clearly not getting this. Support against who? The US is there and would clearly fight against anyone who attacked these nations only to protect their own interests.

Confusing list.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

yeah the government would but theres a few on there that doesn't have any support from me.

mexico is number 1 let them live in the bed they have made for themselves.
france is another one alot of the french do not like americans
spain is another one that a cry of help would fall on deaf ears
egypt has now become another one not that i liked mubarrak but what has replaced him has made me hesitant.

i am not so sure israel has american support from this administration and reading alot of the anti israeli sentiment on this website.

i would love to kick saudi arabia to the curb bigtime BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!

*edited to add what really surprises me is japan isn't on that list.

hmmm.
edit on 27-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The reason they say we wouldnt defend theses allies... is because what we're witnessing is the push for a new world order.... no one can say it's not logical to believe? that is why i think we are now pushing into libya,, gaddafi was a dictator.. right? dictators cant have power if he formed into the NWO. right?

back to the point... the reason we wont EVER goto war with these nations is that they're already bowed into the new world order... just like republicans and democrats, theses 2 sides were made as a distraction for americans to eat up the BS and to keep us occupied while THEY take care and see that THEY"RE hidden agenda is moving forwardly and accordingly... if i am wrong private message me an we can debate lol

but it all makes sense in my point of view?? does noone else believe the same??

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I to am suprised about Portugal, to my knowledge theyve never bothered the USA. I guess they'll have to look to Spain and the EU to stick up for them.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Hmm Albania and Portugal...

Honestly, I wonder what would have happened if you asked the people who said "no" to defending them to find them on a map.

I'm guessing 50%+ of the people who said no couldn't find them and many would guess somewhere in Central, South or South East Asia, Africa, South America or who knows where.

I'd also guess something like 10%-15% of people are going to say no to pretty much everybody, taking a position that would basically be one flavor or another of isolationism, if Canada can only get 80%. In their case, the other 5%-10% probably have some sort of hilarious grudge against Canada.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Sorry, don't need it. We can handle ourselves. Please don't push that.

I accept your apology.

Not given. Sorry.

Re-read my post with a Colbert-esque sarcasm, it should make sense then.

new topics

top topics

join