It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft asking for our password?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hello All!

I found this e-mail from microsoft.
Do you all know something about it?

Subject: Data Upgrade!
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:21:32 +0000

Dear Valued Member,

Due to the congestion in our Hotmail servers, there would be removal of all unused Hotmail Accounts. You will have to confirm if your E-mail is still active by filling out your login info below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 48 hours for security reasons.

User name:..............................

Password:.................................

Date of Birth:..............................

Ensure every detail requested above is provided correctly upon receipt of this notification to enable the upgrade.
Incomplete details and wrong passwords forwarded will result in suspension or closure of your account for security reasons.

Note: YOUR DETAILS WILL NOT BE SHARED.
We'll keep making Windows Live! the best email service around.

Sincerely,
Windows Live Alert Team
Microsoft Corporation

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This would be a phishing scam and you can safely ignore it. They will never ask you for your password
I think hotmail also has an option to report the email as a scam
I would also mask your email address in your post.

- Phoenix
edit on 27/4/2011 by phoenix_zephyr because: to add

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by snc24

forward the email to: [email protected]

Thats how you report scams to hotmail.... they will close their account shortly

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This is one of the oldest internet scams alive.

Its called a PHISH.

Basically some scammer, local or foreign, creates a legitimate looking email, and sends it to users asking for information such as :passwords, bank information, and pin numbers.

Companies will NEVER ask for your information through the mail.

Companies will ONLY send out mail that asks you to type in or copy and paste a legitmate URL to the companies website in order to update information, make sure your still active, etc.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
NO COMPANY WILL EVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSWORD. EVER

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by snc24

READ ME: I have a friend who works for MS
He said that they will never ever contact you unless you contacted them first regarding a problem, this as many have pointed out is Phishing!
Ignore it.

Jamie.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

lol@'legitimate looking'

I think I've only ever gotten one or two, maybe, that looked legitimate.

Big points to look for -
1) the address you're receiving the email from is not affiliated with the company it claims to be from
2) it looks highly unprofessional (most of these companies will have very glossy & professional looking messages)
3) hovering over a link in the email shows a web address in your browser taskbar (bottom of screen) that looks to be completely unrelated to the company sending the email.
4) the email shows no indication that the group sending it knows anything about your account - they have no idea who you are or any of your account info
5) my favorite - you don't even deal with the company that's supposedly sending the email - I think all the nice-looking ones I received were supposedly for Bank of America. Easy call on those.

Be safe out there and don't ever assume you can trust blindly, everyone!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Everyone so far is right. SCAM! Report them immediately. If Microsoft wanted you to confirm your email being active they would simply have you click a link without having to supply the info WHICH THEY ALREADY HAVE.

Or you could do what I would do: Respond with a message saying, "I'm sorry but your account seems to be outdated. We will need you to provide an updated form of payment before processing your request. We accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express. Thank you for resolving this issue in a timely fashion so that we may provide you with prompt service."

Management of Scamdinavia

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by snc24

This was from [email protected], not Microsoft.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I don't know, that looks pretty official to me. They even refer to you as a "Valued Member",
so I would naturally assume they have your best interests in mind. The signature Microsoft
errors in grammar only add to the authenticity. However some caution may be warranted, I
often remember what my late grandfather always used to say.

"Give a Nigerian a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach him how to phish and he will eat for the rest of his life".

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Check out
picture.

It can be sent as an email, and they CAN make the "From" part look legitimate.

new topics

top topics

join