It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the water in Boston, MA.. ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It all started last night, When i returned home from a long walk/jog with my dog.. My dog was panting and out of breath, so I dumped out his dish and proceeded to re-fill it with fresh water from the Tap.. I walked out of the room turned on the laptop for some ATS.. Got involved in a thread.

When i returned to the kitchen, The first thing i noticed was my Dog's water bowl had not gone down any.. And he was sitting next to it with his tail down.. I proceeded to say "whats wrong boy.. go get a drink".. After about 5 minutes of trying to get him to drink the water, I finally dumped it out.. and proceeded to refill the dish with spring water..
The dog sniffed at his dish for a second, and drank it without hesitation..

I thought nothing of it, as sometimes dog's can be picky or strange like that..

Then this morning I woke up, Turned on the shower.. Proceeded to get my clothes together for the day.. When i returned to the bathroom.. As soon as i opened the door, The smell of chlorine hit me in the face, (Similar to the smell of a freshly cleaned pool)

The room was full of steam, Nothing out of the ordinary there.. So i jumped in the shower, And i was in it literally for about two minutes before i jumped out to wipe my eyes.. It felt as if my eyes had been on fire.. Ever since they have been scratchy and bloodshot..

I got dressed proceeded with my day, But all day long that incident from the shower stayed in the back of my head.. not associating it with the incident i had with my dog last night, at first..

I went out to do a few things, When i returned home i realised that my dogs dish was still full to the top with water ( Once again, tap water i left out for him) Yet his food dish was completely empty.. Once again i dumped it out, and refilled it with spring water.. He then proceeded seconds later to finish every drop..

So this leads me to the question.. What the hell is in the water in Boston,Ma ?

T-V

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Mass Tap water? Yuck!

Need to move up here to NH and get some real well water, that city crap is loaded with chlorine, flouride, and all kinds of unknowns.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

They are overchlorinating your water. Call them and ask why.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Thats what i figured.. It makes you wonder why.. I may have to make a friendly little visit to my local town hall tomorrow to figure out what is going on, and why..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
Mass Tap water? Yuck!

Need to move up here to NH and get some real well water, that city crap is loaded with chlorine, flouride, and all kinds of unknowns.

HAHA, Yes the mass tap water has always been on the nasty side, But this is just ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Oh that? The funny chlorine smell?

Thats to cover up the smell of iodine lol.

Probably someone not paying attention, a new guy, or they have just pulled the standpipes and cleaned and scrubbed down the inside of the tanks.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I believe you can take a sample to the local university for free testing. Also you can buy a water check package at the hardware store. As someone mentioned, they could have cleaned/scrubbed the tanks and facility maybe.
Good luck...

spec

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's full of fluoride, radiation and 18 other dangerous drugs...Just like everywhere else in this country....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

If that's the case.. The least they could do is inform the citizens they are cleaning out the pipes.. I mean I have smelled chlorine in water before.. But never like this.. The smell alone is still lingering in the bathroom.. And the last time the faucet was on in there was at 8:00 this morning it is now 6:07pm..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Happens here in Western NY on occasion, but usually later in the summer when there is a drought on. Here it means that they dectected a rise in bacteria in the Niagara river. It can also mean that somebody screwed up and added too much chlorine.My sympathies.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

That is actually a good idea..
.. I mean i think people deserve to know if there water has unsafe levels of chlorine in it..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
My water smells like this on a daily basis as we do have to put chlorine in it along with salt and water softner.

Do you have a well?
Do you have a filtration system?
Are you the one who takes care of it? - if not ask your service man if hes changed anything lately -

If no to all those.

And you get public water, try using a pool testing kit I think that would be a easy way to see the chlorine levels.
I could be wrong but I don't think it's uncommon for most places to have the water treated with chlorine or a similar chemical.

Here's a link explaining why it may be used Why is Chlorine added to tap water?

Chlorine isn't good for your pet, but the strange thing is I can't keep mine away from it!
They rather drink out of the sink, toilet, or pool then drink the bottled water I give them.
Go figure.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I guess this is the norm:

Chlorine is present in most disinfected drinking-water at concentrations of 0.2–1 mg/litre (3).

www.access.gpo.gov...
water.epa.gov...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

Yeah it's public water.. Thanks for all the information, I may have to make a run to my local hardware store tomorrow morning and get one of those testing kit's..

I just found the entire thing a little weird.. I have lived in Mass for most of my life, And have never experienced the water being this blatantly unsafe..

I mean i have smelled a slight chlorine type odor in the water before.. But like i already said.. Never like this.. It was similar to walking into a freshly chlorinated pool and opening your eyes.. Also, This is the first time my dog has ever done this.. Refusing to drink out of his dish..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

So anything above 0.2–1 mg/litre would be considered unsafe?.. If my water tests above those level's You better believe i will be at the town hall door step tomorrow morning demanding answers..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I can relate to your situation...I know nothing about your area but here in South Texas where I live (rural location) we have a similar issue and I have gone to great lengths to get "answers."
In a nutshell,what I have been "told" is that they can and do "over chlorinate" from time to time depending on residual bateria buildups.
They have regulations and "guidelines" as to "how much" chlorine is considered "acceptable" but it's grey area down here...I fight pesticide spraying and other issues relating to farming and ranching to a point where I am ready to relocate.I DO believe that down here,they "over chlorinate" to kill whatever ELSE might be present in the water and that isn't good.
There are minimums but not maximums and "they" decide how much and when.
I have switched to a double flitration system that does the trick on two faucets for drinking water and when it really gets bad ie,the swimming pool in the shower smell issue,I have someone who covertly goes to the closest water-main and "dumps" it to rid it of any residual chlorine buildups...
It's horrible and simply ridiculous what we pay to put up with!
edit on 27-4-2011 by irishchic because: addition

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Here in Southern Ontario we draw our water from Lake Huron, not bad water but if there is a North wind they add chlorine like no tomorrow.
The North wind stirs up the crap and they add more than usual chlorine to combat the bugs.
About 3 weeks ago we put in a Reverse Osmosis system just for drinking and cooking water.
We also bought a water tester for suspended particles only but it gives you a good idea of how good your water is.
Our tap water reads at about 109, our filtered water reads about 4.
RO systems remove all the crap to the point there are some web sites that claim its dangerous to drink this water all the time because you are missing certain minerals in the natural water.
Here we both eat well and take a vitamin and skip all the crap in our water including medical waste which is one of the largest polluters of our water today.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Funny Even before this incident i was thinking about picking up a filtration system.. I guess now i have a reason to do so..

Thanks for reminding me, HAHA

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I live in Western Mass. and I haven't noticed anything. But, I am also on well water which is fantastic.

I have a few friends who live in Boston, so I can ask a few questions to see if they've noticed the same thing. Hhhhhhmm...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CalmAsHinduCows

That would be great!
Please do ask them.. It would be great if some other people also are experiencing this as well, and could possibly test there water also.. Then we may have a solid case to work with!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join