It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Weaponry and Armor: Zombie Outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

First off I would like to start by saying this thread is meant for others to share ideas about what kinds of weapons and armor they would create using basic materials found in our homes if there were a zombie outbreak.

*DISCLAIMER*

Please DO NOT post schematics or give detailed explanations on how to create these weapons and armor, just give a brief description of what it is and how it would be used. I say this because I do not want to create a "anarchists cookbook" type thread that could get us in trouble, as we in the ATS community do not condone such behavior nor condone the harming of anyone or anything. This is strictly hypothetical and frankly I'm just curious to see how many other DIY people are out there that have dabbled in this hobby or thought about it.

*END DISCLAIMER*

So here goes:

WEAPONS:

Hairspray Torch:

Pretty self explanatory, would be a short range flamer with minimum capacity, but easy storage and transport. Would probably have minimal usage against zombies, but would function as much as a survival tool as a last resort weapon. Also ammo obviously would be plentiful.

Head Snapper:

My greatest design IMO for defense against zombie, this fore-arm mounted pneumatic claw would be used to decapitate zombies at extreme close range. The curved blades are forced together via a pneumatic piston with great force, looks kinda like a crab claw. Obviously this would be the best close quarters weapon against a zombie, but against a horde it would be hard to use quickly and effectively. Still the best for melee defense/offense on small numbers and completely effective in putting the zombie down. Has blood splash sheild as well.

Pile Bunker:

If the head snapper si not your thing, the good ole pile bunker is a great choice. This design can vary widely in range, power and ROF depending on your design, but essentially it does the same thing; drive a spike with great force into a target. This could possibly be modified to have a flat ram or hammer instead of a spike for deterrence, but again that is up to the designer. Not as effective as the head snapper, but much better range and is more multi-funtional. Break locks, doors, even walls with it to escape if need be. A good over all design, but more often they are quite heavy.

Bolt Sling:

For ranged attacks you will want a projectile weapon. for this the magnetic bolt sling is a good choice for short to mid range attacks. Uses an electro magnet for propulsion and as it sounds, propels a metal bolt at the target. Obviously the power and range would vary greatly between designs, though anything longer than medium range would be terribly innaccurate given the bolts shape and aerodynamics. Has enough weight though per bolt to cause grevious damage if slung fats enough. This would likely be a mounted system firing heavy 1/2 lb bolts.

Junk Gun (or 'Junker' as i call it):

Well obviously I figured a weapon that could use almost anything as ammo would be a fun, though difficult, weapon to build as you would simply never run out of ammo. This is a wide barreled weapon that would be like a post-apocolyptic shotgun, but looks like a blunderbuss at the barrel. You stuff the barrel with whatever you want, rocks, nuts and bolts, silverware, dirt, you name it. It would use combustion preassure as the propellent and frankly would function very similar to a blunderbuss of old. Would shred anything at short range, even using dirt/sand! Preferred ammo would be coins, dice, golf balls, BBs/ball bearings, nails, etc...

Assault Shield:

This can be looted riot shield, or any home made defensive sheild. Limited in offensive capability, this is to serve as a buffer between you and the zombies (think '28 days later' dad with riot shield). However the assault shield would have added protrusions on the front to do mare damage to an attacking zombie. My personal choice would be to add tazer system that electrifies the front of the sheild to shock the zombies and stun them. I would use this in conjuction with the head snapper and body armor to make yourself a melee powerhouse against even groups of zombies.

ARMOR

Light body armor/Scout armor:

This armor consists of layered and stitched leather and polyester that is light and capable of stopping a bite from breaking the skin are causing a wound. Would be employed around the neck, shoulders, arms, legs and feet. The head, groin and torso would be exposed as these are not prime spots to be bitten from an initial attack, and it is light enough to let the person wearing it run away from a group and would not tire them quickly over a long distance haul. Obviously this is for scouts only and should not be used in assaults as it does not protect your vitals.

Medium body armor/skirmish armor:

This armor uses similar amterials and design from the light armor, but incorporates impact plastics (pads) on the external portion of the armor in key locations. It also covers the torso and groin, though the head is still exposed. Used for light assaults and group foraging/supply gathering. Still light enough to run if need be, but heavier protection comes with heavier weight so a long run would be taxing. Would be good when used with ranged weapons as it still allows good mobility.

Heavy Armor/Assault armor:

This armor uses strictly hardened materials on all major exposed areas, including a full helmet and 'cowboy collar' for the neck. Outside is almost totally covered in hard plastics/light metals and rotational points are layered plastic scale. This armor is heavy and restricts fast movement, but completely protects the wearer from bite, scratches and many enviromental hazards. Best when used in conjunction with a head snapper and assault sheild. This armor lets you get into the thick of it without getting bitten, though the weight is a disadvantage. Just don't get knocked down alot, getting up is difficult when exhausted. The user could still sprint but would be unable to do any long distance run while wearing the armor. This is best used as a defensive setup for your base of operations, where running is not necessary and you can simply slice the heck out any zombie that attacks your position.

These are just a FEW of my ideas for such a scenario. Have fun with this guys, remember nothing is too crazy and this is PURELY hypothetical. Looking forward to everyones ideas.

edit on 27-4-2011 by Mikemp44 because: Shpelling

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My friend had a good idea to corral them into a large holding pin and have some sharp razor wire from end to end run down the corral for decapitation purposes.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A lot of what you are suggesting is worthless. Read Max Brooks books, he will explain what to use and why.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

Definitely could work, but who would you use as bait to get them in there?
My idea would be a 20ft pit where I could burn them for hours until only bone is left. It would stink but none the less be effective.
They would just be pushed into it using assault shields.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I don't know about useless, but I surely will check out the author you suggested.

By the way, love the avatar.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Zombies my favorite hypothetical scenario thingy. Silly yes I know but who hasnt thought "what if"

weapons
12 gauge
.22 rifle
.30 .06/.308/.30 .30/7.62x54/8mm(any large caliber rifle will do)
.40/.45/9mm/7.62x25/.357/.38 or any other potent handgun
baseball bat/machete/axe/club or some other striking chopping weapon

"armor"
gas mask(looks very cool, customizable too I put l.e.d's in mine so the eyes glow green)
ballistic helmet or old army surplus
old bullet proof vest or flak jacket
motorcycle denim or leather jacket(add duct tape to the denim and your bite proof)
jeans
steeltoe boots
or you can buy a riot suit for a few hundred dollars

Yea so basically everything you need is available and easy to get ahold of, well in the US anyway.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

That's the beginning of the movie Ghost Ship.
Except they weren't zombies.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Byteman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
paintball gun grenade launcher mod?¿

as a mechanical engineering student with horrible add i find myself actually putting alot of effort into contemplating how i would handle a zombie apocalypse.

as far as DIY weaponry is concerned,amongst other obscure concepts, ive been toying with the possibility/practicality of modifying a paintball gun to rapid-fire small incendiary/explosive devices. have any of you guys have ever seen those cheesy little smoke 'bombs'? well long story short they are perfectly sized little spheres that contain a very small amount of black powder and after a pyrotechnic 'fashion' can be manipulated into tiny bombs.

if i could figure out a way to arm them as they pass through the chamber, im pretty sure i could be feeding a horde of hungry zombies upwards of 15 tiny grenades per second. and yes it would require a nice supply of compressed air and some mild explosives, but i think it would be well worth a shot.

zombietools.net...
plus any combination of the vicious blades on this website for when sh!t gets personal..

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by iiTHINKforMYSELF

Excellent idea!!!

One suggestion, use a nitroglyceride mixture in the balls, the explosion on impact would be tremendous for its size and no need for an igniter.

Star for you sir!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikemp44
reply to post by iiTHINKforMYSELF

Excellent idea!!!

One suggestion, use a nitroglyceride mixture in the balls, the explosion on impact would be tremendous for its size and no need for an igniter.

Star for you sir!

hmmmmmmmmmmm...

thats quite possibly the missing link..
if i could figure out how to make a compound stable enough to withstand the force from the bolt, we could be in serious bussiness..

plus would simplify the necesary gun modifications immensely..

so that gold star actually belongs to you for helping move that design from the feasible to the very possible pile

new topics

top topics

join