It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian families paid more in taxes than necessities of life in 2010.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
"The average Canadian family has seen its total tax bill increase by an astounding 1,686 per cent over the past 49 years. As a result, taxes have become the most significant item in family budgets,"

ca.news.yahoo.com...

I would say I agree. When I make 4500$ a month but only take home 3200$ then have to use that 3200$ to buy items, only to get taxed AGAIN in Provincial tax (also Sales tax depending where you are in this Great country)...

It's getting ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
HST on the East Coast = 15%

And that's after you pay your income tax...ridiculous.

I'm getting ready to head back to Korea.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

9.75% Sales Tax in Los Angeles County.

To me "tax" is no different than getting a visit from the mafia saying you owe some money. You work hard for your money, you should be able to spend it on WHATEVER you want to, not be forced into an extortion scheme to fund criminals I better stop before I turn this thread into a full blown rant on "taxes"...what a terrible word.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We only pay 12% HST in BC but we have nearly no exemptions to the taxes they keep lobbing at us. I'm currently struggling to pay my rent this month and I have no idea as of right now how I'm going to make enough money by the end of May to pay for June's rent. Something dramatic needs to be done.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Taxes have become a way of life I guess.

The one that really gets me is if I buy a 300,000 dollar home with cash, I still have to pay property taxes or it can be taken away. Even tho I own it outright!

If I make improvements, I have to get permission to do so in the form of another theft...a permit. Permission from TPTB to do something on my own property.

And then because of the improvements, my taxes go up again. Robbery!

This is the most unjust tax IMO.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

What is the solution? We're spending more than we make as consumers and as a government. Would lower taxes be acceptable to you if it meant drastic budget cuts for public services?

PS
I'm not trying to be contrarian, I'm genuinely curious as to what you think the solutions are.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

I'm from NB but I live in AB now.

You take your date out for supper. 100$ tab + 15% tip + 15% tax = 130$

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

For British Columbia we have a multi-billion dollar black market based solely around the production and selling of Marijuana. If we legalized it and had it taxed it would provide much needed revenue to the province without having to do any drastic cuts. Money will also be saved just through exclusion of Marijuana from the justice system.

As for the whole of Canada... I think the first step is to knock the Conservatives out of Parliament.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

For British Columbia we have a multi-billion dollar black market based solely around the production and selling of Marijuana. If we legalized it and had it taxed it would provide much needed revenue to the province without having to do any drastic cuts. Money will also be saved just through exclusion of Marijuana from the justice system.

As for the whole of Canada... I think the first step is to knock the Conservatives out of Parliament.

Are they going to legalize the sale of it but criminalize production? If they legalized it I'd grow my own and I wouldn't be alone. If you think taxes are going down with the Libs or NDP in power you're obviously smoking some of that bc bud! =) and this is coming from someone planning to vote NDP.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Maybe not a solution, but how about we start collecting taxes from Multi National Corps like GE, Bank of America, (insert next corrupt corporation). When companies take in 38 billion and don't pay a penny in tax, and then the little man on the corner has to hand over half of his $1000 pay check away to fund nonsense, all while hearing about some Corporate CEO's 10 million dollar bonus and him complaining that the recession is hurting business while sipping Mai Tai's at 5 star resorts. T&C wont allow me to truly express my hatred of taxation....damn you T&C

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Its no different than the Barbarians rushing into town and stealing goods and leaving only to come back 2 weeks later when there food ran out. They got tired of getting an ear chopped off here and a toe chopped off there so they got tired of doing this cause it was too hard,so they set up a castle in the city to torture slaves that didn't obey with them. They taxed the townspeople like the government taxes us today ......this my freinds is the first forms of government!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Originally posted by jude11

I'm from NB but I live in AB now.

You take your date out for supper. 100$ tab + 15% tip + 15% tax = 130$

I use this math formula when I tell my date to get in da kitchen and make me a sammich! lol

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

I agree with you. I think the rich and corporations should pay more in tax. The problem with that is if you tax them too much they just end up moving their wealth to other countries with favorable tax environments. I suppose if people were less greedy and willing to pay their fair share that would be a solution, but then so would alchemy and their is little hope of that happening either. =)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You must have a really good accountant because I'm grossing more than you per month and taking less home. Got to love that 38% right off the pay check. I love CPP especially since I'll never collect it.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I live in Toronto and the amount of $ being sucked out of us is insane!
38% Income Tax
13% HST (Harmonized Federal + Provincial Tax) on all goods
an additional $75 on automobile plate registration sticker renewal
10% increase on water services
10% increase in solid waste disposal and recycling
3% increase in electricity service due to (get this!) loss in Hydro revenue due to conservation! We get dinged for saving electricity!!!
4% increase in natural gas services
And they're talking about introducing an entertainment tax to TV cable services

Hell, why don't you just tax me every time I take a sh*t! Oh wait, you already do that...

BASTAGES!

don't get me started on gasoline prices...

edit on 27-4-2011 by Konstantinos because: number adjustments

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

That is the question. I would love to see them legalize the production of it and have people purchase growing/selling licenses. That way we can offer people the opportunity to make money from the industry in small business form as well as large corporations. If it were legalized tomorrow I would start my own home business by the end of the day. It would undoubtly create many jobs if they legalized the production.

But because a majority of the marijuana produced in BC is actually taken across the border to the USA the Americans definitely do not want to see it legalized because they spend most of their anti-drug funding on marijuana trafficking.

new topics

top topics

join